Upgrade fairy strikes!

can786

I logged onto my cruise personalizer today to find I got one of those rare, true upgrades. I had booked an AD minisuite on the Ruby for the transatlantic cruise leaving on Sunday and I was upgraded to a Vista suite. I'm sailing solo, so this is truly a treat I never expected. I can't wait to try breakfast at Sabatini's.

Great news! Did you get an email notice about the upgrade as well? I had received an upgrade a couple weeks ago (not nearly as nice as yours...) and received an email upgrade notice, which is nice since I don't check my Personalizer every day.

Congratulations, that is an awesome uograde! I check my Personalizer religiously 3 times a day hoping for an upgrade on the Ocean Princess this summer - from a balcony to a minisuite - but no luck yet, but this does give me hope!

I logged onto my cruise personalizer today to find I got one of those rare, true upgrades. I had booked an AD minisuite on the Ruby for the transatlantic cruise leaving on Sunday and I was upgraded to a Vista suite. I'm sailing solo, so this is truly a treat I never expected. I can't wait to try breakfast at Sabatini's.

WOW! this is inddeed a rare upgrade. Enjoy, especially Breakfast in Sabatini's.

I did not get an email from Princess, though that could be because I booked through a TA. I had printed my luggage tags out a couple of weeks ago and just this morning decided I'd better get them prepared (I cover them with clear packaging tape for added strength). I got them ready and then decided to check the personalizer. Guess I need to prepare new luggage tags now!

Cathy, great upgrade!! Have a wonderful time and enjoy breakfast at Sabatini's. I am like the OP, I check my personalizer at least 3 times a day, just hoping the upgrade fairy would visit at least once in my lifetime. 29 cruises and never an upgrade!!

On our upcoming cruse in Oct. we did not mark our booking "no upgrade" for the first time, because we were told by Princess that you will only be upgraded to what they call a higher "meta". Another words, from an inside to an outside, a balcony to a mini, and a mini to a full suite.

We booked a specific AD mini (not a guarantee) but now I am worried could you be upgraded to a Window Suite, which of course has no balcony and to us wouldn't be an upgrade????

If you are upgraded do you have an opportunity to say "No Thanks"? :confused::confused::confused: Barb

I did not get an email from Princess, though that could be because I booked through a TA. I had printed my luggage tags out a couple of weeks ago and just this morning decided I'd better get them prepared (I cover them with clear packaging tape for added strength). I got them ready and then decided to check the personalizer. Guess I need to prepare new luggage tags now!

Congratulations and thankx for sharing. Enjoy every minute!

Oh dear, I'm feeling so sorry for you, having to go to all that effort to redo your luggage tags! NOT!

Congratulations on a fine upgrade. We've booked as 'no upgrade' on our fall cruise, as the cruise already seems pretty full, and most of the vacant cabins at 'higher' grades are not actually anything like an improvement ('better' deck but obstructed view, for example) So, we'll be happy with the balcony we've booked, but hope that someone is enjoying a spectacular upgrade. And I'll dream of a cruise in a full suite ...

If you are upgraded do you have an opportunity to say "No Thanks"? :confused::confused::confused: Barb

When I received an upgrade notice via email last week, it said on it:

"IT IS OUR PLEASURE TO ADVISE THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED A COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE INTO THE CABIN LISTED ON THIS CONFIRMATION. IF YOU CHOOSE TO DECLINE, PLEASE NOTIFY US WITHIN 48 HOURS, AND WE WILL ATTEMPT TO RETURN YOU TO YOUR ORIGINAL CABIN. SHOULD A LOWER FARE BE SELECTED,THIS UPGRADE WILL NO LONGER APPLY."

On our upcoming cruse in Oct. we did not mark our booking "no upgrade" for the first time, because we were told by Princess that you will only be upgraded to what they call a higher "meta". Another words, from an inside to an outside, a balcony to a mini, and a mini to a full suite.

We booked a specific AD mini (not a guarantee) but now I am worried could you be upgraded to a Window Suite, which of course has no balcony and to us wouldn't be an upgrade????

Not quite. Princess now has three ways of handling upgrade requests: Open to Any Upgrade; Only Upgrade to the Next Stateroom Type (ex. Balcony to Minisuite); or Do Not Upgrade. If upgraded, you would have the opportunity to change back to your old cabin provided you catch it early enough and the old cabin hasn't been reassigned. If you are happy with your present minisuite, leave it marked as "no upgrade".

It seems I picked a great sailing for upgrades. At least three people on my roll call have been upgraded to full suites with a number of other true upgrades as well such as outside to balcony, balcony to minisuite, etc. Perhaps it is because the cruise still has a lot of empty cabins. Whatever the reason, I'm not complaining! Though since I'm sailing solo my DH (who can't make it on this cruise) tried telling me I should be ashamed to have a full suite all to myself. I am shameless however!

Though since I'm sailing solo my DH (who can't make it on this cruise) tried telling me I should be ashamed to have a full suite all to myself. I am shameless however!

As someone who sails solo myself, I could see feeling like it's a missed opportunity to have such a gigantic suite, and not have a bunch of friends on the same sailing so you could use it as a great place to hang out as a group!

Of course, depending on how long the cruise is, you could collect a new group of friends from those onboard! :p

Archived