So, is the escargot back yet?

cdamion

I think the reason cited for the shortage was a drought, so that is not something that will be remedied any time soon. Hopefully they can find a supplier in a different location.

Especially since it was "just" announced that they were removed from the menu - until further notice. :cool:

I didn't see the announcement. I talked up the escargot to my kids all week, finally they agreed to try it on escargot night and it wasn't there. They did try everything else they normally wouldn't eat though.

I've always had the escargot on a cruise, but I can't say that I truly missed it. It is something I just don't order on land when I actually have to pay money for it.

I didn't see the announcement. I talked up the escargot to my kids all week, finally they agreed to try it on escargot night and it wasn't there. They did try everything else they normally wouldn't eat though.

I've always had the escargot on a cruise, but I can't say that I truly missed it. It is something I just don't order on land when I actually have to pay money for it.

Maybe "announcment" was the wrong word :o.

There was a posting on John Heald's fb page - quoting Carnival - that due the the drought there would be no escargot served until futher notice.

It sparked a "lively" thread - which now I can not seen to find :cool:.....

Maybe "announcment" was the wrong word :o.

There was a posting on John Heald's fb page - quoting Carnival - that due the the drought there would be no escargot served until futher notice.

It sparked a "lively" thread - which now I can not seen to find :cool:.....

You won't find it and don't be surprised if this one eventually disappears.

The cruise lines aren't going to shell out more money for snails because many cruisers are too cheap to shell out more money for cruises.

You won't find it and don't be surprised if this one eventually disappears.

The cruise lines aren't going to shell out more money for snails because many cruisers are too cheap to shell out more money for cruises.

CCL doesn't determine price, the market does. That is why prices are higher during the holidays and lower during fall. If the market says they CCL can sell an inside for $1300pp, the accountants at CCL will figure this out and price accordingly. Unfortunately, the market sees CCL as a bottom of the bucket product and this has caused CCL to price their cabins low.

For those who say that CCL has always been bargain based and this is nothing new, you are wrong. In the past CCL has often been more expensive than RCL, Princess and even Hal. Why would an AK cruise in summer of 2010 cost more on CCL than Princess? One word- the market. Market demand kept that price up there. That is now over.

CCL is in a death spiral of cost cutting, they are chasing their tales. They cut to increase profit, this causes them to lose customers, decreasing demand. To make up for decreased profit from the lower value of their cabins, they cut more corners, it is a viscious cycle. Can it be argued that a lot of people coming off CCL are telling friends and relatives that they have gone down hill, ships are crowded, chogs make it difficult and confrontational to get a chair, food quality has dropped, service is bad, especially in the MDR when it can take hours to get through it, entertainment has been cut to the point to where passenger kaoroke ("Legends Show") might be the high light.

I did quick look on holiday fares for 12/12 and found that CCL is the cheapest. When we did the Dawn Princess in San Diego of '08, at $600pp inside, was almost half the price of cruising the CCL Pride (I think that was the ship) up in LA the same time (was about $1200pp inside). Both cruises were NYE.

What does the market say now? Xmas on the Splendour inside pp is around $650, the same trip on the Sapphire Princess is $1100pp. Why the change> The market- this faceless animal says that CCL is worth 40% less than Princess.

They took away escargot for the same reason they took away other things- to increase profit. They will continue to cut, cabin prices will continue fall from lack of demand (again, they drop not because CCL wants them to, they drop because they can't sell them for more). When they get to the point where cabin prices drop below what it profitable (remember it is better to lose a little money on a cabin with two people than lose more money on a vacant cabin- this makes the claim that "Well, all CCL ships sail fool" a bit uninformed) they move the ships to somewhere else. Five years from now, people will be eating their hamburgers in the MDR talking about the days they used have escargot, shrimp, lobster, etc on board.

CCL doesn't determine price, the market does. That is why prices are higher during the holidays and lower during fall. If the market says they CCL can sell an inside for $1300pp, the accountants at CCL will figure this out and price accordingly. Unfortunately, the market sees CCL as a bottom of the bucket product and this has caused CCL to price their cabins low.

For those who say that CCL has always been bargain based and this is nothing new, you are wrong. In the past CCL has often been more expensive than RCL, Princess and even Hal. Why would an AK cruise in summer of 2010 cost more on CCL than Princess? One word- the market. Market demand kept that price up there. That is now over.

CCL is in a death spiral of cost cutting, they are chasing their tales. They cut to increase profit, this causes them to lose customers, decreasing demand. To make up for decreased profit from the lower value of their cabins, they cut more corners, it is a viscious cycle. Can it be argued that a lot of people coming off CCL are telling friends and relatives that they have gone down hill, ships are crowded, chogs make it difficult and confrontational to get a chair, food quality has dropped, service is bad, especially in the MDR when it can take hours to get through it, entertainment has been cut to the point to where passenger kaoroke ("Legends Show") might be the high light.

I did quick look on holiday fares for 12/12 and found that CCL is the cheapest. When we did the Dawn Princess in San Diego of '08, at $600pp inside, was almost half the price of cruising the CCL Pride (I think that was the ship) up in LA the same time (was about $1200pp inside). Both cruises were NYE.

What does the market say now? Xmas on the Splendour inside pp is around $650, the same trip on the Sapphire Princess is $1100pp. Why the change> The market- this faceless animal says that CCL is worth 40% less than Princess.

They took away escargot for the same reason they took away other things- to increase profit. They will continue to cut, cabin prices will continue fall from lack of demand (again, they drop not because CCL wants them to, they drop because they can't sell them for more). When they get to the point where cabin prices drop below what it profitable (remember it is better to lose a little money on a cabin with two people than lose more money on a vacant cabin- this makes the claim that "Well, all CCL ships sail fool" a bit uninformed) they move the ships to somewhere else. Five years from now, people will be eating their hamburgers in the MDR talking about the days they used have escargot, shrimp, lobster, etc on board.

sadly, you have hit the nail on the head.

I wish my Breeze price would drop 40% for my Xmas cruise. It has gone up $200 pp since we booked it (a year in advance) I would love me a hunk of obc!:D

I wish my Breeze price would drop 40% for my Xmas cruise. It has gone up $200 pp since we booked it (a year in advance) I would love me a hunk of obc!:D

I got a bad taste in my mouth reading that ES eligible bookings are being baited and switched with offers of upgrades, cancelling out ES eligibilty.

I must research more, but it seems you can get hundreds of obc if you just choose to stay in your cabin as opposed to grabbing the offered carrot.

Sure they are. :rolleyes: Quite the alarmist.

That must explain why the price of our cabin for the Miracle Panama Canal cruise is now $1200 more than when I booked it.

I have never experienced most of your complaints, other than Carnival switched brands of butter years ago. What a deal breaker that was. :eek::p

Sure they are. :rolleyes: Quite the alarmist.

That must explain why the price of our cabin for the Miracle Panama Canal cruise is now $1200 more than when I booked it.

I have never experienced most of your complaints, other than Carnival switched brands of butter years ago. What a deal breaker that was. :eek::p

They changed the butter? Oh no have to go to Crystal for my cruises than.icon7.gif

Archived