Why do people care?

We like to get dresses up, but don't care if others don't. What baffles us is why Royal continues to claim that if you don't follow the dress code, you won't be allowed to enter the dining room.

If someone comes to the MDR on formal night dressed in t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, yes I care... I care that the dining room staff doesn't throw the bum out!

Have you really seen this on formal night? I sure haven't. I've seen the "dreaded" jeans, but as we cruise out of Galveston it's usually a "cowboy" looking guy in pressed jeans and a button down shirt. That's honestly the "worst" I've ever seen on formal night.

The flip flops would have made me laugh, though. That's a brave guy.

We just came back from the Adventure out of San Juan. There were plenty that just wore a t-shirt and shorts on formal night. :)

While it doesn't really bother me, it seems silly to pay for a vacation that isn't to your taste....if you were paying for tickets to the opera, you wouldn't wear shorts! Seems sort of the same for a vacation venue. If you want ultra-casual, you go to a casual place or cruiseline!

So, when folks ASK, "What do I wear on formal nights?", you sort of have to assume that they will attempt to dress formally...hence, the suggestions! If you KNOW you do NOT want to make the effort, then there are cruiselines that have no "suggested dress codes" at all...or very little!

I'm kinda a Jimmy Buffet guy, so dress/formal outfits even when I was a professional those outfits were not in my dress style. I/We do dress much nicer on formal nights, and enjoy watching the formally dressed, they look great so I will not condemn them for dressing formally.LOL.

I really think the people who complain are really condemning those who's dress is really grubby and associated poor behavior as well.

I would really like RC to keep a reasonable MDR dress code, that we could all live with. For men, Long pants, Shirt with maybe a collar(that is hard) and maybe some shoes LOL. Women's dress is harder to simply so we hope they all can fit into all the latest fashions without being ************* or maybe, just because they make it in your size, maybe you should not wear it.

I have seen people dress grubbily on some nights, and GLAMOROUS on

formal nights. Really who cares

I'm kinda a Jimmy Buffet guy, so dress/formal outfits even when I was a professional those outfits were not in my dress style.

As am I. I sorta have to be, being that I live in Key West. Here, normal acceptable wear to a nice steakhouse is shorts, sandals, and a decent shirt, like a Tommy Bahama or something linen.

That said, I realize we are not normal and this is not normal in most of the country, nor is it normal for cruise ships. I do dress according to the dress code. Actually, no I don't think I do. If I'm not mistaken, the code for casual (or smart casual :confused:) says sleeves for men. I wear short sleeve silks and linens.

Oh, but to get back on topic. I don't care what others do as long as it is not in my face.

It's one of the most hotly discussed topics on these boards. (That and the ethics of bringing alcohol onboard.) Like TXSAIL, I am sometimes surprised by what people are wearing (wow, the same striped rugby shirt and jeans 3 dinners in a row?) but I can't say it's affected my experience. If I want a true black tie evening, I'll find it independently. I don't expect it from formal night on a mass market cruise line.

I can't remember what I wore yesterday but you can remember what strangers have been wearing for three days?

While it doesn't really bother me, it seems silly to pay for a vacation that isn't to your taste....if you were paying for tickets to the opera, you wouldn't wear shorts! Seems sort of the same for a vacation venue. If you want ultra-casual, you go to a casual place or cruiseline!

So, when folks ASK, "What do I wear on formal nights?", you sort of have to assume that they will attempt to dress formally...hence, the suggestions! If you KNOW you do NOT want to make the effort, then there are cruiselines that have no "suggested dress codes" at all...or very little!

And there are those cruise lines that have an enforced dress code..... if that is to your liking feel free to book.

We just came back from the Adventure out of San Juan. There were plenty that just wore a t-shirt and shorts on formal night.

Interesting. We just got off Adventure this past Sunday and our experience was quite different.

On both formal nights, judging by the people we saw entering the dining room on our level and the people seated at the approx 20 tables close by us, we saw no t-shirts, shorts or baseball caps. There was a mixture of tuxedos, suits and dress shirts for the men and gowns, cocktail dresses and pants with fancy tops for the ladies. Overall, I felt that the dress in the MDR on every evening was very acceptable, and I'm very conservative.

I can't remember what I wore yesterday but you can remember what strangers have been wearing for three days?

Yes. He was wearing the same striped red and yellow rugby shirt. The rest of his table was dressed up. I don't think it's that odd to notice your surroundings.

The most hated cruiser on CC:

Doesnt wear a tie or jacket on formal night, smuggles alcohol on board, and uses a birth certificate instead of a passport.

And he takes his kids into the CL AND lets them watch a DVD player while they touch various crudite and put them back.

I dont own a suit. I do have a couple pairs of slacks and a bunch of nice button up shirts. I dont even know how to tie a tie. I think ties are the most idiotic piece of clothing someone could wear. Not only are they uncomfortable but they are dangerous. I wear jeans and a polo shirt to work every day. When I go to fancy restaurants I will wear some black slacks and a nice shirt but I NEVER wear a tie. And its too hot in Texas for jackets most of the time.

When I go out with my girl friend to a club or somewhere that dressing up is required I mostly wear a nice pair of dark jeans and a dress shirt untucked with a pair of cowboy boots or dress shoes depending on the place we are going. I also do not like tucking in my shirt. Why push clothing into another piece of clothing? Its not logical thinking to do this.

And to not dress up for church was unthinkable. Now, t-shirts and jeans seem to be OK for church.

I know men who don't own a suit. I wonder what they will wear the next time they attend a wedding or a funeral

I think that you answered your own question.:rolleyes:

Interesting. We just got off Adventure this past Sunday and our experience was quite different.

On both formal nights, judging by the people we saw entering the dining room on our level and the people seated at the approx 20 tables close by us, we saw no t-shirts, shorts or baseball caps. There was a mixture of tuxedos, suits and dress shirts for the men and gowns, cocktail dresses and pants with fancy tops for the ladies. Overall, I felt that the dress in the MDR on every evening was very acceptable, and I'm very conservative.

We were on the ship in March. Just goes to show that there is a different clientele each week. :)

I work with corporate policies, so I have to deal with this sort of thing all the time. Probably why it drives me crazy: Either the rule needs to be enforced or get rid of it.

As for why we should keep the rule... From a larger perspecitive, if companies/society continues to cater to the lowest common denominator, even if it isn't the majority, then value, quality and the uniquness of our society will continue to be whitewashed until it becomes bland and lost.

I dress up on formal night but nothing over the top. I still like to be comfortable. I don't mind what others are wearing. If I'm seated next to a group in shorts and messy hair, I'm okay w/that. It's not going to damper my meal. :D

As for why we should keep the rule... From a larger perspecitive, if companies/society continues to cater to the lowest common denominator, even if it isn't the majority, then value, quality and the uniquness of our society will continue to be whitewashed until it becomes bland and lost.

But maybe our society would be more unique if we did not judge people on what clothing they wore. I've seen a lot of jackasses dressed very nicely.

I dont own a suit. I do have a couple pairs of slacks and a bunch of nice button up shirts. I dont even know how to tie a tie. I think ties are the most idiotic piece of clothing someone could wear. Not only are they uncomfortable but they are dangerous. I wear jeans and a polo shirt to work every day. When I go to fancy restaurants I will wear some black slacks and a nice shirt but I NEVER wear a tie. And its too hot in Texas for jackets most of the time.

When I go out with my girl friend to a club or somewhere that dressing up is required I mostly wear a nice pair of dark jeans and a dress shirt untucked with a pair of cowboy boots or dress shoes depending on the place we are going. I also do not like tucking in my shirt. Why push clothing into another piece of clothing? Its not logical thinking to do this.

I think this is a factor of your lifestyle/job etc. I also live in Dallas and have two sons, 22 and 19. Both own two suits and one has a tuxedo. Both have multiple ties. They both choose to attend functions that call for suit/tie and to dress otherwise really wouldn't be appropriate.

If you aren't required to or have no interest in attending events that require more formal wear, then it makes sense that you wouldn't have a suit. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I do think every man should have at least one suit if for no other reason that to attend a funeral and/or a job interview. But then, I'm not your mother....:)

I dont even know how to tie a tie. I think ties are the most idiotic piece of clothing someone could wear. Not only are they uncomfortable but they are dangerous.

I like ties. I find them dressy and a perfect accessory. Today, wearing a jacket and dress shirt without a tie appears to be very fashionable. I cannot wear a jacket and shirt without wearing a tie. I feel very uncomfortable and just never do it. Different strokes for different folks.

If you don't own a tie and never wear one, how come you know that they are uncomfortable? I also don't see the danger in wearing one.

Archived