Denali questions

bravesfan19

We're going to be going to Denali for 2 nights. We get off in Seward on Friday and fly home from Anchorage on Sunday at noon. There are so many options that I have gotten myself confused. The main thing we want to do in Denali is see wild life and Mt. McKinley. What are my best options for tours and is there anywhere that I can book packages for tours and lodging together?

Going to Denali in your timeframe would not be worth it for me. You would most likely see at least some wildlife in Denali but it may be at a distance. You may get some near the road as you pass but it’s not a guarantee. Also the mountain is only visible about 1/3 of the time.

If you do decide to do this renting a car is the best option. It will take about 8 hours to drive to Denali from Seward. You will want to go at least as far as Eielson, when in the park, so are looking at 7-8 hours roundtrip from the park entrance, just to that point. The drive back to Anchorage is about 5 hours so you would need to get up very early in order to make your flight. There can also be traffic and construction delays.

You may want to consider skipping Denali and staying in Seward for the night. There’s quite a bit of good stuff there to do. A Kenai Fjords day cruise is exceptional. Exit Glacier. Sealife Center.

I absolutely agree with Chilkoot on everything posted above. I have made the drive from Seward to Denali NP and not only know the way but didn't have to loose time in renting a car. The risk of slow downs and bottle necks on the highway from Seward to Anchorage is considerable once you get to the point where the road goes along Turnagain Arm.

There is no alternate road and if there is construction or an accident, you won't make any good time.

It is also a shame not to have the time to stop along Turnagain Arm to enjoy one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I also agree, you do not have enought time. I suggest allowing 9 hours, with stops Seward/Denali, then getting INTO the park- at least to Eielson, then you plan on getting back to Anchorage- when?? Again, it's a 6 hour drive to Anchorage airport, with a required 2 hour window prior. If you can change your flight to the overnight, at the least, would be a superior option??

Otherwise, I say forget it, and stay in Seward instead. Get a costly one way Seward/Anchorage rental car with Hertz, yep- will "cost", but the payback will be the best use of your short time.

You could then drive yourself around on Sat.

I did not realize the driving distances. We really want to see Denali so we added an extra nights stay to our trip so that we could see Denali. Now I'm more confused, I have no idea what to do.

You have added an additional night?? I suggest, if so, and since you must change your flight- then have an overnight flight home on Monday night. that is the ONLY recommendation I have, if you want to include Denali. Otherwise, as I have said, forget it, you underestimated time and distances significantly.

Plan your short time- if you did not add another day- and spend it in Seward. The only reasonable option you have for this time restriction.

Bravesfan19,

Don't feel bad about misjudging the driving times in Alaska. Many people who are used to driving in the Lower 48 (known as Outside in Alaska) make the same mistake.

Alaska does not have more than a few miles of highway that resemble anything in the US Interstate highway system.

Alaska is too vast and has too few people to justify the expense of such a system.

The majority of the highways are 2 lane roads, but some are 4 lanes but are seldom divided highways.

You have to slow down for towns.

Any sort of a traffic slow down, tie up or just plain shut down can ruin your plans for making time when driving in Alaska.

And then there are the many places where you will really want to stop and spend some time.

Make the best of the time you really do have or change your departure flight.

Does everyone need to stick together? Why not consider some doing one thing and others doing something else?

I think "ride the alaskan railroad for a while" in and of itself is not a great idea. How about spend Friday night in Seward and seeing all there is to offer there? How many is 'we'? Maybe on Saturday rent a car and drive to Anchorage - so much to see and do along the way that you would miss if you took the train. That drive could easily take 5-7 hours if you stopped a lot along the way. Then overnight in Anchorage Saturday night, get to the airport by 10am Sunday.

If I were to suggest two places on the road system in Alaska that are must sees, Denali and Seward would be those two places. If you can’t adjust your time in Alaska, Seward is a wonderful place to explore. It’s hard to consider it a consolation. The railroad from Seward to Anchorage is the most scenic portion in the state.

I agree with everyone else, there's just not enough time, but if Denali is a priority, consider ALL the options. Instead of being 'confused', list every possible option, then pick them apart to see which could work. Can you afford a costly fly/drive option ? Every option will be rushed; there's no getting around that. I've driven Seward to Denali and didn't think it was so awful, but I also enjoy driving. You're an adult, figure out your options and decide what will work for you, what you can afford.

Two fly/drive options:

FRI .. disembark. Pick up car, drive to Anc. Scenic drive so make stops and enjoy it! Drop car at airport. Late afternoon flight to Fairbanks, 1 hr. Pick up car at Fai airport, drive 2 hrs to denali.

SAT .. Eielson shuttle 9 - 6p. Dinner, drive back to Fairbanks 2 hrs

SUN .. early morning flight to Fairbanks. (or fly out Sat night depending on flight schedules)

OR, fly to Fairbanks and drive back to Anchorage.

... on Sat evening, instead of returning to fairbanks, drive to Talkeetna to overnight, 3 hrs hrs.

... Sun morning be on the road by 5:30am for the drive to Anchorage, another 3 hrs

If driving is the only option, this is what it could look like. Not a relaxing end to your vacation but it gets you into Denali:

FRI .. disembark 8am. Pick up car. Drive to Anc. It's a scenic drive and a few stops will help break up the drive and provide a more enjoyable day. Reach Anchorage around 1. Then on to Denali, another 6 hrs. Arrive around 8

SAT .. Eielson shuttle 9am-6pm. Dinner, then drive to talkeetna 3 hrs

SUN .. on the road by 5:30am to drive to Anch. 3 hrs

OR just enjoy your time on the Kenai Peninsula!! Many people do. By the way, who is " we" ? Kids? And when is this?

Fri .. Drop off luggage at hotel. Visit Sea Life Center, shuttle to Exit Glacier

Sat .. Kenai cruise. Train to Anchorage.

Sun .. depart

OR

FRI .. disembark. Pick up rental car. Stop at Exit Glacier. Drive to Girdwood 2 hrs to overnight.

SAT .. Portage Glacier cruise $29, Wildlife Conservation Center for injured orphaned wildlife, gold pan, hike, ice worm hike at Beggich Boggs Visitor Center.

SUN .. drive to the airport 1 hr. Leave

There are many options to consider, with or without Denali. So stop wringing your hands and come up with some options. Riding around on the train ainlessly sounds like a waste. You're in Alaska so make the most of it.

Thank you everyone for the comments & help. There are 4 adults in our party. My wife & I * my mother & step-father. I was thinking about renting a mini van. We could leave Seward & drive straight to Denali & stay @ the Denali Bluffs lodge Friday night. Take a tour all day saturday @ denali. Then drive to Anchorage Saturday after the tour & spend the night in a hotel by the airport or stay 2 nights in Denali & get up early Sunday morning & drive to Anchorage for our 12:40 pm Delta flight.

You totally underestimate driving times on 2-lane roads in Alaska. Slow RV's, construction, even accidents. That much driving just for a day in Denali is a crying shame, especially considering how much you will be missing otherwise. And one hitch in your plans, such as the road being closed for a couple of hours due to an accident, and your plans go to pot. But if seeing the roads of Alaska are most appealing to you, your plan is a good one.

I agree with frugaltravel that you are underestimating the drive. I think the drive TO Denali will be ok; it will be daylight and there are lots of stopping points to make it enjoyable. However, as much as I love driving, I wouldn't consider going to Anchorage after a full day in the park. Especially at night when you may encounter wildlife on the road. Plus you'll be tired after an exciting day!

I still think Talkeetna/Trapper Creek would be a good stopping point for Sat night. It's 120 miles, the halfway point. Stay at the McKinley Princess! You don't have to be at the airport until 10:30am so you have plenty of time for the remaining 120 miles. Leave by 6:30am to be safe.

If you want to drive further, look for lodging between Willow and Wasilla. That only leaves you with 70 miles at most to drive on Sunday morning.

Good luck to you!

Archived