Airline Fares

lrn2cruise

Where are you finding these crazy fares?

You don't name any specific dates, but I see lots of nonstop fares from BOS-FLL for much less then you are finding, through the end of this year.

Lots of dates on JetBlue for June as low as $230 RT for nonstops. Many dates for July, Aug 2012 on this routing for $265 RT on JetBlue. For Sep, Oct. Nov through the third week of December 2012, lots of roundtrips for $250 on JetBlue.

Im looking this April and next Feb and next April...Jet Blue and SW arent out for next year yet, just this April. Vacation weeks which doesn't help, but guess when families have to travel;)

1. The number of people in NY (or anywhere) earning $80k/day is so small that it has virtually no effect on airline fare pricing. It's not as though airlines are filling their planes with people earning 20 million/year. :rolleyes:

2. While salaries on average may be higher in NY, so is the cost of living. Significantly so.

Exactly! A family of 4 making 80 K living in the metro NY or greater Boston area is generally struggling to meet housing costs that can easily be 40-50 % of their income. Most of my family members are professionals with college degrees making 100K as a family and with housing costs (in modest homes) they cannot afford to cruise (or take a big WDW trip) more than once every few years. (we ask them to come all the time;)) They are more likely take a road trip or stay with relatives for vacation.

Its just like the airfares...supply and demand, more people want to live here, housing is higher, but so are salaries to attract in demand professionals.

Our upcoming trip to Ft. Lauderdale is the second time we will fly out of Buffalo instead of Toronto because it will save us lots of money. In November we saved $200.00 each and it's even a bit bigger savings for this trip. We have found that if you book early i.e. months ahead, you get the best prices. If you wait til last minute the price is crazy. We are paying $499.00 for both of us on SW, bought in January. Same seats today are going for $980.00. Huge difference. As the saying goes, the earlybird catches the worm.

I just priced Newark, NJ to Miami. It was over $1000 PP. That's ECONOMY!!! The schedule window just opened up (I'm flying in February), but that's absurd.

Again, I'd have to ask where in the world are you finding this pricing? I am assuming this is for your Feb 16, 2013 cruise?

I see RT tickets at $275 pp for your travel dates on AA. These are nonstop flights. You may want to give them a look.

We just booked our airfare for our cruise. We chose to fly out of our little regional airport which we know we would pay a little more for due to the convenience, but our round trip from Bloomington, IL to FLL is $929 total for the two of us!

Again, I'd have to ask where in the world are you finding this pricing? I am assuming this is for your Feb 16, 2013 cruise?

I see RT tickets at $275 pp for your travel dates on AA. These are nonstop flights. You may want to give them a look.

It was United EWR-MIA - and last night the tickets were $1018 per person and they still are right now. I'm flying in on Friday the 15th and home the 23rd.

I will not fly in on the morning of the cruise from New York in winter, but even if I chose to, the flights are stil $645 per person on United.

That's absurd.

American right now is $414 pp

It was United EWR-MIA - and last night the tickets were $1018 per person and they still are right now. I'm flying in on Friday the 15th and home the 23rd.

I will not fly in on the morning of the cruise from New York in winter, but even if I chose to, the flights are stil $645 per person on United.

That's absurd.

I don't know where you are getting the AA prices. I can clearly see in SABRE and on the AA website nonstop flights from EWR/MIA and return for $300 or less.

Flight 1623, leaving on the 15th from EWR at 1:55PM

Flight 692, leaving on the 23rd from MIA at 11:50AM.

$294.60pp

I'd be jumping all over that fare during PEAK travel times.

Why you would choose the expensive UA flights and then complain about the price is kind of weird when there are other options available.

Are you trying to book 4 or more seats at the same time??? That could be one BIG problem. There are only so many seats left in the cheapest fare buckets. There may NOT be 4 or more in the same fare bucket. So the computer will AUTOMATICALLY shift you into a fare bucket that has 4 or more seats at a much higher price. Try booking them in 1's or 2's. Then you will get a lower fare per ticket. Like dollar cost averaging in the stock market.

I don't know where you are getting the AA prices. I can clearly see in SABRE and on the AA website nonstop flights from EWR/MIA and return for $300 or less.

Flight 1623, leaving on the 15th from EWR at 1:55PM

Flight 692, leaving on the 23rd from MIA at 11:50AM.

$294.60pp

I'd be jumping all over that fare during PEAK travel times.

Why you would choose the expensive UA flights and then complain about the price is kind of weird when there are other options available.

Are you trying to book 4 or more seats at the same time??? That could be one BIG problem. There are only so many seats left in the cheapest fare buckets. There may NOT be 4 or more in the same fare bucket. So the computer will AUTOMATICALLY shift you into a fare bucket that has 4 or more seats at a much higher price. Try booking them in 1's or 2's. Then you will get a lower fare per ticket. Like dollar cost averaging in the stock market.

I'm not booking UA - I was just researching and stating how expensive they were. I usually fly Continental (now United) and never ever paid that price. Just a statement.

Also, the return flight 2 hours ago was $290 and now it's $170. So yeah, I can jump on that now, but 2 hours ago I couldn't.

and a question - so I buy 2 tickets at the less than $300 fare. But the other 3 I need end up being over $400 a piece - or higher because I don't know what they'll be - or after I book, find it's unavailable. Then what??? I can't buy 2 and then the next 3 HOPING they're still available and/or not a bazillion dollars a piece.

I'm not booking UA - I was just researching and stating how expensive they were. I usually fly Continental (now United) and never ever paid that price. Just a statement.

Also, the return flight 2 hours ago was $290 and now it's $170. So yeah, I can jump on that now, but 2 hours ago I couldn't.

and a question - so I buy 2 tickets at the less than $300 fare. But the other 3 I need end up being over $400 a piece - or higher because I don't know what they'll be - or after I book, find it's unavailable. Then what??? I can't buy 2 and then the next 3 HOPING they're still available and/or not a bazillion dollars a piece.

There's not really "then what". You take your chances - either taking your chance to book later, or taking your chance to book now. Either way, you're going to have to take a chance.

Several years ago, my buddy and I were flying to Italy, and booked our tickets within 10 minutes of each other. I grabbed the last fare in its bucket, so my ticket was $750 r/t, while his was $850 or so just 10 minutes later. Things change quickly. You'll have to take a chance.

I understand I'm taking a chance - but I can't take a chance buying 2 at a lower fare and then not having 3 more tickets available. Can't leave some kids home!!

I can deal with 3 being higher than the other 2, but can't chance them not being available. So I guess I can't do that. I don't know how many tickets are available at a given time.

and we're not all experts, so when someone comes here with a question (or even a statement), jumping all over them with your expertise doesn't help. It just makes us go elsewhere for help. (see: "Why you would choose the expensive UA flights and then complain about the price is kind of weird when there are other options available"). Nobody said I was buying those, I was just stating that WOW that's expensive and never has been before.

That's absurd.

Sometimes flying into FLL is cheaper then you can use transportation from FLL to Miami.:)

I happened to get a e-mail from United today notifying me of a time change.:rolleyes: So I decided to check my fares again...from EWR to FLL is over 800.00 pp at my scheduled times...thats almost doubled since I checked a couple of weeks ago.

Sometimes flying into FLL is cheaper then you can use transportation from FLL to Miami.:)

I happened to get a e-mail from United today notifying me of a time change.:rolleyes: So I decided to check my fares again...from EWR to FLL is over 800.00 pp at my scheduled times...thats almost doubled since I checked a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you! Last time we flew to Miami, but I'm checking both FLL and MIA. Whatever works better. I didn't even think of that last time I sailed Epic - so glad I know that this time. Thanks again :)

I understand I'm taking a chance - but I can't take a chance buying 2 at a lower fare and then not having 3 more tickets available. Can't leave some kids home!!

I can deal with 3 being higher than the other 2, but can't chance them not being available. So I guess I can't do that. I don't know how many tickets are available at a given time.

and we're not all experts, so when someone comes here with a question (or even a statement), jumping all over them with your expertise doesn't help. It just makes us go elsewhere for help. (see: "Why you would choose the expensive UA flights and then complain about the price is kind of weird when there are other options available"). Nobody said I was buying those, I was just stating that WOW that's expensive and never has been before.

1. Don't take answers personally.

2. I agree, why would you discuss prices on an airline when you have no intention of booking them? And then be peeved when offered cheaper options?

3. You can find out if you can book all the tickets at the same price. Simply do a quick dummy booking and see. Or, just call the airline.

4. I am not sure anyone on a chat board would care where someone goes for information. Do what works for you.

OK...let's go through this step by step.

First the premise: You have 5 people that need to fly together on the same flight.

Now, if you plug in a request for 1 seat, you get a price of $XXX per person. If you plug in a request for 5 seats, you get a price of $YYY.

What do we know? Well, since they are willing to sell five seats, we know there is at least that much TOTAL inventory on the flight. If it would burp and not sell 5, then we would know there were less than that number available IN TOTAL.

Next, we know that there is at least one seat available at the $XXX level. And at least one seat needs to be booked at the $YYY level. Now it is just a matter of finding out the current "mix" of inventory buckets.

Time for either ExpertFlyer (which lets you see inventory buckets) or trial and error. If the latter, try buying 4 seats. If it gives you the $XXX price, you know that there are four seats available at that lowest rate and you only have to buy one at the higher $YYY price. If you still get $YYY, then you know that there are less than four in the XXX bucket. Keep trying. When you reach the number of seats that you can buy for $XXX, you know the max available at that price. BUY THEM!! Do not wait.

Hypothetically, you now have three confirmed, purchased seats on the flight. Now to get two more. Try to buy one. If you get the $YYY price, then you know that it is the lowest bucket available, so buy both of the other tickets. If you get a price lower than $YYY but higher than $XXX, you know that there is some intermediate level available. In this case, buy one ticket for the new "in between" price, and the other at $YYY.

Now you are all on the same flight, just with two (or three, or more) different ticket locators. BIG DEAL. There is nothing wrong or difficult about having a party with multiple locators or separate tickets within the group.

Just use this technique and you can gauge how many tickets are at what price level.

Finally, your worry about buying tickets and then being stuck because you can't get more is fallacious. On most all tickets (except for very special fares or conso/bulk rates through 3rd parties), you would have at least 24 hours to cancel at no charge. So you aren't stuck. See your airline for their specific policies.

If you follow this forum, you'll get to know that "gee, it's more expensive" type posts contribute little. If I posted for every time I bought a ticket that cost more than it did three years ago, I'd be barred for spamming! Your post came across as wanting assistance. It was provided. Further, a number of us try to help people think through their purchasing processes. It was entirely possible that you are operating from inaccurate assumptions, thus the questions probing for more information.

You've received lots of assistance on how to resolve your flight issues. I would go and buy those tickets soon.

Just keep checking the airfares on a daily basis. About 3 weeks ago, I booked a direct flight from Indy to Tampa on AirTran for $110 each way. The fare was only at that rate throughout the weekend then Monday morning was back up to $171 pp each way.

:):)

This is tough on the middle class. I would love to know how some of us earn 80,000 a year and some people in NY earn 80,000 a day. Beats me:confused: I missed that boat

$80,000 is a LOT of money! I'd like to know what middle class people are making that amount. We are a family of 5 (living at home), 7 total - and only about $40,000 a year. My grocery/gas/insurance/housing/etc costs are not much different than the rest of America.

$80,000 is a LOT of money! I'd like to know what middle class people are making that amount. We are a family of 5 (living at home), 7 total - and only about $40,000 a year. My grocery/gas/insurance/housing/etc costs are not much different than the rest of America.

You're fortunate to be in an area where you are hopefully living comfortably on that income. A $40k income for a family of 5 would put them at risk of poverty in LA and most other urban areas. A family of 4 making $70-80k per year in any West Coast city is solidly middle-class and might not be able to afford a home. Not complaining or anything, but you're in a microcosm.

Everybody keeps asking why? why? Just look around everything is going up in price. When the government keeps printing money to pay its debts something called inflation kicks in. That's when there is a lot of money around but it is not worth as much as it used to be. No one wants to talk about it but it is there. Again just look around you.

This is not going to change in the near future but you can do your little bit to help change it. Remember this when you get up on that special Tuesday in November then vote and let them know what you think.

Your insurance and housing costs are CONSIDERABLY different than those on either coast, particularly if you are from "small town" Iowa. DH is from Northeastern Iowa, I was born and raised in Los Angeles. When he convinced me to move to Des Moines in 1978, I was astounded how cheap the rents were. I rented a house on Terrace Rd (right down the street from the Governor's mansion) for $350.00 per month. He was shocked at the price-$150 was the norm then. I thought it was a super bargain.

I had my own house in LA rented out for $600 per month and my house in LA was 1/2 the size of the one on Terrace Rd. I now rent that same house in LA for $1700 per month. It is old, it is pretty crappy and certainly not in the best neighborhood. The same family has lived there for 14 years and they can't find anything cheaper. My taxes on that little dump house are over $2800 per year. Insurance is over $1700 per year and that doesn't cover homeowner's stuff-just fire/vandalism and $1,000,000 general liability because it is a rental.

$80,000 doesn't go very far in a lot of the country anymore.

Everybody keeps asking why? why? Just look around everything is going up in price. When the government keeps printing money to pay its debts something called inflation kicks in. That's when there is a lot of money around but it is not worth as much as it used to be. No one wants to talk about it but it is there. Again just look around you.

This is not going to change in the near future but you can do your little bit to help change it. Remember this when you get up on that special Tuesday in November then vote and let them know what you think.

Just to add on to this: Be prepared for another BIG jump in food prices within the next two months. Cattle supplies are at an all time low just in time for BBQ season (Econ 101), lands which produced food are now being taken out of production by totally worthless solar and wind farms and diesel fuel is shooting through the roof. Average price of diesel in CA is now $4.61, more than $.80 higher than it was the first of January. Trucks get 5-6MPG. Meat, produce and every food product you can imagine is trucked across the country.

I was spending an average of $2500 per truck from Coast to Coast for fuel and tolls in December. Now I am very lucky to be able to get a truck from CA to NYC for $3000 for fuel and tolls. And I expect diesel fuel to get very close to $5.00 per gallon national average before the summer-another $500 increase. Trucking companies cannot absorb the additional expense, just like airlines. And airlines and cruise lines buy food which has to be trucked across the country. I see prices going no place but up.

Archived