castaway cay question

mchel210

We just purchased our first DC on Dream in June. My kids love RC but since disney had a great FL resident rate we figured we would try it.

We really dont plan on getting off at Nassau but we would love to explore Castaway Cay. We hadnt planned on purchasing any excursions on Castaway Cay. Can you just wonder the island and have as much fun?

I was reading on the boards that you can bring your own snorkling gear for the kids and just purchase the vest in the lagoon. The travel agent told me you cant do this but I figured she didnt know since it seems so many people did this.

Other then that the bikes are sold out. I read they have some to rent once you get to the island?

And it seems you can just walk the trails and their are water playgrounds? So...pretty much we can just plan on relaxing without purchasing any packages, right?

You can enjoy yourself without purchasing anything. The water slides and kids' areas are all free. The vest to snorkel is free also if you bring your own gear. There are bikes and floats to rent as well as other things if you prefer, but they aren't necessary to have a good time.

My kids love RC ....

If by RC you mean cruising Royal Car' then just think of CC as Labadee or Coco Cay Disneyfied . . .

In all our trips to CC we've parasailed once, and rented a kayak or sunfish a couple of times. We did the banana boat everytime - until it was discontinued . . . Son did the 'teen adventure' thing once and altho was not excited to go ended up having a great time. dd twice spent a big chunk of the day getting whole head shoulder length braided. Generally it is just a beach day with some snorkeling for dad - no charge if you bring your own gear; unlike RC they loan a vest for free if you don't have one.

other differences 'tween RC's "islands" (Labadee is not an island) and CC are pretty much the standard DCL differences like a soft drink station, characters; CC does not have a zip line of course but CC does not charge to use the slide. The only vendors you'll see on CC are Disney ones with the exception of the Bahama's post office for mailing post cards.

and so it begins - the florida resident discounts to fill up the boats.

i knew disney would have trouble filling up two big boats going out of PC week in and week out. I figured their first step would be the massive last minute florida resident discounts.

now i need to find me a florida resident to travel with and be flexible about my sail dates. :)

Just off Princess and am ready for my 2013 Cruise on the Disney Fantasy. Princess Cay is nice but I am eager to go to Castaway Cay without a tender! Are the sodas on Castaway Cay included as they are on board? (We sailed the Magic in the Med so have not yet been to Castaway Cay.)

What types of shaded lounge chairs do they have? Do you have to pay for a clamshell like on Princess?

Just off Princess and am ready for my 2013 Cruise on the Disney Fantasy. Princess Cay is nice but I am eager to go to Castaway Cay without a tender! Are the sodas on Castaway Cay included as they are on board? (We sailed the Magic in the Med so have not yet been to Castaway Cay.)

What types of shaded lounge chairs do they have? Do you have to pay for a clamshell like on Princess?

Think of CC as an extension of the ship, whatever is included onboard is included on the island. Yes, there is a soda station, like on the ships.

There are many, (MANY) umbrellas on the beach. Plenty of shaded areas.

If you wish, and they are available, you can rent a cabana ($499 on the family beach) for up to 6 people. The cabanas have a fridge (with drinks), loungers, chairs, safe and an outdoor shower.

:)

Soda stations and ice cream stations are free on CC. Plenty of umbrellas on the beaches!

Think of CC as an extension of the ship, whatever is included onboard is included on the island. Yes, there is a soda station, like on the ships.

There are many, (MANY) umbrellas on the beach. Plenty of shaded areas.

If you wish, and they are available, you can rent a cabana ($499 on the family beach) for up to 6 people. The cabanas have a fridge (with drinks), loungers, chairs, safe and an outdoor shower.

Thanks for the quick replies! I was just reading about the cabanas on the other thread. I absolutely cannot wait to get on the Fantasy. These little things like soda and ice cream just add up to a better cruise experience. Now what about towels? I seem to remember on Magic there were plenty of towels on the decks and maybe we had some in the room for beach days? I was frustrated with Princess giving us only 4 in the room and none to be found anywhere else.

Thanks for the quick replies! I was just reading about the cabanas on the other thread. I absolutely cannot wait to get on the Fantasy. These little things like soda and ice cream just add up to a better cruise experience. Now what about towels? I seem to remember on Magic there were plenty of towels on the decks and maybe we had some in the room for beach days? I was frustrated with Princess giving us only 4 in the room and none to be found anywhere else.

Yes, DCL provides towels (as many as you want). There are big baskets when you return to the ship for dropping them off.

When you get off the ship at CC they typically hand towels out right at the end of the gangplank. Return bins are in that area too.

Thanks for the info. That is much better than carrying them around the ship and trying to make sure your cabin steward remembered to give you 4 fresh towels.

Thanks for the info. That is much better than carrying them around the ship and trying to make sure your cabin steward remembered to give you 4 fresh towels.

We cruised RCI last year and you had to use your room key to get a towel, and if you didn't return it they charge you $25 for a thin ratty towel, lame!

and so it begins - the florida resident discounts to fill up the boats.

i knew disney would have trouble filling up two big boats going out of PC week in and week out. I figured their first step would be the massive last minute florida resident discounts.

now i need to find me a florida resident to travel with and be flexible about my sail dates. :)

They have always offered last minute Florida resident rates on off-season sailings. They also offer even lower cast member rates--a three nighter on the Dream can runs as little as $150 including tips to CM's and taxes.

They have always offered last minute Florida resident rates on off-season sailings. They also offer even lower cast member rates--a three nighter on the Dream can runs as little as $150 including tips to CM's and taxes.

i know they've always offered them - our cruise on the july 4th immediately following 9/11 was 99% filled with florida residents who only paid $99/person for the entire 3 day cruise :eek:

(everyone was too afraid to book the 4th of july as there was a rumor that DCL was a target for that date).

and i know they often have them - but the number of discounts has increased since the introduction of the dream/fantasy - and not just for florida residents.

If you can be flexible, you can get some really great bargain basement rates from disney. I wonder if it will hurt their brand in the long run.

i know they've always offered them - our cruise on the july 4th immediately following 9/11 was 99% filled with florida residents who only paid $99/person for the entire 3 day cruise :eek:

(everyone was too afraid to book the 4th of july as there was a rumor that DCL was a target for that date).

and i know they often have them - but the number of discounts has increased since the introduction of the dream/fantasy - and not just for florida residents.

If you can be flexible, you can get some really great bargain basement rates from disney. I wonder if it will hurt their brand in the long run.

No more so than giving steep discounts in the parks to Florida residents. At one point within the past year they were offering a three-day park hopper for $99 to Florida residents.

No more so than giving steep discounts in the parks to Florida residents. At one point within the past year they were offering a three-day park hopper for $99 to Florida residents.

i need to find a relative who lives in florida!!!

anyone want to adopt me???? :rolleyes:

i need to find a relative who lives in florida!!!

anyone want to adopt me???? :rolleyes:

That is exactly what I was thinking. I actually lived in Florida for about 2 years. Why did we move away???

DH's region for work is now primarily Florida but we can't and won't relocate there. I wonder if they have some sort of program for people who work but don't live there, through employers or something.

Archived