40 Min Enough Time for Atlanta

OhioCruiserDude

Is 40 Min enough time to transfer flights in ATL we are on AirTran and going to Orlando then same route back. I worried bout going down will I have enough time to make my flight? I flowen through some of the biggest airports in the country but never ATL and Im nervous.

From one AirTran flight to another you are staying in the same concourse, so yes. But that assumes your flights are on time, you sit near the front so as to get off quickly and skedaddle over to the next gate without stopping at the restroom.

I would never book that short of a connection there. Just some rain causes delays in Atlanta.

Have you already booked your flights? What are your plans if you miss your connecting flight? Are you going to a cruise and flying in at least a day early? How many of you are going? Will you have checked luggage?

They'll put you on another AirTran flight WHEN they have seats available. That might not be as soon as you need. Flights are often full. It would be tougher with the more people you have.

Is 40 Min enough time to transfer flights in ATL we are on AirTran and going to Orlando then same route back. I worried bout going down will I have enough time to make my flight? I flowen through some of the biggest airports in the country but never ATL and Im nervous.

I've made 40-ish minute connections at ATL many times, even changing terminals, BUT if your incoming flight is delayed at all you could be cutting it close. Boarding for your connecting flight will close roughly 10 (maybe more) minutes before the scheduled flight time, so you're really looking at 30 minutes to get from plane to plane. As mentioned already, it will be important to be sitting as close to the front of the plane on your arriving flight as possible; otherwise you could spend 10 minutes or more just trying to deplane. Throw in a 10 or 15 minute delay and you can see where it might be tight.

If you are from the US and don't have to go through customs, etc., you should be ok unless your flight is delayed for some reason. If however you are going from an international flight to a domestic flight or vice versa...I doubt 40 minutes will be enough time for a transfer. The Atlanta airport is HUGE and the international and domestic terminals are a tram/train ride apart.

Please be aware that AirTran uses both Concourse C and Concourse D.

For transit between the two concourses you will follow the overhead signage to the middle of the concourse and take the escalator (or elevator) down to the train. The escalator in Concourse C was being worked on the last time I was there (February) and there was a little confusion once off the train. I will probably be in "C" next week and can provide an update. Again you will arrive in the middle of the concourse and overhead signage will provide direction to your gate.

Good luck and I hope you are not flying in on cruise day.

Atlanta, to me is an easy airport to get around in - signage is not confusing, and they normally move passengers around pretty well. Or maybe I just know it, and it's easy.

Even so, that is pretty tight, and leaves no room for error if you are going in on the day of the cruise.

I had HAL rebook my flights - they took me into FRA from CLT with a 50 minute connection, and I had to change piers - and reclear security at 8:00 AM on a Monday morning in Frankfurt. It was just too tight for comfort.

Bottom line - if everything goes right, it is probably doable. But, if everything doesn't go right, you're not going to make the connection.

As another poster indicated, If you come in on the international councourse you are probably not going to make it.

The trams/trains move people surprisingly well, to the regular concouses. However, after they do the main concourses, the tram winds around seemingly taking forever to get to/from the international concourse

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the option, don't do it. Too many variables to make such a tight connection, to say nothing of added stress on a supposed vacation.

I always give myself at least 1 1/2 hours for domestic connections, 2 is preferable. I have been burned before in ATL, weather, (in November), delayed originating flight by 30 mins, which made me miss connection. After running, literally, for 3 1/2 hours from counter to counter, concourse to concourse, finally got on last flight to SFO after Delta offered comps to those willing to give up seats. Horrific experience to say the least.

Better safe, and possibly bored at the airport, than sorry.

Good Luck,

TnT

I noticed for the first time that a Delta flight from Detroit to Atlanta Hartfield is arriving at Gate E. I thought Gate E is an International Gate and passengers arriving have to go through customs. Can anyone clarify this for me?

I noticed for the first time that a Delta flight from Detroit to Atlanta Hartfield is arriving at Gate E. I thought Gate E is an International Gate and passengers arriving have to go through customs. Can anyone clarify this for me?

While E concourse is largely International, there are domestic arrivals/departures on E. It is possible for domestic arrivals to go into the main concourse level vs customs which is on a different level. ATL is opening a new International terminal (F) next month, though E concourse gates may still be used for some International flights.

As to the ATL connection time...if you can predict whether 40 minutes is 'safe' at ATL you might as well go to Vegas and put all your money on one bet. If all things go well, it shouldn't be a problem. But then again, things can go wrong and you could miss a connection. I would advise the OP to book early enough in the day that there are additional flights to their destination (or a close enough alternate airport) after their scheduled flight, in the event they don't make the connection.

Too many unknowns to say for sure - but after I missed a 45 minute connection by five minutes due to slight weather issues I make sure I have at least an hour to make my connecting flight. I've been lucky on my missed connections to get on another flight in an hour or so but that has been on Delta to fairly major airports. Depending on where you are flying on AirTran you may end up waiting a couple of hours or more to get another flight.

45' scheduled is crap shoot IMHO. My rule of thumb for connects is 60' minimum, 90' target. I know that usually has me waiting a bit, but haven't missed a fight yet :D

In the summer if this is afternoon when thunderstorms run thru anything could be possible.

Early AM flight I'd probably think it works. The ATL airport is huge and check your connects, you can easily take 25' to get off the airplane and get to the next terminal.

• 2 weeks later...
I have made numerous flights in and out of Atlanta and it is very tricky. Not worth the stress in my opinion. VERY busy airport. Plus, even if you make it, your luggage may not.
I guess I have to ask, if only for my own curiousity. Just what is so "tricky" about ATL?

The concourses are clearly labeled, gates are in an orderly fashion and the transit train between concourses makes for a consistent connection process between flights. If what you really mean is that it is big, you have a point. But that same bigness allows for the huge number of connecting options through one point.

Please understand....I am not trying to put you down. I am trying to learn and understand your thought process about this airport.

Archived