epic; allure; oasis; when is carnival going to have a destination ship?

H82seaUgo

We are Platinum cruisers on CCL, and due to the continued cutbacks and decrease in service we went on NCL last year. First we tried the Star and then during the fall we did the Epic. It was by far the best cruise we have ever been on! The features and amenities on that ship are second to none. Mr. Sheehan who took over a couple of yrs ago at NCL has done a remarkable job transforming that brand and fleet. This spring for the kids Spring Break we did the 8-day Eastern on the Valor and my kids said after sailing NCL and coming back to CCL, they wanted NCL every time...problem is they don't seem to cruise the Caribbean in the Summer. Epic/Oasis/Allure for sure are destination ships, if you can't find something on those ships that will please you then I'm afraid nothing will. The flow of those ships are amazing, never seem crowded to us due to proper designs. Its nice being able to walk the whole length of the ship without having to go up, over, and then back down to get somewhere like you have to do on most CCL ships. There are deals to be found on other lines just like CCL, when you find them take the chance to try something else out. You can't knock it until you give it a try...then compare. We will still sail CCL for the simple fact they cruise in the Caribbean during the Summer, we will however move to NCL for our fall cruises...after doing both its the little things we missed (for example being given a drink of water or lemonade when coming back onboard the vessel for port as well as a cold cloth to clean up with while you get back on. We liked having an employee outside all the dining venues with hand sanitizer making everyone clean their hands before they entered the restaurant(s).). All lines have pluses and minuses...same as all ships but the Epic will blow you away if you give it a try!

Exactly our take!! We are also platinum on CCL and feel the same way.

What people who've never cruised on the Oasis twins don't get is that, even without the rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, flow rider, zip line, and the other "gimmicks", these ships blow any Carnival cruise out the water! They are absolutely wonderful and unless you've actually sailed on them, its hard to understand why they are worth every extra penny, even if you never use any of the "gimmicks".

The majority of the negative comments that I read come from people who've NEVER cruised on them. Most of these are as unfounded and laughable as the negative comments that people who've never cruised on Carnival make.

The one comment that always make me laugh is when people say that they'll never cruise on a ship THAT crowded, yet they are perfectly happy packed like sardines on a Carnival ship (and YES, even the Fantasy class ships are MUCH more crowed than the Allure/Oasis).

Couldn't had said it better myself. All one needs to look at is the passenger to space ratio on most CCL ships compared to other lines, then you see how crowded it really is. Another down fall with CCL is the design and layouts of the ships. Most other lines, there isn't the need if your on deck 3 to go all the way up to deck 5, walk the entire length of the ship, and then go back down to deck 3 to get to where you needed to go on the other end of the vessel on deck 3 for example. Funny how all the negative comments are mostly from ppl who have never been on another line besides CCL, yet had CCL built their Pinnacle project ship, many of these ppl would be the first in line for it simply because its on CCL. Those of the CCL "cheerleaders," who are relatively new to cursing don't fully understand how far CCL has truly fallen in the last 4-5 years with their product and service. Its sad that the worlds innovators and trend setters in the industry have fallen to at least 3rd place and maybe 4th in that category when you compare some of the things even MSC is doing. When Uncle Bob retired, CCL should have went out and hired a CEO that is an outside the box thinker who could maintain CCL's place in the industry, instead they hired within a person who is imho a penny pincher. NCL on the other hand saw how bad their brand and fleet was being tarnished went out and hired a remarkable leader in Mr. Sheehan who has made NCL drastically improve in every category. Their is a reason more ppl are switching to NCL from other lines more than every before and he singlehandedly played a huge role in how that fleet/brand turned around.

The majority of the negative comments that I read come from people who've NEVER cruised on them. Most of these are as unfounded and laughable as the negative comments that people who've never cruised on Carnival make.

Brand fanaticism at its best. I never understood it.

I to had apprehensions about these big ships as well but in the end, they get awesome reviews and honestly I want to try em out. I never drank the Carnival koolaid though so I am not worried about John Heald sending Freddy Funnel to come by and shoot up my house for trying a different line.

Brand fanaticism at its best. I never understood it.

it's really bizarre

NCL on the other hand saw how bad their brand and fleet was being tarnished went out and hired a remarkable leader in Mr. Sheehan who has made NCL drastically improve in every category. Their is a reason more ppl are switching to NCL from other lines more than every before and he singlehandedly played a huge role in how that fleet/brand turned around.

absolutely, positively.

People who haven't tried NCL since he took over don't realize how unbelievably different it is.

Would love to try the Oasis or Allure... just did a fake booking Dream / Oasis for january 2013, Oasis is 1500$ more for 3 persons. (Cove balcony / Parkview balcony).

200$ + per day is a lot... i will stick with CCL for next january.

it's really bizarre

absolutely, positively.

People who haven't tried NCL since he took over don't realize how unbelievably different it is.

Halos,

this is a genuine question. Several years ago while researching for my first cruise, I've read horror stories about NCL. We went with Celebrity instead.

In your opinion, how is the food that is free on NCL? I don't mind to pay extra. In fact we are doing chef's table, park place and steak house on our up-coming cruise on Oasis. But I don't want to feel that I am forced to pay extra in order to have a decent meal.

Also, what about service? Is it friendly?

Thanks for your insight.

If you think about it, carnival has a different business model that RCL or NCL. All cruise lines face the same problems - they need 100% occupancy to remain profitable. Just like Disney world - price points on rooms still leave them in the red so they look for ways generate addition cash flow. Disney does it with dinning plans, themed meals, etc. cruises do it with liquor sales, pictures and excursions But the first priority is to always sail 100% full. Vegas invented this business model 40 years ago.

What carnival has done different is Persue new markets by moving older ships to unique departure city's. City's like Corpus, Galveston, NO, Mobile, tampa charleson Jacksonville etc. they were the first to do this It keeps their price points low and their ships full. Just like anything else in business, follow the money.

it's really bizarre

absolutely, positively.

Why is it so bizarre? Happens in all types of products....not just cruising. Having worked in both hard line and soft line retail over many years MOST people are extremely loyal to one brand/store to the point of taking it personal when somebody doesnt agree.

Just look at some FB pages of other companies, you will see the same goes on there....people that will "fight to death" defending said product or brand and those that go there just to create havoc. It is not just a CCL phenomenon.

Why is it so bizarre? Happens in all types of products....not just cruising. Having worked in both hard line and soft line retail over many years MOST people are extremely loyal to one brand/store to the point of taking it personal when somebody doesnt agree.

Just look at some FB pages of other companies, you will see the same goes on there....people that will "fight to death" defending said product or brand and those that go there just to create havoc. It is not just a CCL phenomenon.

oh its common in lots of places, but still bizarre. Its devoid of logic and common sense.

Looking at your crusing history, I see why my comment resonated with you...:cool:

Yes, looking at my cruise history you can see I am VERY happy with what I get and still am and don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get some glitz and add-ons I don't need nor would enjoy.

What people who've never cruised on the Oasis twins don't get is that, even without the rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, flow rider, zip line, and the other "gimmicks", these ships blow any Carnival cruise out the water! They are absolutely wonderful and unless you've actually sailed on them, its hard to understand why they are worth every extra penny, even if you never use any of the "gimmicks".

The one comment that always make me laugh is when people say that they'll never cruise on a ship THAT crowded, yet they are perfectly happy packed like sardines on a Carnival ship (and YES, even the Fantasy class ships are MUCH more crowed than the Allure/Oasis).

You hit the nail squarely on the head. Like you, as someone who has actually been on Oasis Class, and even the Epic, it is an absolute fact CCL has nothing to compare with these ships. And it isn't just about the amenities. Oasis Class has contracted Broadway shows. People may not want to ice skate, but the ice shows still blow away anything CCL has, as do the shows in the Aqua Theater. Unlike CCL, a full calypso band plays on the pool deck and in the evenings, there are at least 5 locations with live music depending on your tastes.

It's funny how some people on these boards get so offended when folks who haven't cruised CCL bash them, yet they are the first to bash another ship they have never been on. :rolleyes:

As someone who sails both lines I must say that I completely agree with this post. I can't help but laugh at the "brand fanatics" as someone else coined them on both sides. I'm sure every line has them...

I can tell you from first hand experience that the Oasis is a BEAUTIFUL ship. I was completely caught off guard... I was expecting just a larger version of the Voyager / Freedom class ships with more bells and whistles but was completely blown away in just about every way.

If you don't want to / aren't comfortable spending the premium that is commanded to sail on an Oasis class ship that's completely understandable... it's a lot of money. What I just can't understand are the odd pot shots taken by people here who have only sailed Carnival at Oasis/Allure... and I say the exact same thing when people on the RCI board who haven't sailed Carnival make odd comments about sailing Carnival. You don't really know what you're criticizing unless you've tried it. The Oasis was without a doubt one of the least crowded ships I've been on in 26 cruises.

I've sailed on allure last year, it feels like living in a generic suburban mall for a week with the occasional oceanviewm from time to time. The lame gimmicks fit right in to an outlet mall and same mediocore to foodcourt quality food in the specialty restaurants, the malls usually dont feel crowded too but there is a sea of people all the time (pardon the pun)

Carnival ships are no better in quality or any other aspect and don't have the gimmicks, but you dont feel like you lived in the mall for a week atleast.

Im not impressed by parking lot fairs and suburban megamalls, so i wasnt in anyway impressed with a floating mall. But the food and service on either lines are generic to poor anyways, i just see the diff btwn carnival ships and the floating malls as strip plazas vs megamall, dont really like either of them, but u go anyways to grab what u need and go.

Instead of floating malls, rci should learn to improve quality and differentiate from bargain basement cruising that carnival has mastered or innovate like ncl

Halos,

this is a genuine question. Several years ago while researching for my first cruise, I've read horror stories about NCL. We went with Celebrity instead.

In your opinion, how is the food that is free on NCL? I don't mind to pay extra. In fact we are doing chef's table, park place and steak house on our up-coming cruise on Oasis. But I don't want to feel that I am forced to pay extra in order to have a decent meal.

Thanks for your insight.

I thought my food in the MDR on both of my cruises on NCL were superior to CCL's. Could be I'm simply just bored of the CCL menu but I don't think so...I truly believe the MDR food on NCL was just better an CCL has nothing that can compare to the Blue Lagoon either. Service on NCL is much better than on CCL and I would have never thought that but it was. All NCL crew members where a button that says S.T.Y.L.E. Each letter stands for something to do with service and making guest happy...should really give NCL a try!

Just found what style stands for on NCL's website: "Our customer service concept is called S.T.Y.L.E. Service Teamwork and Yes Lead to Excellence. As part of our STYLEish team, you must be able to provide the most enthusiastic, efficient and friendly service in every contact with every customer. All of our employees take pride in supporting and role modeling S.T.Y.L.E. If you have a “can-do” attitude, then you have S.T.Y.L.E!"

It's funny how some people on these boards get so offended when folks who haven't cruised CCL bash them, yet they are the first to bash another ship they have never been on. :rolleyes:

Might have something to do with the fact that this is a CCL board. If I wanted to hear about the other lines I would go to those boards. Here, I want to talk to other CCL cruisers about CCL cruises. Not you, but this board gets trolled a lot by people that haven't grown up yet.

And don't forget these ships have their own "Love Boat" TV reality show beginning tomorrow night! http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/04/love-for-sail-norwegian-cruise-line/667305/1

Should spark some interest. :D

... this board gets trolled a lot by people that haven't grown up yet.

I wouldn't say it happens a lot and the only people that get "trolled" are those more who have more growing up to do than the ones doing the "trolling". Their responses prove it out. (not you from what I can tell) Its just that the responses and reactions prove the folks take the bait way too easily. Heck the even know what it is and bite anyway. LOL

When it comes to trolling -- Only juvenile fish bite a bare hook.

Might have something to do with the fact that this is a CCL board. If I wanted to hear about the other lines I would go to those boards. Here, I want to talk to other CCL cruisers about CCL cruises. Not you, but this board gets trolled a lot by people that haven't grown up yet.

Some of us cruise more than 1 line, thus frequent the boards of the lines we cruise...I cruise Carnival as well as others. Carnival isn't my preference and I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for and thus I cruise NCL when possible but during the summer months in the Caribbean I currently don't have the option of NCL.

Yes, looking at my cruise history you can see I am VERY happy with what I get and still am and don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get some glitz and add-ons I don't need nor would enjoy.

Just for the record, like you, I'm also a CCL Platinum cruiser, and I've also been happy with what Carnival provides. But the point that I'm trying to make is NOT that everybody HAS to like the Oasis twins. The point that I'm trying to make is that a lot of people are quick to judge and say negative things about them (many times unfounded) when they haven't even tried them.

You can still love Carnival all you want :)! I sailed on Carnival Dream right after I salied on Allure and had a very enjoyable time!

When I sailed on the Allure, I did so with A LOT of skepticism. I wanted to convince myself that I would not enjoy a ship like her. I did NOT care for any of the "glitz and add ons" that people love to point out as a reason not to sail on them. I didn't do a SINGLE one of them!

But that's the beauty of these ships. There's truly something for everyone, even if you're a cruise traditionalist. They offer SO much more than the "gimmicks". You can be enjoying the quiet beauty and solitude of the amazing Solarium on the forward part of the ship while someone else is going down the zip line in the back of the ship.

Once again, I'm not telling you (or anyone) that you MUST love and sail on the Oasis twins, but the whole point I'm trying to make is that a lot of people are quick to judge and dismiss these ships without ever trying them.

I did give the Oasis a try and guess what, it was packed like sardines, much more crowded than any Carnival cruise I have been on. Lines were long , rude people getting frustrated waiting in the lines ect... So yes I did try it for double the price I could have cruised on Carnival. Many people on the Oasis kept saying "never again". I wish we wouldn't have wasted are money on this overcrowded monster.:mad:

I to had apprehensions about these big ships as well but in the end, they get awesome reviews and honestly I want to try em out. I never drank the Carnival koolaid though so I am not worried about John Heald sending Freddy Funnel to come by and shoot up my house for trying a different line.

Love the Funship Freddy comment. :D

I live in Miami and have friends who work for several of the major lines. Some are neighbors of mine.

It may or may not reflect on Cruise Critic because this is such a small cruising percentage, but from what I have been told by people who work in the industry is, cruise lines like RCI, NCL, and Celebrity have been taking business away from CCL. They are doing this by building new and different ships. PCL's response in order to gain back customers lost to Celebrity is design an all new ship. Not only that, but notice how much the ship looks like an RCI ship? There are reasons for that.

NCL attracted otherwise CCL loyals to the Epic. Now, they will probably return to try Breakaway. Same with RCI, who is currently building yet another all new ship design.

CCL, on the other hand, just keeps building the same thing. This may work for CCL because their main target is new cruisers, but at some point, the sameness is going to force passengers to want to try other things.

Believe me, I would LOVE to see CCL come out with something totally new and innovative. But so far, new and innovative hasn't been CCL's thing.

I did give the Oasis a try and guess what, it was packed like sardines, much more crowded than any Carnival cruise I have been on. Lines were long , rude people getting frustrated waiting in the lines ect... So yes I did try it for double the price I could have cruised on Carnival. Many people on the Oasis kept saying "never again". I wish we wouldn't have wasted are money on this overcrowded monster.:mad:

Lines? For what? 6 cruises on that class and I don't recall ever waiting in a line for anything. :confused:

Halos,

Thanks for your insight.

Our first cruise on NCL was in 2007. We had read horror stories on here and I was not sure that booking the cruise was a good idea. My husband found a deal (it was a steal to be honest). We spent 15 days on the ship. I thought trying a new line with a 15 day sailing was insane, but the price was just too good to pass up because it was a repo (which are now our favorite sailings).

It was my first experience without traditional dining, so that threw me because I was so used to having the same server and that server getting to know me. So I was not impressed with Freestyle at all that first cruise.

The food for us on that first cruise was not as good as Carnival's....not horrible by any means, but not as good. At that point, we had sailed on Celebrity as well and Carnival had better mdr food than NCL and Celebrity (Celebrity's 'Supper Club'" was superior over any surcharge restaurants on NCl or Carnival, however)

Since that first NCL cruise in 2007, we have sailed both CCL and NCL. Each and every NCL cruise we took after that one, got better. I suddenly fell in love with the Freestyle dining, loved the flexibility with time plus the added benefit that when we met people on board that we liked, we'd all hook up for dinner and it was great :)

Unfortunately it seemed to us that each subsequent CCL cruise we took after 2006/2007, actually declined. :( Service for traditional dining was not the same because servers were now waiting on more tables, so service wasn't quite up to what we were used to. We tried Any Time Dining and forget it...that just wasn't good for us (we gave it a second chance and still did not enjoy it on CCL at ALL, and are going back to traditional for our upcoming CCL cruise). Suddenly CCL not only stopped exceeding our expectations, they began to fail to meet them. This came as a surprise to both my DH and I because we were huge fans. I actually began to notice the changes/differences at first...my DH was still holding CCL as his #1 until we cruised on the NCL Dawn for the first time and then he looked at me and said, "Wow, you're right. This is better."

Currently, to me, there is not one bit of difference in the mdr food on the 2 lines...and NCL wins with their buffet (which is a lot better) and of course, the pay options (if you so choose) are wonderful.

NCL also has outdoor BBQing on sea days....it's pretty awesome.

A LOT of the reason that NCL 'wins' as our current favorite line (for lack of a better word) for us over CCL now is attention to small detail, a feeling that they actually care what you think and if you are having a good time. Most of all, the crew and officers are what make it special. I have sailed on CCL, Celebrity and Royal and all crew members are great...however NCL are a notch (or two) above.

Since K.Sheehan took over, his emphasis has been customer service. Before you even get ON an NCL ship it's different...just on these boards alone. When there is an issue, NCL people who monitor the CC boards pop into the thread and solve the poster's problem....which is why their threads are less active. There aren't 20 pages per thread of rants vs cheerleaders. NCL steps in and, Viola! Poster with a question, issue or problem is happy. :)

Once on board, it's amazing. The hotel directors are around the ship all day, every day for every sailing talking with people and getting feedback. Do you have a problem?? Immediately, they take out their phone, call the appropriate crew member to handle your issue and problem is solved.

I have never seen anything like that on any of the lines I have sailed.

I couldn't tell you the name of any hotel director on any other line but on NCL, you do know.

The crew are genuinely happy and like their jobs...when you have a happy crew, the passengers feel that and it's contagious, so you wind up with a ship of happy people. I have only sailed NCL 5 times, but do not recall ever seeing a line at the pursers desk full of angry people.

NCL alos offers more live music and better deck parties.

I don't need much from a cruise. I cruise for the sea and because I enjoy being pampered :). being a SAH Mom for many years meant I waited on people day in and day out and I was a service employee for many years prior to staying at home, so when I cruise and have someone cleaning my cabin, bringing me drinks and making my meals, I am happy...but also what affects my cruise is that 'feel' I mentioned.....For me, NCL just feels better. Everyone is different....and there are all those choices of line for all of us different people who want something different out of our cruise. But one thing I learned after that first NCL cruise is, do NOT listen to other people...you can only know if you will like a cruise if you try it yourself.

No matter what, it won't be horrible...and you may just have a blast. You may not like NCL as much as I do...just like I wasn't as thrilled with Celebrity as some are, but my Celebrity cruise wasn't awful and I'm happy that I tried it.

There should be no 'fear' associated with branching out.....they're cruises. How bad can it be?? :)

I think it's bizarre whether we're talking cruise or any other product.

Archived