Book behind the scenes tour?

NoobCruise

I've read on here of people doing a behind the scenes tour of the ship. My husband was in the US Coast Guard and worked in the engine room and would love to get a tour of the ship (Westerdam). How do you book this tour? Thanks!

I've read on here of people doing a behind the scenes tour of the ship. My husband was in the US Coast Guard and worked in the engine room and would love to get a tour of the ship (Westerdam). How do you book this tour? Thanks!

Must be done onboard, book right away as this tour is very limited (I believe to 12 persons) Front Desk can help you with this.

I did the tour on the Oosterdam and found it well worth the expense. There is something for everyone: bridge, galley, backstage, engine room, tailor shop, ship stores, and a bag of goodies, too. Free drinks after the tour were a nice touch.

When you enter the ship, make a right turn towards the Front Desk to book the tour.

In searching around, I came across this thread. Is it true there is no behind the scenes tour on the Westerdam? My husband will be disappointed :(

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1392343

That thread is a year old, I imagine things have changed. Hopefully someone who has recently been aboard can provide an update.

Yes, there is a tour on Westerdam (or there was on March 10). You have to reserve on board and they start offering it pretty quickly. It is $150 each and they do not let you in the engine room.

Here is my Westerdam review with shots from the behind the scenes tour:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1586876

We loved Westerdam and really enjoyed the tour.

We did the tour on Zuiderdam and loved it. You see the engine control room, you don't get to see the actual engines (security/safety). What I liked was that they had someone from each department on hand to talk to us. We were walked through by someone from the PR department, but she was just a guide to get from A to B to C... She handed over the explanations to the various crew/managers we met.

I was fascinated by the location of the tailor shop. It was way down and forward, where the curvature of the ship is quite obvious.

$150 sounds like a lot, but I think of it as an excursion for a sea day. and you do get a nice goodie bag at the end. From what I've read here, contents vary, but it's always nice. We had a group photo taken on the bridge and a copy was delivered to our cabins the next day.

We went right to the front desk after embarking and made the booking then. There was a little notice about it in that first day's Explorer and no mention after that. I might not have noticed it if I hadn't read about the tour here on CC. So thank you HAL posters!

Thanks so much eveyone! SeaGo2, great review :) I can't wait to board her! My husband is quite excited about this tour :)

We plan to be at the pier when it opens and board as early as possible. We do have access to the Neptune Lounge and I had planned on heading there first to introduce ourselves and check on the shore excursions and Pinnacle dinner we have booked, and also make reservations for dinner.

Would it be better to to go straight to the front desk to book this tour, or the Neptune Lounge, or does it matter? Also, as a suite guest, it says we have priority bookings on excursions. Do you think this tour falls under that or is this one first come, first serve period?

Thanks again everyone! I LOVE CC! So much help and info :)

Maybe a dumb question, but mainly I ask because of security reasons. Can you take pictures on the tour?

Yes, you are welcome to take pictures.

Noobcruise, the advantage of the Neptune is the line will probably be much shorter. The Neptune is almost always preferred over the Front Desk. We had absolutely no problem booking thru the Neptune.

Maybe a dumb question, but mainly I ask because of security reasons. Can you take pictures on the tour?

Not a dumb question at all. I've done a lot of factory tours, and "no cameras" is not an unusual request. But absolutely nothing was off limits on our tour on Zuiderdam.

Noob, I would check the front desk first. Neptune can be a bit crazy on the first day, and the concierge may not be able to process your request right away. If you're in a deluxe suite, you'll board early. We were in a deluxe, and were in the first 10 on board. There was no waiting at the front desk. But when we got to the Neptune, there was a couple booking all their tours, and occupying both concierges with questions.

We were in a deluxe, and were in the first 10 on board. There was no waiting at the front desk. But when we got to the Neptune, there was a couple booking all their tours, and occupying both concierges with questions.

It totally makes sense since the suites board before the staterooms that there would be a rush to the Neptune. Thanks for pointing that out! I'll head for the front desk first to book the tour.

It totally makes sense since the suites board before the staterooms that there would be a rush to the Neptune. Thanks for pointing that out! I'll head for the front desk first to book the tour.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. They were still selling it pretty hard the day before.

Cheers! Hope you like it!

There is the chance that. It will be cancelled. I don't want to be a downer, but DH and I were the only two booked last Nov on the Westerdam, despite posting it in the daily activities. We gotanote the night before that it was cancelled and our money refunded. We were bummed... BUT.... Something to look forward to next time.

Archived