Why do people care?

But maybe our society would be more unique if we did not judge people on what clothing they wore. I've seen a lot of jackasses dressed very nicely.

Ahhh yes! However that is not likely to happen! Many studies have been done that confirm that people form opinions about others in the first seconds they meet/see someone and that is largely based on how they are dressed. And it takes a while for that first impression to be altered. The good news is that you can affect how others perceive you based, in part, on how you dress.

Personally, I've noticed sales clerks sometimes treat me differently based on how I am dressed. I don't think it is deliberate, I think it is human nature.

I like ties. I find them dressy and a perfect accessory. Today, wearing a jacket and dress shirt without a tie appears to be very fashionable. I cannot wear a jacket and shirt without wearing a tie. I feel very uncomfortable and just never do it. Different strokes for different folks.

If you don't own a tie and never wear one, how come you know that they are uncomfortable? I also don't see the danger in wearing one.

I have worn a tie before. I have borrowed them and had someone else tie them for me.

I have also worn bow tie's when I had to rent a tux.

In a perfect world I would wear flip flops, mesh basketball shorts, and a tshirt every day.

On my last cruise I did not feel like bringing clothes for the formal nights. Out of respect for my fellow diners who do enjoy dressing up, I ate at Portofino one night and Windjammer the other. For Portofino I wore a nice dress (not formal) but within the requirements for "smart casual" and for Windjammer I wore capris and a blouse.

My opinion is this - if the cruise line is attempting to promote a formal dress code for the evening, then the passengers should make their best attempt at following those guidelines. If I see someone wearing a shirt and tie but no jacket, or heck, even some khakis with a nice sweater or button down shirt, I think that is presentable and shouldn't really offend anyone.

If, however, you stroll into the dining room on formal night with jeans, a t-shirt, a hat, etc., that to me is a blatant disregard for the guidelines that RCI is trying to set forth, and it gives off the impression that you think you are somehow above these rules. It's that attitude that really bothers me, not the fact that you aren't dressed the same as I am.

It is a hot-button issue because there are actually two diametrically-opposed views about formal dress: is it something you do for yourself or something you do for other people?

If you view formal dress as something you do for yourself, it probably doesn't affect you how other people dress. Rather, formal night serves to let you know when it is an appropriate opportunity to dress up. Personally, this is my view. I feel different when I wear a tuxedo. I'm excited to be dressed as such a dapper gentleman; it makes me want to use words like, "dapper" and behave like a genlteman.* In many ways, it's like a little kid playing dress up and formal night lets us know when playtime is. Now if other people don't want to play, that's fine.

The other view is that formal dress is something you do for other people. I put on a suit when I go to a job interview and I wear black when I go to a funeral because that's how I show my respect for the situation. If this is your view then when people dress down or ignore the dress code it comes across as actively disrespecting the situation. My soup tastes no better for the man across from me wearing a tie and no worse if he is not wearing it, but the feel of the meal changes from a distinguished gathering to enjoy a high class meal to a typical restaurant meal.

* Personally I always try to behave like a gentleman, but this kind of gentleman drinks scotch.

As long as they are not naked, and wear something, I could care less.:rolleyes:

I agree exactly ....yea I have two formal dresses for my upcoming cruise but I don't give a flying flip what anyone else is wearing. This is VACATION not a fashion show or the Grammys! The way I see it is that I am paying RCI for the trip and unless they are paying me for my time there I will dress how I choose. Again, I am dressing up but it is because I want to. If someone is at the table beside me wearing shorts and a tee then as long as they are happy on their vacation then that's all that matters!

I think there's probably many people dressed formal that look worse than others who are in jeans and polo. As long as they are clean and act respectfully that's all that matters.

It is a hot-button issue because there are actually two diametrically-opposed views about formal dress: is it something you do for yourself or something you do for other people?

* Personally I always try to behave like a gentleman, but this kind of gentleman drinks scotch.

I think that statement is very insightful. Hadn't really looked at it from that angle and I'm not 100% sure which category I fall into. Maybe a little of both?

I do not care enough to get all upset by it or have my evening ruined or whatnot.

That said, I do care for the same reason that I care about the decor in the room, the china on the table etc--it sets the tone for the whole meal. It wouldn't feel elegant if the food were served on paper plates, or if the dining room had garish neon lights on the walls, and it feels a lot less elegant if half of the room is wearing "street" clothes.

Personally, I really enjoy that elegant feel. It is a major reason I cruise. It is NOT a secret that there are formal nights on a cruise and I do feel that the considerate thing to do if you do not wish to partake is to dine in one of the many alternate venues offered by the line and not take away from the elegant/formal feel that the line has stated should be the norm for dinner that night:)

Well said Hadley! :)

If someone comes to the MDR on formal night dressed in t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, yes I care... I care that the dining room staff doesn't throw the bum out!

Yes, gosh darn it! Formal means formal...at least put on some socks.

Some people then if they have ever sailed out of San Juan on for the Southern cruise must be totally appalled to see so many people eating in shorts, t-shirts, jeans, flip flops, hats, etc on the 1st night, due to luggage having not arrived to their rooms yet. Some would say they should have put clothes for dinner in their carryon bags. For the majority of people that cruise and never come to CC.....Who would have told them that?????

Vie been reading a few threads on this board and one argument seems to crop up a lot. Whether people should follow the dress code on RCI ships. I for one quite like formal night, it's a good opportunity to wear my smart dinner jacket and get some pictures. It doesn't happen to bother me though what everyone else seems to be wearing. I think it's good to have a formal night so all the likeminded people can dress up on the same night but why does it really matter what other people wear

Does it bother anyone that much?

Big Keith

Personally, I'd prefer that everyone follow the dress suggestions, but I don't really care that much.

As far as why people do (not counting the ones who just like to tell others what they should do), I think it's because it alters the ambiance of the evening.

I bet the people who dress in shorts/flip flops/hats/shirts with no sleeves on formal night are the same ones who don't use their turn signal when driving - grrrr! :p

My point: There are guidelines all around us. Some choose to ignore them and others do not.

I can't remember what I wore yesterday but you can remember what strangers have been wearing for three days?

I just love what you said it really cracked me up.

..and we skipped formal nights all together and dine somewhere else on the ship good excuse to go to the speciality restaurant

Have you really seen this on formal night? I sure haven't. I've seen the "dreaded" jeans, but as we cruise out of Galveston it's usually a "cowboy" looking guy in pressed jeans and a button down shirt. That's honestly the "worst" I've ever seen on formal night.

The flip flops would have made me laugh, though. That's a brave guy.

Oh, I have! Jeans, soiled shirt, and filthy ball cap he kept on all through dinner - both formal nights!

I like ties. I find them dressy and a perfect accessory. Today, wearing a jacket and dress shirt without a tie appears to be very fashionable. I cannot wear a jacket and shirt without wearing a tie. I feel very uncomfortable and just never do it. Different strokes for different folks.

If you don't own a tie and never wear one, how come you know that they are uncomfortable? I also don't see the danger in wearing one.

It actually depends on where you are wearing it. It is possible for them to be trapped in machinary which is why in some positions wearing one would never be allowed. Over the past couple of years is has been highly recommended that physicians no longer wear them because of things that they touch. They have been identified as a source of infection transmission in hospitals.

Obviously, those examples have nothing to do with formal night on cruise ships but there are, in fact, issues with ties that are not so trival.

I feel like you, and we enjoy formal night. I guess you will get all different opinions on this one..It just surprises me what some folks show up wearing , when the suggested rules are clear.. We do not let this affect our evening in any way though...:cool:

I happen to agree it is nice to dress up while cruising, but there are a few passengers everytime that show up and don't follow the rules of dress code at all. They don't ruin it for me and my family but on the other hand they don't even make a effort to blend in. It is as if they were cruising on a sailboat. Who know what they are thinking?:confused:

It is so refreshing to hear ppl discuss formal night without feeling they have been insulted because there are those of us who don't dress "formal". I have to laugh though about the flip flops. My husband took a dress shirt, pants and dress shoes on our first cruise and wore them the first formal night. After seeing how some of the ppl were dressed the next night he wore his crocs with dress shirt and pants. I am sure there were those that noticed but nothing was said. I have to be honest on all of the cruises we have been on there have never been more then a few dressed to the nines. The most I have seen in formal wear was a group celebrating a 30 yr high school reunion and there were probably 100 of these ppl and they were all dressed very well and in the same colors. Very pretty, the men all wore cream colored suits and the women had on all shades of off white/cream dresses/evening wear.

It actually depends on where you are wearing it. It is possible for them to be trapped in machinary which is why in some positions wearing one would never be allowed.

I think that comes under the common sense heading, just like having long hair around rotating machinery. We are discussing the MDR on a cruise ship.

I wonder what they will wear the next time they attend a wedding or a funeral?

Khakis with a polo or a button up and... gasp... sneakers. That's the "dress up" uniform of most young men nowadays. As a matter of fact besides ceremony participants, grandparents and priests no one around here wears a jacket to weddings or funerals anymore. Sad but true.

Either the rule needs to be enforced or get rid of it.

I think that the dress code is just a suggestion not a rule. At least on RCCL. I think that's even the word used on the Cruise Compasses. It you want a rule instead of a suggestion you should write the cruise lines and inform them of your preference. If enough people want it you'll see the change. I wouldn't hold your breath though.

Yes, gosh darn it! Formal means formal...at least put on some socks.

But they won't go with my strappy gold sandals! Haha.

I think that the dress code is just a suggestion not a rule. At least on RCCL. I think that's even the word used on the Cruise Compasses. It you want a rule instead of a suggestion you should write the cruise lines and inform them of your preference. If enough people want it you'll see the change. I wouldn't hold your breath though.

I don't understand this logic. The evening is "formal" and suggestions are offered to give you an idea of what would be appropriate. The dress code itself isn't a "suggestion"...it is set for each night. However, none of the evening dress codes are mandatory. So, dressing formally on formal night is not mandatory but the evening is still designated as formal. There are people that will abide by the dress code (mandatory or not) and those that chose to ignore it. To each his own.

Archived