how to get to port from airport with a toddler?

HalfMoon

When we disembark from Oasis, we will be catching the Alamo shuttle because we have a car rental reservation.

However, when we first arrive, we will need to get to Port Everglades from FLL with our 20 month old toddler. Can she ride in a taxi without a car seat? What options do we have to get to our destination?

Thanks in advance.

(Please no comments on car safety and seat belts.)

May she? No. CAN she? Sure! There are shuttles that don't require kidseats...buses and stuff.

Ditto. If you don't want to use a car seat, find transportation without seatbelts.

If you don't want to start the car seat debate and how the laws of physics don't change when you are on vacation, try posting on the ports of call forum. You'll find more specific information on types of transportation available in those particular areas.

I don't get what you are asking. She is 20 months. The laws in Florida require a car seat even in a taxi (which our taxi drivers from airport to ports have reminded us while we have been in Florida)

I always took car seats in taxis. No debate, just our experience with the drivers.

As others have mentioned, it is illegal for your child to ride in a taxi without a proper carseat. You can read the relevant law here: link.

In your shoes, I'd just bring a carseat.

You can bring her carseat on the plane with you. It will not count toward your luggage allowance. If you prefer, unless it is very large you should be able to gate check it rather than checking it as luggage. When we had to travel with carseats, we used a GoGo Kidz Travelmate so we could wheel the seat (with child in it, if desired) instead of carrying it. They enjoyed that a lot. :D While on the cruise, you can store the seat in a closet or corner of the room.

If her current carseats are heavier than you'd enjoy lugging around, my suggestion would be go to the car-seat.org forums and request a recommendation. You do not have to register. You can post as a guest. Include your daughter's current weight and height (ideally her seated torso height from seat to shoulder), and someone should be able to suggest an inexpensive and lightweight seat for her.

In line with OP's question, do the private shuttles require use of a car seat for toddlers? These aren't actual tour buses but 10-passenger type cars. Alternatively, what have other CCers used and recommended? We will be travelling with our 23mo old and trying to figure out transport as well. thx.

In line with OP's question, do the private shuttles require use of a car seat for toddlers? These aren't actual tour buses but 10-passenger type cars. Alternatively, what have other CCers used and recommended? We will be travelling with our 23mo old and trying to figure out transport as well. thx.

If its a 10 passenger van - same thing, car seat is required in Florida.

The only thing that does not require a car seat is a bus.

We have the britax advocate and it's about as toteable as a large piece of luggage. Will opt for bus tx instead.

Actually, it isn't that bad. Our Britax Marathon (which is bigger than the Advocate) has been to Cuba and two cruises, flying with multiple transfers and pre/post cruise stays. You can attach a carry strap to the UAS bar of the seat so you can wear it on your back, or get one of the devices that attaches it to your rolling carry on and still allows the child to ride in the seat.

It's all about perspective. I am trained and volunteer as a child restraint technician (CRST) in Ontario and would/have never travelled with my children without their appropriate restraints.

The RCI transfers are big huge buses. Pricey, but that's how we avoided bringing a car seat.

We may just go this route to avoid bringing the car seat. Is the toddler charged the same rate as an adult?

We may just go this route to avoid bringing the car seat. Is the toddler charged the same rate as an adult?

We've only traveled with DS at 10 months and 22 months and both times he's been charged full price (but expected to sit on our laps....grrr....) so I'm assuming a toddler would be full price, too!

we decided to rent a car from FLL airport to the port in Miami. I didn't want to bring our car seat so we are renting one from the rental place. We are arriving very early the day of our cruise and didn't want to wait around the airport with our luggage and 3 year old a couple of hours for a shuttle. Between the car and seat its $50. If you decided to go with a bus company you do not need a car seat.

Of course, bring the car seat. I would never dream of not doing so when my kids were that age. If lugging it through the airport is a concern get the traveling toddler strap-it attaches the car seat to a rolling suitcase and the kids can ride in it like that (which mine always loved).

IMO traveling with little ones means lots of stuff, there's no way around it.

Unfortunately, regardless of personal opinion, it is illegal for her to ride without a car seat in the state of FL. Unless you are on a public bus. Shuttle/van, or car...she has to have one.

(I'm taking my 2 kids both car seat age on a cruise, so I understand where you're coming from)

But, like a pp said, I just accept that travel with young ones means this is the way it is. You can probably check the carseat with the steward once you are on board so you don't have to see it till the end of the cruise.

FWIW, we're traveling to Europe with a bjorn travel size packnplay, stroller, an extra bag only for 2 wks worth of diapers and wipes, plus a carseat and booster for my 5 yo. Thats not including the typical baby stuff that I've kept to an absolute minimum...we just laugh and roll with the punches. What can you do?

Just a follow-up to my post. Called Cruise Air and they charged us $17pp (CAD) for RCI's shuttle bus service. They did not charge for the toddler since she can sit in my lap.

I also read somewhere that our luggage will be handed over to the port guys for us so that will save us a few dollars in tips as well. Overall, the cost of RCI's shuttle is not much more than the taxi but gives us the peace of mind of not breaking any laws.

Last week, we just booked a shuttle that had carseats. Call around and most will have one. I was told the taxi's do not but most shuttle companies will provide a carseat for you to use.

A BTDT warning...shuttle companies will promise you the moon to get your business, but don't always come through. I have been assured on multiple occasions that appropriate car/booster seats will be available for my children upon our arrival, but they are never to be found. I have seen very upset parents at a rental car check-in being told there are no car seats left for their children, or that the seat is expired/recalled/dirty/otherwise unsuitable for use. Plus it is up to you, not the shuttle/taxi company, to install the seat correctly, and you may or may not have the instruction manual.

This is why I travel with my own car seats.

Archived