Norwegian Pearl Balcony/Mini Suite bathroom question

dedels

Hi Everyone -

This is my first time posting a question like this here. I've been lurking on these boards since a bit before my last cruise in 2010 on RCCL's Liberty of the Seas. I've always appreciated the wealth of advice and opinions on these boards and am hoping now that some of you may be able to answer a quick question for me.

We've recently booked a trip for Jan. 2013 on Norwegian Pearl. We're sailing with my mom, aunt, two nieces, and my wife and 1 year old son. Wife, baby and I are all currently booked in a balcony stateroom.

From these boards and looking at the Norwegian website, it seemed to me that the balcony staterooms, as opposed to the mini suites only have a shower and not a tub. We emailed our travel agent who said that on the Pearl, the balcony rooms do in fact have tubs as well. Can anyone confirm this?

My past cruises have all been on RCCL's Liberty OTS and Freedom OTS, so I am slightly concerned that the Pearl's balcony cabins may be a little smaller than I am used to, so the extra room for the mini suite might be an added bonus. But with my 1 year old, it is really the tub that is the driving force for considering the upgrade.

If we do upgrade, we will need to consider if its worth the price difference (the agent didn't price it for us yet), and I'm not sure if that would mean we wouldn't be able to have a cabin near my mom's and aunt's regular balcony cabins.

I'm really excited for this cruise since its my first time trying out a different cruise line (and we'll have my mom with us for some free babysitting to top it off! :D).

Thanks so much in advance for your help, and any other related suggestions or advice would always be appreciated.

Darren

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

I saw the floorplan's on the NCL website, but there is the fine print below all the images that says - "Stateroom images, square footage, and configurations are representative only. Actual accommodations may vary."

I guess my questions is more specifically, does anyone know from first hand experience if there are tubs in the balcony rooms or not?

Is it possible that they have updated the balcony rooms to include tubs since the floor plans were put up on the website?

I asked the travel agent to please double check her sources in the meantime.

We sailed the Pearl in 2009 and I can tell you first hand, the balcony rooms do not have a tub.

Thanks for that - exactly the type of confirmation I was looking for...

A little frustrated that the travel agent is giving me wrong info - :confused:

Now for a more subjective, but related question - as my son is only 4 months old now, so I don't know what it will be like traveling with a 1 year old yet, does anyone think its worth spending more to get the tub? What about the extra space?

It looks like the biggest trade off other than the cost factor would be that we wouldn't have a cabin by my mom or aunt, which would undermine the convenience of having them around to help with the baby at times.

I don't have children, but several people have posted on here that what they did was get a small, blow-up pool and put it in the shower stall. I've seen them at places like Wal-mart and they wouldn't take up much space in the luggage, they're inexpensive, so you could leave it aboard if you didn't want to repack it.

The balcony staterooms are really small and have no tub. It's probably not a large amount of money to upgrade to a mini-suite, but really worth it both for the tub AND the extra space. It doesn't sound like much, but with a 1 year old it's nice to have room for the Pack n Play, or even a little space roam. You will be MUCH more comfortable, and totally worth it, even though you will be further from your family. I was recently on a cruise with my mom and we were on different floors, different parts of the ship. We would meet up at the stairwell on a floor and travel together, or met up places. Not a big deal. No tub? That would have been a very big deal for us. Some people bring inflatable tubs, but trust me, you are much better off getting a REAL tub IMO.

I don't have children, but several people have posted on here that what they did was get a small, blow-up pool and put it in the shower stall. I've seen them at places like Wal-mart and they wouldn't take up much space in the luggage, they're inexpensive, so you could leave it aboard if you didn't want to repack it.

I just think this pool is the cutest thing ever....(yes I'm hyperbolic)

41bgsmkWnJL._SL500_AA300_.jpgAnd you can use it as a splash pool for the infant too. Fill it up and set it on the balcony or bring it to the pool deck and fill it so the baby can splash happily without breaking the No Diaper rule at the pool! :D

wow - great feedback - thanks so much!

my wife really likes the inflatable pool idea. still thinking if its worth upgrading for the extra space though.

I just really like the idea of having a cabin right next door to my mom, so that I know she's right there in case we want to leave the baby with her at any random moment - and she can also stay in her own room if the baby is asleep in ours (I don't know if we'll have connecting rooms, but we plan to ask the steward to open up the balcony for us either way).

Shifting topics slightly (and I realize it might be more appropriate to start a new thread for this, though this just seemed easier - let me know please if I'm violating any sort of rules or etiquette by not making a new thread)...

Is there anyone who has sailed both the Pearl and any of RCCL Freedom class ships? I'd love to hear peoples' thoughts on comparing one to the other. Obviously everyone has their own preferences, but am still curious. All of my cruises have been on the Freedom class ships, and I have really enjoyed those ships a lot.

Thanks again!

I have sailed quite frequently on RCCL and am getting ready to sail on the Pearl on the 29th. If you have specific things you're wondering about, I can check it out for you. I really like freestyle cruising, so that will sway my opinion and it was definitely different the first time we sailed NCL after having sailed RCCL for about a dozen cruises.

Just noticed - you might want to read the Star review, dated 4/8, just posted by an RCCL fan. The last part sums up what I've heard many "regular cruise fans" post about a "freestyle cruise" as far as the things they miss going freestyle.

I think it would be more important to be near mom than have a tub. It's only a week. baby will be fine with sponge baths or the blow up pool idea. Save your money for excursions and extras. Baby will be sleeping lots with all the extra stimulation around.

wow - great feedback - thanks so much!

my wife really likes the inflatable pool idea. still thinking if its worth upgrading for the extra space though.

I just really like the idea of having a cabin right next door to my mom, so that I know she's right there in case we want to leave the baby with her at any random moment - and she can also stay in her own room if the baby is asleep in ours (I don't know if we'll have connecting rooms, but we plan to ask the steward to open up the balcony for us either way).

Shifting topics slightly (and I realize it might be more appropriate to start a new thread for this, though this just seemed easier - let me know please if I'm violating any sort of rules or etiquette by not making a new thread)...

Is there anyone who has sailed both the Pearl and any of RCCL Freedom class ships? I'd love to hear peoples' thoughts on comparing one to the other. Obviously everyone has their own preferences, but am still curious. All of my cruises have been on the Freedom class ships, and I have really enjoyed those ships a lot.

Thanks again!

One thing to keep in mind is that most ALL cruise lines reduce their rates as time goes by for most all destinations. You could always book a Balcony and then watch the rates and call your TA or NCL direct when you see the cost of a mini suite drop down to the price you paid for your balcony. As long as this is before the final payment is due, most cruise lines will upgrade you to the higher category cabin for ...free!

I am bringing my 10 month old on a cruise this june. We have a balcony and we bought an inflatable bathtub to bring with us. I prob will just end up washing her in the sink, lol, after its properly cleaned of course. Beats bending down to the floor to bathe, her barhs are usually quick :)

Get the mini-suite, you will appreciate the extra room and the tub.

As far as being near mom (I don't know where her cabin is) you can get a mini on deck 11 and a balcony on deck 10 and if you are both close to the stairs it would be similar to going upstairs at your house to go to bed, just run up the stairs (or elevator) .

Another plus to having the mini is that you could probably fit your whole group in it fairly comfortably as a gathering place.

For example, on this trip to Alaska we are going with 2 other couples who have never cruised or been to Alaska. We have gotten the aft Penthouse on Deck 10 and they are in aft mini's on deck 11 - this way we have a larger room that everyone can gather in for coffee or cocktails or whatever, and we are very close to them.

I cruised with an 11 month old in 2007 in a OV w/ no tub and then a few years later in a mini suite on the Pearl. The kids were 4 & 7. I wish that would have had the tub in 2007. It was soooooo worth the upgrade even when the kids were a little older. I can't really express in words how valuable a tub is with small kids. Yes you can do a sponge bath or take the baby in the shower with you, but the bathroom is small and it is such a pain. I agree with a previous poster that if you book near the stairs it wont be a great distance. Also, I have read recently that they are not opening balcony connectors anymore...only when in port. Just my 2 cents.

I have been in a balcony and a minisuite room at different times and the minisuites have more room. Balcony rooms on NCL are squashed. Really liked the minisuite better. Other lines, balcony rooms are way more spacious.

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts!

I have sailed quite frequently on RCCL and am getting ready to sail on the Pearl on the 29th. If you have specific things you're wondering about, I can check it out for you. I really like freestyle cruising, so that will sway my opinion and it was definitely different the first time we sailed NCL after having sailed RCCL for about a dozen cruises.

Thanks for offering to do some reconnaissance for us.

I'm as concerned about the freestyle/traditional dining as much as just wondering how the ship and amenities compare. (In general, I think my preference is for traditional dining - just feels more like a cruise - but have no qualms about trying out freestyle, since that's basically what we do on any other non-cruise vacation anyways :D). I'm not sure I understand why everyone gets so worked up about the freestyle thing, besides didn't RCCL come out with its own version of that anyways? (MyTime Dining or something?)

We really like the flowrider and the ice shows on the RCCL Freedom class ships, and the Royal Promenade of course.

What are the amenities/activities on the Pearl like?

I know I should probably spend more time exploring the Pearl's amenities on there website, but figure first hand experience would trump the marketing on the website.

Is there any noticeable difference in getting on/off the ship when at port?

Any other comparisons you notice would be awesome. Thanks again.

Have a fantastic sailing!!!

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts!

I'm not sure I understand why everyone gets so worked up about the freestyle thing,

Just speaking for myself, here's why. Without the freestyle thing, I would never, ever cruise. For me and I guess my lifestyle, I am an informal person....when the situation permits informality. I am not very social with persons I don't know.....worked a long career in a very specialized field which limits me from discussing most topics of interest to many other persons. My eating habits are varied and so are my dining hours. A traditional cruise with the traditional dress and dining.....to me would be a nightmare. It won't happen. But with NCL....I can't get enough of their ships and crew. Have three more cruises booked at the moment, next one in four weeks. Just my feelings about freestyle. But.....isn't it wonderful that we have so many cruise companies and their respective styles from which to choose.

I know you didn't ask this, but I would change my travel agent if he/she didn't know that MOST balcony cabins do NOT have bathtubs! I've cruised or been in balconies on Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Holland America and have NEVER seen a bathtub in a balcony cabin. At a minimum, the travel agent should have verified it with just a phone call and called you right back.

Your travel agent should also have told you that there are a lot of connecting balcony cabins on the Pearl and helped you book those. They are really easy to find with the deck plans provided by Norwegian. We've had connecting cabins with friends and it was so convenient -- would especially be with your baby.

Before you trust anything our TA says, check here.

These folks KNOW and have actually been on these ships.

As to mini-suites. Slight more room, but do NOT think they are fit to add lots of extra people. They are still just a cabin.

As to blow up pool. Do people bring that so THEY feel better, or because baby feels better? Think about it.

Archived