Various Questions About Med Cruise

Marysunshine

Since this has to do with different ports I posted here so I only had to post once:

What currency is used in Greece? Want to be prepared

How much is the taxi fare (legitimate) from Piraeus to Athens?

Will it be possible to get a taxi from the train to port at Citivecchia?

Anything I haven't thought of will be much appreciated.

Since this has to do with different ports I posted here so I only had to post once:

Currency in Greece is the Euro.

You can get a taxi from the train station in Civitavecchia to the port entrance. The port authority then provide free shuttle buses to the ships in most cases.

Not visited Piraeus so can't help with that, sorry.

I've visited Piraeus on two cruises but never taken a taxi. Royal Caribbean offers a bus drop-off into Athens for, I think, $45 roundtrip per person, but the two times I've been there, I've just walked to the Metro station and bought an all-day Metro pass. There's also a Hop-on, Hop-off bus. I'm sure there will be taxis available, and maybe someone on the ports of call board can tell you the cost.

The currency in Greece is the Euro.

I'm not sure how mobile you are, but the train station is easily walkable. The cruise ship pier is very, very long. There will be a shuttle that takes you from the ship to the base of the pier. From there, it's only a couple blocks to the train station. You'll see several people doing it. Just fall in with them. There are little to no taxis at the Civitavechia port.

I'm not sure how mobile you are, but the train station is easily walkable. The cruise ship pier is very, very long. There will be a shuttle that takes you from the ship to the base of the pier. From there, it's only a couple blocks to the train station. You'll see several people doing it. Just fall in with them. There are little to no taxis at the Civitavechia port.

If Marysunshine is boarding in Civi and has luggage to contend with, then it would be worth getting a taxi from the train station to the port gates. It is not very far when you are just strolling along with no bags, the journey lengthens with 2 suitcases and a handbag .

And one more question: I've read sooooo many directions from Piraeus to Athens....some say to get off the train at Syntagma, others say Omonia, one said Akropoli. Does anyone know which is really the best stop to get off? Thanks

* Greece...Euros.

* Taxi from Piraeus to Athens...4 of us shared a taxi for 50 Euros total, roundtrip. He drove us from the cruise port to the Acropolis. We met him at the end of the day and he took us back. Well worth every penny! We were able to visit the Acropolis early and before the massive crowds arrived.

* Yes, there are taxis waiting outside the train station in Civitavecchia. If you're able to walk...its only about 4 short blocks to the port. Inside the port gate, there are free shuttle that will take you directly to your ship.

And one more question: I've read sooooo many directions from Piraeus to Athens....some say to get off the train at Syntagma, others say Omonia, one said Akropoli. Does anyone know which is really the best stop to get off? Thanks

Depends on where you're going. I have always gone to Akropoli because I like to go to the Acropolis first - to do that, you have to change from the Green line to the Red line at Omonia, and then take the red line train that says it's going to Agios Dimitrios, and get off at Akropoli. It's really easy. There are Athens Metro maps online.

Archived