Vanuatu Tours - going it alone - advice please taxis / drivers??

Thanks for answering that, Colleen. (Just been for a walk.) Yes, after the quoted time, you have to take your alcohol back yourself and hand it in on boarding. It's no big deal, but gets heavy to carry around! :D

DH bought some Billabong shorts from one supposedly duty free place - can't remember the name - but I didn't think they were cheap at all. I think they sold more cheaply on the ship. :cool:

Also I have bought perfume for reasonable prices here, when there are sales on.

we were in Vila in February 2012.....we found that the Bailey's that we wanted to buy was cheaper on board our cruise ship (Rhapsody) than at the duty free stores in Vila.

the lesson learnt from this experience....check the prices on board before you get to Vila.

we were in Vila in February 2012.....we found that the Bailey's that we wanted to buy was cheaper on board our cruise ship (Rhapsody) than at the duty free stores in Vila.

the lesson learnt from this experience....check the prices on board before you get to Vila.

that would a be a given to check ship prices before going into port vila.

I would not buy the perfume...you can buy high end genuine perfumes online or at the discount chemist (particularly this week) for a fraction of the price and get fresh stock which is genuine.

Sue

I agree - especially abput the discount chemists. They do have a relatively limited range but online you can get a very wide range of perfumes and skin care.

Colleen

I agree - especially abput the discount chemists. They do have a relatively limited range but online you can get a very wide range of perfumes and skin care.

Colleen

That's the way I usually get mine. They never seem to lower the price of Diorissimo (one of my favs) though. :mad:

• 1 month later...
This is correct, HOWEVER, the Bula Bus only travels between the resorts on Denarau. While most of the resorts are beautiful (I stayed at Sheraton last year which was awesome) there are no good beaches as such. Denarau is a man made island built specifically for tourism, and is built on mudflats.

A day trip out to the Mamanuca Islands is great. 1,5 hours away is Castaway resort, which is, IMO, the best resort in the region. I plan to go back there ASAP. They only have a small qty of day visitors so you would have to book in advance, and also check the transit times to ensure you will make it back to your cruise ship, but if timing works out I highly recommend this. Food there is amazing, snorkelling right off the beach, and an amazing Scuba dive team if you want to take a dive. (22 sites around the island)

DT1304

You mention a trip to castaway island ... Who can i book that through and can we do a half day?? Thanks

Hi Chookie,

The only company that I have heard reports about does day trips to castaway from denarau, however they leave denarau at 9am and return at 6pm, so wont be suitable for you to be back on the ship in time.

I know there are ferries that leave castaway and head back to denarau at about 1:30pm, but you will have to investigate whether you can book these without actually staying on castaway or being part of a tour.

I will see what other info I can gather for you, as I am still in regular contact with many of the castaway island staff.

Hi Chookie,

The only company that I have heard reports about does day trips to castaway from denarau, however they leave denarau at 9am and return at 6pm, so wont be suitable for you to be back on the ship in time.

I know there are ferries that leave castaway and head back to denarau at about 1:30pm, but you will have to investigate whether you can book these without actually staying on castaway or being part of a tour.

I will see what other info I can gather for you, as I am still in regular contact with many of the castaway island staff.

Thanks DT1304

I have been on tripadvisor and other fiji tourism websites and can only find south sea cruises or reefsea ... There are some very bad reports about south sea and issues accessing their website. So i am considering a trip with storck cruises - have you heard of them? They go to a little island called savala and the excursion is called oohlala, from reports on tripadvisor its the number 1 activity at present! Costs about $100 for 4.5 hours, morning and afternoon tea and lunch, drinks incl. alcohol all inclusive. Leaves from the marina at 10 so timing is also good. Only negative is about the coral but we have that with the Great Barrier reef now in that its faded or damaged!!! Appreciate your advice. Cheers

Hi Chookie,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Had a hectic week at work and never got online.

I have never heard of that company that you mention.

I used South Seas Cruises and had no problems. Left on time and pick up from castaway was on time.

We paid a little more for the "captains lounge" which is the inside, air conditioned area, with drinks and snacks included. was well worth it.

I am sorry but I have never heard of the other excursion you have seen.

With regards to Castaway Island, if you still considering it, and using South Seas Cruises, you can get the 9am departure that arrives at castaway at 11am, but then have to get the 2pm return which is faster and arrives at 3pm. The problem here is that you only get a few hours at Castaway.

Another option is to get a water taxi. Try Sea Fiji or Mamanuca Express. Then you can decide what time you want to be picked up.

A third option, although expensive, would be to get a helicopter or Sea plane ride to the island. Much faster, taking only about 10 - 15 minutes and with awesome scenery, but much more expensive.

To be honest, whatever you decide, you will have an amazing time. Fiji is an awesome place. The Fijian people are so friendly, helpful and dont stop smiling. I cant wait to go back!!

Is there any other good buys in Vila besides the duty free shop?

I take there is really only 1duty free shop?

watches,perfume but check in Australia befor you leave

• 2 months later...
Is there any other good buys in Vila besides the duty free shop?

I take there is really only 1duty free shop?

There are four duty free shops in Vila - Prouds, Down Town Duty Free, Paris Shopping and Fung Kuei. We usually buy alcohol at Fung Kuei, but I haven't been impressed with their prices on perfume. If you want, perfume check the prices on the ship before going ashore. I suggest Paris Shopping for perfume, but the prices might not be better than on the ship - particularly if you buy in the first two days when (on P&O) there is an extra discount.

What else to buy - Copy leather handbags (Fung Kuei), carved woodwork (particularly in the market in town), sarongs, tourist 'stuff', kava (if you are interested). You can bring kava into Australia, with a limit of (I think) 2kg.

When we were staying in Vanuatu last year, a cruise ship berthed on a Sunday. Everything is usually closed on a Sunday for religious observance, but on this day the Duty free shops opened. There were security people outside because several local people were very offended by this and wanted the shops to close. There were quite a few fights between locals and store owners.

When we were staying in Vanuatu last year, a cruise ship berthed on a Sunday. Everything is usually closed on a Sunday for religious observance, but on this day the Duty free shops opened. There were security people outside because several local people were very offended by this and wanted the shops to close. There were quite a few fights between locals and store owners.

in Vila the duty free shops make their money when the ships in town so they wont close, even on sunday

Yes, I realise that, however this was the first time the shops opened on a Sunday.

Your cruise must have been quite a while ago, because last year we were in Vila on a Sunday. The duty free shops were open, but shops catering to the locals (pharmacy and local shops) were closed.

Archived