Shore tour price for teenagers an absolute con!!

Have just been looking at tours for our upcoming cruise to Cairns. Usually I would book most tours privately because as we well know, the ship overcharges massively. Given my kids are now young teenagers, I have also noticed that on most of the tours, P and O charge adult price from 13 years of age. None of the private operators start the adult price until at least 15. Given I have been checking the exact same tours that P and O offer, this is highway robbery!! It can mean the difference of $40 or more per child! I have been able to book some tours privately but unfortunately in Airlie Beach, P and O has a bit of a monopoly. The ship leaves at 4pm yet none of the private tour companies are back by then. Leaves no option but to book through P and O. This is going to add probably another $200 at least for my family of 4. Not only are the two children both classified as adults but as always, the adult price is dearer anyway!! What a rip off!!!:mad:

When we cruised the coastal cruise and went to Airlie Beach there were tour operators at the info centre where the tender drops you off selling tours. Many people got up early to get the first tender and then booked this way.

We've always thought how unfair the system is. Our kids have grown up and left home, but it was the rule on every form of transport and tourist attractions, that after they were 12 they paid adult fares, although for other things they were designated as children until they were 16!

Have just been looking at tours for our upcoming cruise to Cairns. Usually I would book most tours privately because as we well know, the ship overcharges massively. Given my kids are now young teenagers, I have also noticed that on most of the tours, P and O charge adult price from 13 years of age. None of the private operators start the adult price until at least 15. Given I have been checking the exact same tours that P and O offer, this is highway robbery!! It can mean the difference of $40 or more per child! I have been able to book some tours privately but unfortunately in Airlie Beach, P and O has a bit of a monopoly. The ship leaves at 4pm yet none of the private tour companies are back by then. Leaves no option but to book through P and O. This is going to add probably another $200 at least for my family of 4. Not only are the two children both classified as adults but as always, the adult price is dearer anyway!! What a rip off!!!:mad:

That's interesting because our last cruise (18 months ago) we did the QLD coastal cruise and I looked into doing stuff in Cairns privately but it wasn't much cheaper and we ran the risk of missing the ship if the tour was late so we just booked through P&O. If you go to any of the theme parks on the GC (just an example) adults are 13 & up.

why is it that a 12 yr old has to pay an adult fair but can not vote or drink in a pub.

in the v war the same question came up fight in a war and get die at 18 but you can not vote, so what did the pollies do lowered the voting age to 18 lol idiots.

so why do or does an 12 yr old have to pay an adult fair. yes there students fair but they do not count over sea's.

As an accommodation provider any extra person is an extra bed or extra work regardless of age.

Some children make much more mess and do way more damage than adults-

in buses and on tours they still take up a full seat.

Either don't have kids or leave them at home.

We are taking our 2 year old grandson in a plane in a couple of weeks time-

he is the same price as an adult as he will be in his own seat.

When you have kids you just have to accept it or stay home.

After many years raising children and having no option other than to travel in school holidays I can sympathise it makes everything soooo expensive.

As the OP says there are a lot of private tour operators in Airlie Beach..we had organised a big group to go to the reef from the Diamond Princess but the weather was awful and so it was cancelled the tour operator refunded all our money no question and we had arranged a special early tender for our group.

Hop on your roll call and see if you can organise something privately if its your charter you can specify what time you want to be back. Our operator had 4 high speed boats...those navy type ribs..would be a thrilling ride for your teenagers.

Every trip I use my OBC towards a special tour that way the price doesn't seem so bad. Otherwise I do my own thing or someone on the roll call always has something happening. Kids are never too young to be part of the planning for a holiday..they can understand that you can only do so many things with the funds available..make them part of the process and the budget planning..good life lessons for them for the future.

Airlie Beach is a nice stop..I am sure you will have a good time no matter what you do there.

thied you are not making any sense.....what has a 12 year old got to do with not being able to vote or drink in a pub

what is a child or teen?

you can not vote till you are 18 yrs of age.

so in the eyes of the law you not an adult till you are 18.

so why should any one under the age of 18 should be paying adult prices?

what is a child or teen?

you can not vote till you are 18 yrs of age.

so in the eyes of the law you not an adult till you are 18.

so why should any one under the age of 18 should be paying adult prices?

Why does it matter to the tour operator whether or not they can vote? It is totally irrelevant. The adult price is charged because they take up the same space (seat) as an adult and if a meal is involved they eat as much as an adult. In my experience teenage boys eat even more than most adults. :D

Why does it matter to the tour operator whether or not they can vote? It is totally irrelevant. The adult price is charged because they take up the same space (seat) as an adult and if a meal is involved they eat as much as an adult. In my experience teenage boys eat even more than most adults. :D

so you are ok with children being charged adult prices is every way ?

at what age does a child be come an adult?

at what age does a charge become responsable for the actions as a an adult in the eyes of the law?

is a teenager a child?

you wil find on any public transport any child school age passenger must give up the seat for and standing paying adult .

are we tring to make our chilren loose the child hood?

so where it comes to r rated shows as the are on cruise ships, r rate movies, night clubs, pubs, eg if you are under 18 you can not enter as you are a child, but in any other sector you are an adult.

We've always thought how unfair the system is. Our kids have grown up and left home, but it was the rule on every form of transport and tourist attractions, that after they were 12 they paid adult fares, although for other things they were designated as children until they were 16!

how old are you children?

so you are ok with children being charged adult prices is every way ?

at what age does a child be come an adult?

at what age does a charge become responsable for the actions as a an adult in the eyes of the law?

is a teenager a child?

you wil find on any public transport any child school age passenger must give up the seat for and standing paying adult .

are we tring to make our chilren loose the child hood?

so where it comes to r rated shows as the are on cruise ships, r rate movies, night clubs, pubs, eg if you are under 18 you can not enter as you are a child, but in any other sector you are an adult.

I don't know what R rated shows and the other points you mention have to do with the cost to a tour operator of a place on their tours and whether they should be giving a discount.

I well remember having to pay adult fare for our children when flying overseas starting when they were 12. :D

I understand that kids take up as much room etc as adults so therefore this is a strong argument for kids paying the same price as adults. Not saying I agree with it but definitely do understand it! What I dont get is how P and O can charge adult price when other tour operators are charging kid prices or even family prices for exactly the same tour. Seems like a cunning way for them to make a quick buck. One example is the kuranda rail day trip. It's about $200 cheaper for me to book it locally rather than go thru ship. Don't know how they can get away with it!!

I understand that kids take up as much room etc as adults so therefore this is a strong argument for kids paying the same price as adults. Not saying I agree with it but definitely do understand it! What I dont get is how P and O can charge adult price when other tour operators are charging kid prices or even family prices for exactly the same tour. Seems like a cunning way for them to make a quick buck. One example is the kuranda rail day trip. It's about $200 cheaper for me to book it locally rather than go thru ship. Don't know how they can get away with it!!

Yes I see what you mean,

They do because they can.And they will fill the tours whether you go/ and your teenagers go or not.

That is why in some cases land based holidays can work out way cheaper than cruises.

Perhaps you should just choose what is doable and put other activities on a list to do later at another time in a land based holiday.

When our children were younger there were lots of things we couldn't do because of affordability- we still had great holidays though and enjoyed the things we could afford.

We have been on Kurunda Rail ourselves going up on chair lift and back on train.

It was absolutely spoiled for us by two unruly families travelling together.

The parents just let their kids go rampant-

Never again- their noise and antics were completely ignored by train staff and I vowed we would never do it again over a busy period. They were truly abnoxious kids that had obviously travelled all over the world and were spolied rotten- their parents just sat like zombies and let them run wild and scream and carry on. The kids spoke with plums and acted as if they were God's gift.

Obviously money does not necessarily ensure good manners.

It was HARD TO ENJOY THE SCENERY,with all the noise.

I secretly willed that they would not be on our shuttle back to Cairns and thank goodness they weren't- Otherwise I would have probably blown a fuse and confronted the JELLY FISH PARENTS.

What really annoyed us was the Kurunda Staff on the train allowed it to continue.

Cruise lines have to make profits and the shore tours are a big earner for them. That is why I would always recommend joining your roll call. Even if you are not into researching ports and tours yourself there is usually someone on the roll call organising something or someone on CC who has intimate knowledge of the port and what is available to you there.

I have been involved with children intensively for the past couple of decades and I would not have sat quietly while the children annoyed me and everybody else...I would have said something to them..often a little public chastisement works wonders...on the parents! LOL

Sue

That's interesting because our last cruise (18 months ago) we did the QLD coastal cruise and I looked into doing stuff in Cairns privately but it wasn't much cheaper and we ran the risk of missing the ship if the tour was late so we just booked through P&O. If you go to any of the theme parks on the GC (just an example) adults are 13 & up.

I suspect that the idea that cruise ship shore tours are "massively overpriced" is a bit of a myth. I did some research once for trips to the Outer GB reef from the Whitsundays - and found that the private trips were just a little less expensive than the ship organised ones (I would say around 10-15% cheaper), but more difficult to organise. In fact, it was quite difficult to make comparisons between the various shoreside trips - because they were all slightly different in one way or another.

Barry

i do think that a child price should untill they 18 yrs old a going to school,

That way they may be able to afford to out in stead of wondering the streets looking for some thing do.

just may be more families would go on cruise ships.

i do think that a child price should untill they 18 yrs old a going to school,

That way they may be able to afford to out in stead of wondering the streets looking for some thing do.

just may be more families would go on cruise ships.

Even if they went on a 14 night cruise, that is only two weeks out of 52 in the year. If they want to wander the streets there are 50 more weeks in the year to do so.:D

Even if they went on a 14 night cruise, that is only two weeks out of 52 in the year. If they want to wander the streets there are 50 more weeks in the year to do so.:D
would you agree there would be about 200 children over 12 yrs old on each cruise?

would you agree there would be about 200 children over 12 yrs old on each cruise?

Absolutely not!! It depends on what age you classify as 'children'. If you are talking about teenages aged between 13 and 18, there might be close to 200 during school holidays, but out of holidays - no way.

Absolutely not!! It depends on what age you classify as 'children'. If you are talking about teenages aged between 13 and 18, there might be close to 200 during school holidays, but out of holidays - no way.
ok how many chlidren over the of 12 would you say cruise per year on lets say P&O Austailia?

The question of how many kids under 18 on a ship is hardly relevant for consideration of pricing. The bottom line is that a teen aged 12+ takes up about the same space as an adult and so is charged adult price. Same as on a plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The question of how many kids under 18 on a ship is hardly relevant for consideration of pricing. The bottom line is that a teen aged 12+ takes up about the same space as an adult and so is charged adult price. Same as on a plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but if we going to chat about space a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,910,11, yr old will take up the same space as a 12 yr old.?

please do not get wrong as we pay for what suites or mini suites we wont to to book, but as a standed booked cabin yes it can cost a lot for children and a lot families dont cruise because of the price for children over 12.

Archived