Confusion between Persian Gardens and Relaxation Rooms

Bobby Dee

On S class, in the front of the ship, attached to the Spa's Space is an area called the Relaxation Room. This area is fitted with comfortable lounging beds, beautiful views, and a very pleasant atmosphere. This area is available to Aqua Class passengers as part of their listed amenities as well as Spa guests who are preparing for a spa treatment.

Also in the Spa area, there is a Thermal Suite with Steam Rooms, Aromatic Suanas, delightful showers, and heated tile loungers. This area is called the Persian Gardens and it also is available to Aqua Class passengers as part of their listed amenities and on a partial basis to suite passengers. This area is also available to the guests who are willing to pay either on a daily basis, or for the entire cruise.

These two areas are often confused and many passengers think that the part of the persian gardens with the tile loungers is the area referred on the brochures as the Relaxation Room.

I have been to several steam rooms, saunas, and thermal suites in settings away from cruise ships and and at each, it was common practice to have conversations and move about from heat to shower, back to heat, and so on. However, I've run across some passengers who feel like I'm disturbing their sleep if I make any noise at all in what has not traditionally been a silent environment. So I'm throwing this out for discussion. I agree that the environment in the Relaxation room is supposed to be quiet and "relaxing." But I disagree that the same environment is expected in the Persian Gardens.

Comments?

Ok, I will play along. I will agree that when I am in a steam room at the YMCA, the local University campus, or at the Golf Country Club, the atmosphere is within the locker room and fitness center area. I think talking is allowed, encouraged, and appropriate. In general it is a men’s locker room and when in the steam room, clothing is very optional.

At the same time, when my wife takes me to a steam room at the local spa after a haircut, (which I sometimes complain about, but actually enjoy) the atmosphere is much more quiet and relaxing. The steam room is for both men and women and is very quiet.

The Persian Garden is intended to be a quiet relaxing place within the spa area (the sign upon entering even asks for quiet) the steam room is of course for both men and women and is actually rather small (max 4 people ?) and not particularly conducive for conversation. I also noticed a sign on Eclipse in January stating that a towel was the minimum clothing for the PG!

So, in my opinion, Celebrity Solstice Class etiquette would be to keep the Persian Garden, steam room, aroma therapy room, quiet.

I think the sign indicating that the Persian Gardens is a quiet space should be your first clue. Personally, I like to relax on a lounger with some quiet music playing on my iPod and zoning out. I am disturbed by loud conversations among others.

When I'm in the locker room of my health club, there's constant chatter going on between the hot tub, sauna and steam room and that's just fine - it's a different place with a different atmosphere.

WHen I was in AQ I tried the Persian gardens several times and the constant yacking was really a wet blanket on trying to relax. I think part of the problem is, there is basically nothing but TILE and even normal conversation seems to be magnified and echoes. Or maybe they were just loud talkers.

Whilst on the topic of Persian Garden & the relaxation room....do they get crowded? From what I can see from photos, deck plans etc, there are only about a dozen lounges in the Persian Garden and you have 300 AQ guests, plus those that have purchased day passes plus guests getting treatments in the spas all potentially trying to use them. In my mind around 400 odd passengers fighting for 12 lounges doesn't seem too relaxing :eek:

Please enlighten me with your experiences.

Thanks

Ando

generally, I have never experienced the Persian Garden crowded other than "peak times" like 1-3pm on a sea day.

I have NEVER experienced crowds in the relaxation room.

My exerience is also that Persian Garden was never crowded. I have found that the staff did not enforce the quiet rule in the Relaxation room and that anyone was allowed into the room so I see the Relaxation room as one of the phantom benefits of AQ.

Whilst on the topic of Persian Garden & the relaxation room....do they get crowded? From what I can see from photos, deck plans etc, there are only about a dozen lounges in the Persian Garden and you have 300 AQ guests, plus those that have purchased day passes plus guests getting treatments in the spas all potentially trying to use them. In my mind around 400 odd passengers fighting for 12 lounges doesn't seem too relaxing :eek:

Was on Eclipse AQ last week. We frequented the Persian Gardens at least 2 times a day. Some days were more crowded than others, but we always found a seat. Peak time seemed to be in the afternoon around 3 or so. I was surprised (happily) that more people did not take advantage of it. When you go in you must leave your seapass in exchange for a key card to get in the room so not just anyone can try to use the PG.

Most people were very respectful of the quiet atmosphere although I will agree the door opening and closing was loud.

The relaxation room downstairs was always empty when I went in.

We loved it!

The Persian garden is a place to lay and relax. It is not intended to be a hangout as there is limited number of lounge tables. Why is it so hard to be quiet for 20 to 30 minutes? I would think that the layout of the area would even indicate that it is not meant for socializing. The lounges don't face each other, and are not close to each other. I think it is just courtesy and common sense, but common sense is not really common as it has to be learned.

There are plenty of other places on the ship to socialize. Chances are you could sit or lay in those areas for hours and never say a word. I have seen couples sitting at a bar having a drink and not say a word all the time they are there.

The Relaxation room seemed to be more of a holding or waiting room for spa treatments. That AQ perk is a joke. I asked about the water and herbal teas that was suposed to be there and was pointed to a table that had a pitcher of water and a thermo pitcher of water that was not very hot to make tea using tea bags. Nothing more than you could get in the buffet area at the bev stations. The only difference was there was ice and hot water at the buffet station. I would rather be laying in fresh air enjoying the view instead of a stuffy room.

Ok, I will play along. I will agree that when I am in a steam room at the YMCA, the local University campus, or at the Golf Country Club, the atmosphere is within the locker room and fitness center area. I think talking is allowed, encouraged, and appropriate. In general it is a men’s locker room and when in the steam room, clothing is very optional.

At the same time, when my wife takes me to a steam room at the local spa after a haircut, (which I sometimes complain about, but actually enjoy) the atmosphere is much more quiet and relaxing. The steam room is for both men and women and is very quiet.

The Persian Garden is intended to be a quiet relaxing place within the spa area (the sign upon entering even asks for quiet) the steam room is of course for both men and women and is actually rather small (max 4 people ?) and not particularly conducive for conversation. I also noticed a sign on Eclipse in January stating that a towel was the minimum clothing for the PG!

So, in my opinion, Celebrity Solstice Class etiquette would be to keep the Persian Garden, steam room, aroma therapy room, quiet.

Agreed 100% They are designed to be a relaxation area so you can be mellow and tranquil for your spa treatment. I have overheard the most obnoxious and etiquette-lacking people in some of these Persian Gardens. Front staff ought to inform participants about the silence. It should be like a law school library, IMHO. Wonder if Celebrity has a policy on it.

By the way, in 2004 on our Baltic Cruise, I had the "displeasure" of sharing the Persian Garden with Dick Morris, who was a guest lecturer. But you know what? He was quiet. Funny that for a loud mouthed news pundit.

Do they still provide a robe and slippers at the spa desk when you check in to use the Persian Gardens?

They provide robe and slippers in the room and offer a robe when you go into the Persian Gardens

Archived