First cruise with NCL

onebzemom

We have always cruised with Carnival and have been very happy. This will be our first time with NCL on the Sky. I know we will be doing a lot of comparing once on the ship, but would like to know ahead of time what to expect. What are some of the differences? What should we not miss. This will be a b2b first for us too. This being the first and then an eight day with Carnival. There are four of us and we are excited to try something new and a bit nervous too.

Also, how big is this ship in the line up? I've read it's an older ship which is okay with us. Anyone know what Carnival ship it would compare to in size?

Thanks in advance.

look for the thread titled tips/ tricks/ hints...

It is mostly about the Sky and her ports of Call.

Im a big Sky fan being that I live about an hour away and can just hop on almost anytime...

that thread will help you with almost anything you might need to know :)

Don't miss your roll call's meet & greet if one is set up !! You will meet senior staff, they will hand out their business cards WITH their private phone number so that any problem can be addressed and taken care of. Plus you will see these same staff members out and about on the decks and will probably ask you how you are enjoying yourself.

Something you might miss (not something I miss at all) is the SINGING AND DANCING waitstaff....

You might end up loving freestyle dining, so you don't have to wait around for an assigned dining time nor will you have to rush back from shore to make an early seating.

Since you are doing a b2b on two different lines, you can do great comparison reviews. So do us a favor and POST here so we can see how you enjoyed your cruises!

I like the variety. On NCL I like the colorful carpets and colorful cabin doors in the hallways. Cabins on NCL are a little smaller than Carnival but the bathroom setup is better. Carnival waterslides (except Epic) are better. Food is excellent on the 2 NCL ships I've sailed; entertainment good, and service is good too. I like the White Hot Party on NCL. I wasn't sure I'd like freestyle dining, but it was fine. I actually liked being unscheduled.

I like both lines and will continue to sail both.

Have fun.

look for the thread titled tips/ tricks/ hints...

It is mostly about the Sky and her ports of Call.

Im a big Sky fan being that I live about an hour away and can just hop on almost anytime...

that thread will help you with almost anything you might need to know :)

thanks for mentioning that thread. I hadn't read it yet and I'm going on the Sky in October. Looking forward to learning more about the Sky and NCL since I've only cruised with Carnival.

Cabins on NCL are a little smaller than Carnival but the bathroom setup is better. Carnival waterslides (except Epic) are better. I wasn't sure I'd like freestyle dining, but it was fine. I actually liked being unscheduled.

I like both lines and will continue to sail both.

Have fun.

AGREED.... I will sail based on port of departure and destinations. Both lines were fine.

Ive been on the sky and its a nice ship. I have no comparison to any carnival ships tho. There were some in Miami when we docked and they looked to be about the same size.

Look for a thread about the titanic compared to NCL ships. I have the sky on there and compare it to the titanic and several other NCL ships.

The sky is the smallest NCL ship, but you wont even notice. Its got lots to do and the ports are really cool as well! :)

The Sky would be similar to a Fantasy class ship on Carnival. DH and I did the Sky last March and the Imagination in January of this year. I have reviews for both cruises in my signature (Sky photos are not working right now). The Imagination one compares the two lines.

We really liked the crew on the Sky and are big fans of Freestyle on NCL. Don't miss: 2 for 1 martini specials at the Plantation Bar, wings at Longboards, Rich Purpura's comedy if he is onboard, and Quest.

Don't miss your roll call's meet & greet if one is set up !! You will meet senior staff, they will hand out their business cards WITH their private phone number so that any problem can be addressed and taken care of. Plus you will see these same staff members out and about on the decks and will probably ask you how you are enjoying yourself.

Something you might miss (not something I miss at all) is the SINGING AND DANCING waitstaff....

You might end up loving freestyle dining, so you don't have to wait around for an assigned dining time nor will you have to rush back from shore to make an early seating.

Since you are doing a b2b on two different lines, you can do great comparison reviews. So do us a favor and POST here so we can see how you enjoyed your cruises!

On our last CCL cruise I didn't have an assigned time so I didn't have to rush back for dinner.

The ship left port at 5pm so I did have to rush back for that.

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Word of advise, don't compare. All the lines are different, as they should be. Be true to no line, try them all. Just enjoy. We did our first NCL on the Dawn last fall right after the Oasis...Loved them both. Loved NCL freestyle cruising. :D

I just got back from a 4 day on the sky and loved it-although it was my first cruise and I can't compare to carnival-read the review a few threads down from this-titled "Sky Review April 2-6" this cruiser has been on the sky a couple of times and has posted pictures from this last cruise and keeps promising to post some of the Freestyle Daylies

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have been reading all the suggestions. Tips/tricks/hints was a good start.

Need to get more information on the White Hot party.

Still not sold on the Freestyle dinning. I don't mind having a specific time when I can walk right in and sit down. Waiting in line or being handed a pager would be just like eating in a resturant at home. I'll keep an open mind and we'll see what happens.

I will continue to research. Still trying to figure out what I want to do in the ports. Atlantis sounds like it might be interesting if only to just walk around and look.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have been reading all the suggestions. Tips/tricks/hints was a good start.

Need to get more information on the White Hot party.

Still not sold on the Freestyle dinning. I don't mind having a specific time when I can walk right in and sit down. Waiting in line or being handed a pager would be just like eating in a resturant at home. I'll keep an open mind and we'll see what happens.

I will continue to research. Still trying to figure out what I want to do in the ports. Atlantis sounds like it might be interesting if only to just walk around and look.

I will tell you, when we went to dinner-every night, was around 5-7 and we NEVER had to wait! We alternated between to two MDRs and maybe it was because it was just us two but we always were seated right away!

It was better than a resturant-the first nite my DH and I were just going to split a starter-the waitier told us they were small and he would like to reccomend we both try different things so that we could experience more of the food! Both starters were excellant and our dinners were amazing-but the desserts were the best part--the key-lime pie melted in my mouth!

I agree that Atlantis sounds fun--but we had an awesome time on the sub excursion! If you check on the port page-under Bahamas-Scubagirl lives in Nassau and will usually answer most of your questions about the island.

Finally, the White Hot Party--is on the pool deck, everyone dresses in white-it started at 11pm. Lots of dancing and drinking-the after party started at midnight-and I am a little too old to stay too long and have an excursion leaving at 830 the next morning-so that was the end for me. Sorry!

Archived