Westbound TAs, Caribbean not European ports?

So far 3 itineraries have been released for the Westbound TAs in Fall 2013. 2 from the UK and one from Barcelona. Apart from one having a single stop in Madeira, all the Ports of Call are Caribbean as opposed to European ports. The =X= sister line has released most if not all of their itineraries already, and many of those concentrate on the Caribbean too.

Does that encourage you to book a TA or put you off?

The reason I ask is, being British, we would much rather have the Caribbean ports for some 'winter sun' en route to Florida as we can visit Europe any time. In the past however the ships always stopped several times over here before the crossing, appealing to the US market.

I have always been interested in a TA, but the itineraries this released so far are horrible. We have been to the Caribbean many times and would have loved a couple European ports mixed in before those glorious sea days that we love. Not sure what the reasoning is this year for the changes. Of course for us being in the US, is it easy to visit the Caribbean whenever we want.

The #1 draw for us for a Westbound would be all the ports first and many sea days to recover. We prefer Eastbound for weather reasons but the daunting list of cruise ending port stops has us a little concerned. A bunch of Caribbean ports after crussing Atlantic has no appeal to us at all.

We booked the Liberty's 2013 October TA, but we are really disappointed that we don't get to stop anywhere in Europe on the way back, I was looking forward to a few port intensive first few days then nonstop relaxing until we get to Ft Lauderdale. I was looking forward to seeing more places in Spain, I love Barcelona.

But we're trying to be positive about it, we're going to Europe early and spending a few days on our own in Italy, maybe we'll tack on a few places in Spain to make up for it.

I agree with most of the posters so far regarding the lack of European ports on the 3 current 2013 westbound TA offerings. Finally, out of lack of options and scarcity at this point, we did book the IOS 2013 westbound TA and the 4 night cruise prior.

We definately do not like to cruise in hot or Caribbean climes, (and frankly, have been there and done that), and would prefer to not do any of them again.

Dissappointed with the offering so far for 2013, and if nothing else more tradional opens, may end up not doing any TA next year with RCI.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Thanks for the replies so far, much as I expected. Anyone else thinking this?

We did a transatlantic on Celebrity in 2009. Started in Harwich, stopped in LeHavre, Cherbourg, Cobh, Dublin, Greenock Reykjavik, St John's NL, Saint John NB and ended at Cape Liberty NJ. I chose this cruise particularly due to the sampling of numerous European ports, plus the sea days across the Atlantic. I have not seen this cruise repeated by Celebrity, nor have I seen any other line offer anything similar. Too bad. It was wonderful and I'd do it again.

Similar TAs visiting perhaps Iceland and Canada usually take place in September or even late August so that the ships are then in the NE for Fall cruises. Jewel is certainly doing that this year, leaving Harwich on 31st August, calling in France, Ireland, Faroes, Iceland and ending in Boston. 2013 not released yet.

Those are great rates though.

And probably only get better as people realize how unappealing ending a TA in the Caribbean will be. Could be a real bargain for those who hate ports and treat the whole thing like sea days.

So far 3 itineraries have been released for the Westbound TAs in Fall 2013. 2 from the UK and one from Barcelona. Apart from one having a single stop in Madeira, all the Ports of Call are Caribbean as opposed to European ports. The =X= sister line has released most if not all of their itineraries already, and many of those concentrate on the Caribbean too.

The reason I ask is, being British, we would much rather have the Caribbean ports for some 'winter sun' en route to Florida as we can visit Europe any time. In the past however the ships always stopped several times over here before the crossing, appealing to the US market.

Probably, they've realized they get a better bottom line result if they appeal more to the population on the departure side of the sailings. I see their eastbound TAs don't do much, if anything, for Caribbean ports.

As Americans, we would definitely prefer to see the European ports. I am still waiting to see what Royal has sailing out of Rome, but right now I kind of like the Silhouette for 2013 Westbound.

I would really prefer not to stop in St Martin or St Thomas again. I would rather have the Sea Days in the Caribbean and get some Mediterranean in for the Port Days.

I still wish that they would do a stop at Gibraltar.

We did a transatlantic on Celebrity in 2009. Started in Harwich, stopped in LeHavre, Cherbourg, Cobh, Dublin, Greenock Reykjavik, St John's NL, Saint John NB and ended at Cape Liberty NJ. I chose this cruise particularly due to the sampling of numerous European ports, plus the sea days across the Atlantic. I have not seen this cruise repeated by Celebrity, nor have I seen any other line offer anything similar. Too bad. It was wonderful and I'd do it again.

This year, RCI is offering a similar itinerary on Jewel out of Harwich and on Brilliance out of Copenhagen. Nothing has been released for those two ships for summer 2013 yet, so don't give up hope.

Being American, I wouldn't book a TA that only has Caribbean ports. We have limited vacation time, and there's no point in flying to Europe for a Caribbean cruise. I'd rather spend a couple of weeks on land or combine a land trip with a European cruise.

RCI has pursued the "international" part of their name more and more in the past couple of years. Some day I imagine that the pendulum will swing back our way.

My dw and I were on the same cruise and consider it to be one of our all time favorite cruises, notwithstanding the rough seas after Reyjavik. I hope they will revisit this type of itinerary.

In answer to your question as to whether these itineries would put me off, then yes they would and they do. All down to RCI getting cheaper port fees in the Caribbean I reckon than in Europe, and if leaving from Barcelona they don't have to manage the charging and collection of the Spanish 8% VAT for part of the sailing.

Won't book one of these TA/Caribbean trips unless it's almost free!

This has confirmed my thoughts. We actually booked Eclipse out of Southampton which is only an hours' drive from us. We love the chance to visit the Caribbean islands without getting on a plane till after the trip.

Have RCI shot themselves in the foot? Last year our Liberty roll call on the TA from Barcelona with all Spanish ports had over 400 CC members onboard and the ship filled very quickly after the route was released. I suspect they will have to start to sell them off cheaply to the European market at some point.

Archived