Smoking On Board

Ballyboffin

I believe you can smoke in the bar, on the right as you go in, by the pool, right hand side as you look at the bar, and in the cigar lounge. No smoking allowed in suites, on balconies, and in other public areas. There may be other areas, but as a non smoker I am not certain where they are. Hope this helps.

I believe you can smoke in the bar, on the right as you go in, by the pool, right hand side as you look at the bar, and in the cigar lounge. No smoking allowed in suites, on balconies, and in other public areas. There may be other areas, but as a non smoker I am not certain where they are. Hope this helps.

Unless the Whisper has different rules smoking is allowed in cabins.

At Silversea, the comfort, enjoyment and safety of all guests is paramount. Most areas on board are non-smoking, however there are certain areas where cigarette smoking is permitted: specifically designated tables in some bars and lounges and specifically designated outside areas on the open deck. Cigar and pipe smoking are only permitted in the Connoisseur’s Corner and in specifically designated outside areas on open Decks 9 and 10 aboard Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper and Silver Spirit, and open Deck 9 aboard Silver Cloud and Silver Wind. As a safety precaution, smoking is not permitted on any guest suite veranda. Silversea kindly requests that all guests observe the non-smoking areas.

At Silversea, the comfort, enjoyment and safety of all guests is paramount. Most areas on board are non-smoking, however there are certain areas where cigarette smoking is permitted: specifically designated tables in some bars and lounges and specifically designated outside areas on the open deck. Cigar and pipe smoking are only permitted in the Connoisseur’s Corner and in specifically designated outside areas on open Decks 9 and 10 aboard Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper and Silver Spirit, and open Deck 9 aboard Silver Cloud and Silver Wind. As a safety precaution, smoking is not permitted on any guest suite veranda. Silversea kindly requests that all guests observe the non-smoking areas.

Which doesn't prohibit smoking in cabins, only on verandas.

You speak from experience ?

No,but the water would surely dampen the lighting up process.

I like what another poster said

Smoking is not compulsory but breathing is.

I always ask smokers if my eating a meal will upset their smoking.

No,but the water would surely dampen the lighting up process.

I like what another poster said

Smoking is not compulsory but breathing is.

I always ask smokers if my eating a meal will upset their smoking.

Why would you wish to eat a meal in the bar or in the humidor

• 4 weeks later...

At the risk of winding up in the middle of a food fight, let me respectfully suggest to Randyk47 that the language quoted by the previous poster (which appears to come from a Silversea document) does not imply that smoking in cabins is permitted. The paragraph states that smoking is permitted in specified areas, and goes on to specify those areas. Cabins are not among them. The paragraph then goes on to address verandas specifically -- presumably because verandas are "open areas" -- and states that verandas are not among them either.

Whether fizzy's recent experience reflects some subsequent change in the rule (or reflects the practice prior to this document), I obviously have no idea.

If you are assigned a cabin previously occupied by a smoker, does it smell of smoke? I am a former smoker and can't stand to be around the smell. We're used to Oceania where there are only two smoking areas on all ships and very easy to avoid.

If you are assigned a cabin previously occupied by a smoker, does it smell of smoke? I am a former smoker and can't stand to be around the smell. We're used to Oceania where there are only two smoking areas on all ships and very easy to avoid.

I have never entered a cabin upon boarding and smelled leftover smoke -- doesn't happen.

We have only taken two Silversea cruises (with one booked next year), and have never smelled smoke in our suite. The only place we've noticed it is in the bar when the smoke wafts from the smoking section to the non-smoking section.

At the risk of winding up in the middle of a food fight, let me respectfully suggest to Randyk47 that the language quoted by the previous poster (which appears to come from a Silversea document) does not imply that smoking in cabins is permitted. The paragraph states that smoking is permitted in specified areas, and goes on to specify those areas. Cabins are not among them. The paragraph then goes on to address verandas specifically -- presumably because verandas are "open areas" -- and states that verandas are not among them either.

Whether fizzy's recent experience reflects some subsequent change in the rule (or reflects the practice prior to this document), I obviously have no idea.

Deleted.....

I agree that the language is confusing or at least vague but in practice Silversea allows smoking in cabins. It actually was discussed in a casual and friendly manner with the hotel manager on our cruise and he clearly and without hesitation said smoking in cabins was permitted. He was asked if that was just a "situational call" consistent with Silversea's reputation of giving passengers what they want or company policy. He said it was company policy but allowed that the wording could be clearer. As somebody who spent many, many years writing guidelines, procedures, and policies I'd personally have been much more specific. As an aside I found it interesting that the captain on our cruise was a smoker to the point that an ashtray had been mounted next to the captain's chair on the bridge. Realize that that has nothing to do with cabins, it was just surprising when I noticed it during our tour.

We left the Silver Spirit yesterday and whilst i think the staterooms and the service are fantastic thats my first and last cruise until Silverseas face the issue of smoking and cigars and pipes and restrict them totally to Connisours Corner and the Humidore

We liked to sit on the only comfortable seating areas on the entire ship ..........outside the rear of the Panorama Lounge

The rules in the T and Cs are totally AMBIGUOUS and theres no properly designated smoking areas or policing of same

There were 6 very arrogant and extremely inconsiderate big cigar smokers who frequented the area and 9 times out of 10 simply picked up an ashtray and moved across to the non smoking side

Even if they stayed on the non smoking section the smoke gathered under the canopy and infiltrated non smoking section to where we left coughing and choking

Not one Officer would do anything

We were told to call Security but all that resulted in was lowly Bar Staff being told to deal with matters

The Bar Staff were of course in fear of complaints and tesulting loss of their jobs

A written complaint received a curt " I have referred it to Shoreside " response from the Hotel Manager Paulo

Neither he nor his deputy Tim were interested in going up to Deck 9 to taste for themselves the stench

Other passengers complained that Balconies were invaded by Cigar Smoke

Whats clear is Silver Seas simply do not care and considering just how many young children and non smokers were onboard it simply is not good enough that a minority can ruin the entire cruise for the majority of passengers

Hi Philli, My DH and I were also on that cruise and I beg to differ on how the cigar smoking was handled.

My husband smokes the occassional cigar and had one on 2 separate nights in the Cigar Lounge. One another evening he went outside to the Panorama lounge smoking area to have a cigar. We had never been out there and we sat with another cigar smoker (older french gent) infront of an ashtray. Within 10 seconds, a bar person came out and told us that we were not in the proper smoking area and he picked up the ashtray and moved it over to the proper side. I *think* that the older french gent had moved it over and, of course, we had no idea where it originated so we just sat with him.

The staff member was polite but firm and clearly explained where he could smoke. And, there wasn't anyone else out there in the dead of night except DH and this other cigar smoker. So, I'm pleased to report that SS DOES take action. Sorry you didn't experience the same.

One of the bar staff on Panorama we got to know very well and he was indeed very good at moving errant cigar smokers

however the other 2 were not and when they were on duty nothing got done

We liked to sit out on the non smoking side during the day but all too often were driven off by the stench of cigar smoke which was funneled under the canopy and across even to the farthest edge of the non smoking side .............cigarette smoke thankfully was not so much of a problem

I know exactly the old French Guy who moved ash trays and sat where he liked along with the other cigar smokers no matter how many times they were politely spoken too

The issue is its totally unfair to expect majority of passengers who are non smokers being forced to put up with or not even sit out there because a few cigar smokers ruled the roost and that neither the Hotel Manager or his deputy were prepared to back up or witness the situation at first hand

Cigars and pipes should be restricted totally to Connisours Corner

LOL, Philli, the older French gent was hard to miss, wasn't he? We called him Monsieur Bleu because he ordered Johnny Walker Blue but couldn't request it in English, so I translated it for him. Never did learn his name.

I totally agree about smoking cigars and pipes and cigarettes in the loung area. The aversion that you have to cigar smoke is what I have with cigarette smoke (reform smoker here) and it only takes 1 smoker to make the smell.

Did you ever get to the front of the ship? In the observation Loung, you can go outside and climb another staircase to an upper level. No chairs or anything, but you can stand and enjoy the view. It has alot of wind, but you can manouver yourself away from it. I think this is where the smoking area should be, but what do I know.

Archived