does the card linked to your S&S account get charged

LEXIpoo

From Carnival-

spacer.gifspacer.gifFor your convenience, charges for most of your onboard purchases will be posted to your Sail & Sign® account. A required application form will be included with your documents. Registration for this program will occur at the time of embarkation. Carnival accepts American Express, Visa, MasterCard, Discover® Network Card, Diner's Club, Optima Card and cash for deposit on your account. A deposit (ranging from $100 to $350 depending on cruise duration) will be required for cash accounts. Third-party credit cards, Travel Funds Cards, Credit Card Gift Cards and Mini Credit Cards are not accepted on board

If you are using a credit card or debit/check cashing card please be advised that there will be a hold placed on your account as a deposit for your onboard purchases. During your cruise additional holds will be added if your Sail & Sign® account exceeds the amount of deposit Carnival has on file. If you presented a credit card, this will reduce the amount available on your credit card for other purchases. If you presented a debit/check cashing card, the hold will restrict the available cash in your checking account. All charges will be billed to the credit card or debit/check cashing card at the end of the cruise. Please note that Carnival Cruise Lines will not be held responsible for any bank-imposed overage or insufficient funds charged on debit or credit cards.

I've noticed that they put holds every couple of days in about $200 increments. The bad thing for some is that it's up to the bank to remove the holds, so essentially for a short period you have your final S&S balance that was charged on the last day and hundreds of dollars of holds sitting out their too.

My bank has taken as much as 10 business days to remove the holds. I don't mind because I use this one card for my onboard account and it has a big credit line so there is always plenty of room on it, even if I make some pricey purchases onshore.

But that's why I don't use my debit card. I don't want any of my money tied up when I get back.

I've noticed that they put holds every couple of days in about $200 increments. The bad thing for some is that it's up to the bank to remove the holds, so essentially for a short period you have your final S&S balance that was charged on the last day and hundreds of dollars of holds sitting out their too.

My bank has taken as much as 10 business days to remove the holds. I don't mind because I use this one card for my onboard account and it has a big credit line so there is always plenty of room on it, even if I make some pricey purchases onshore.

But that's why I don't use my debit card. I don't want any of my money tied up when I get back.

Excellent reason not to use a Debit Card--I will be using my Carnival MasterCard for our next cruise.

Why not just give them your American Express Card and be done with it? Lots easier that way. I guess you could use your advantage mile card if you wanna scarf up airplanes miles.

Ummm I don't own any credit cards.

On our cruises we use our AMX card for our S&S. On our last morning of our Legend cruise, we received our S&S statement and it was a lot lower than we anticipated. We went down to the Guest Services desk and paid our account off in cash. Our AMX was never charged so they must wait until after debark to put the charges through.

:):)

Get one of the VISA cards you load cash onto if you don't have or want a credit card. If your debit card number is compromised on a debit card, there is little recourse to recover lost funds.

Two weeks ago I used my Mastercard in Cozumel in the Puerta Maya shopping center (ran out of cash) and someone stole the number. A charge to Yugoslav Air for $2.45 followed by a charge for $806 to a scooter company in Kent UK after we got home. Luckily, Mastercard identified it as possible fraud and called me. Now that happened in Mexico, but you are not immune to theft on board either. :mad:

Get one of the VISA cards you load cash onto if you don't have or want a credit card. If your debit card number is compromised on a debit card, there is little recourse to recover lost funds.

Two weeks ago I used my Mastercard in Cozumel in the Puerta Maya shopping center (ran out of cash) and someone stole the number. A charge to Yugoslav Air for $2.45 followed by a charge for $806 to a scooter company in Kent UK after we got home. Luckily, Mastercard identified it as possible fraud and called me. Now that happened in Mexico, but you are not immune to theft on board either. :mad:

But does Carnival take those cards. Aren't those cards just a version of a gift card?

Lexi,

DH and I don't use credit cards (egad!!). We have a debit card and we have cash. I will not tie up my account with holds (I know some people swear they haven't had any, but I have... a one week hold) on my available funds. So, we use cash. And we have never had a problem. I prepay my tips and all our excursions, so that cuts down on the amount of cash we carry.

I have also used a prepaid visa card (green dot card) that had my name, an account number and an expiration date. I don't like the service charges those cards carry, but that is an option for you too.

If you are worried about the holds, use cash.

we don't own any credit cards either, and I refuse to attach our debit card to our account - so we just put cash on the S&S card. Our first cruise we put cash on as it was needed, our second cruise we had quite a bit of OBC on there so we didn't have to worry so much (but we did put some cash on there). This coming up cruise, I plan on calling the Bon Voyage Dept and putting some OBC (using my debit card) onto our account before we get there, then will add more cash later once we are at sea.

we don't own any credit cards either, and I refuse to attach our debit card to our account - so we just put cash on the S&S card. Our first cruise we put cash on as it was needed, our second cruise we had quite a bit of OBC on there so we didn't have to worry so much (but we did put some cash on there). This coming up cruise, I plan on calling the Bon Voyage Dept and putting some OBC (using my debit card) onto our account before we get there, then will add more cash later once we are at sea.

Thanks for bringing this option up. I had forgotten about it. I think this is what I will do for our Christmas cruise. That way everything is done and paid for and we have our own OBC to boot!!!

I started an account at the local credit union and I use that account strictly for my fun money and thats the card I use for my S & S account. My regular account that my bills r paid from is only for bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful which VISA card you buy. We bought some from AAA and on the holder it says not to be used for cruises.

Carnival does take the pre paid debit cards (the ones with your name on them) with the visa or master card logo. Capital One has a good one with few fees. My son got an amscot one a few years ago and was charged for every transaction. what a waste of money!

RMM is right. You can get a prepaid debit (Visa or MC) almost anywhere.. WalGreens I know of for sure. It's called a Green Dot card. I used one my first cruise. I decided the fees were too much for me.

It was a GREAT card for my son to have while he was in college. He would call and say "mom, i need money for whatever" and I could put it on his card.

Why would they not take the prepaid via cards? Others have said they use them and obviously the money is already on the card. I used one to book the cruise so I should be able to use the same card on board.

a lot of those prepaid credit cards state they are only good in the USA.

You booked in the USA. but the ship is not registered in the USA.

Unless your name is on the prepaid card--it can not be used to secure your account.

with your sailing in 80 days I would take those gift cards and buy prepaid onboard credit or buy funship dollars ahead of time

--

to the OP you can secure your account with cash. Remember your tips will automatically be deducted from that amount.

On the last day you will hear peoples name being called over the speakers to come and clear up their accounts. The ship can not be cleared until the ship is cashed out

We used a credit card on our first cruise in 2008.... NEVER AGAIN... Holds took 4 weeks to be removed!:eek: 5 or 6 phone calls to the credit card company, AND to Carnival, and then finally had to get Carnival to call the credit card company for me, with me on the line.... too many headaches.

On our last cruise we just put down cash... $200 OBC from ES, plus $200.00 cash for a 5 day out of Tampa... on the last night they slipped a cheque under our door, cause we hadn't spent it all.... I took the cheque to guest services and cashed it before I left the ship (cash in hand):cool:

In 10 days, we are planning to do the same thing... but we have no ES OBC this time... the prices kept rising ever since we've booked (went up almost $600.00 for our category before the cruise finally completely sold out, so no hope of ES OBC... (Oh well, at least we got a great price), our tips are pre-paid, and our excursions are pre-booked and paid for so no real surprises for us while on board, unless the foo-foo drinks have gone WAY up...

Archived