Train travel help please

PG13

I know this was covered else where but I can't find it.

I've read a number of things about this but need specifics now. I want to get from Anchorage to Seward. I read about Explorer, Gold, but went to one train site they want to know if I want coastal, etc.

Budget Queen talked about Anventurer vs Gold vs Dome. Something about Princess train facing backwards? Are all these the same train. Three different trains. WHich ever train has Adventurer leaves Anchorage very early 6:30. Later train morning train?

I thought this part would be easy, but I fear I can make a mistake here too.

So help please. Pat

Ok, there are actually two possiblilities for the train to get from Anchorage to Seward.

The Regular scheduled service, which is on the Alaska railway site, leaves at around 06:45 in the morning. This one has the normal car service or the goldstar service, which is a double decker car with a sort of balcony on the back end. This train leaves from the downtown train station.

We booked the other train, through RCI which I believe leaves around 12:00 noon. RCI states your plane must arrive by 11:00 am in order to catch this one. This train leaves directly from the airport. As we are staying in Anchorage pre-cruise, our instructions are to check in at the downtown marriott 2nd floor cruise ship center prior to 10:00 am, check our bags and we will be transferred to the airport to catch the train.

With the RCI option we booked, you check your baggage prior to boarding and it is shipped separately your vessel and will show up at your cabin. I am not sure what baggage options are available with the 06:45 option.

We paid US$102.00 each I believe for our transfer which is supposed to take around 4 and a half hours. The Goldstar service in the morning costs i think around US$135.00 each and the economy class on the morning train is something around $70.00.

The only third option I am aware of for the transfer is by bus, I may be wrong and if I am and someone else knows about this please correct me.

I didn't know we could make those arrangements through RCI, should have known thogh I guess. OK, I like the RCI option because we don't have to be up so early, however, I was wondering if we can make arrangements for that train on Thursday too. We wanted to spend 2 days in ANchorage and 1 in Sewaard before the ship sails. So maybe we need to check in with that ohter train that leaves down town at 6:45 am. We're from Michigan so 6:45 their time is more like 10:45 our time so it won't seem so early. At least I think that's how it goes? Still debating and thank you so very much. When are you sailing? We go out June 15th. Pat

Ok, there are actually two possiblilities for the train to get from Anchorage to Seward.

The Regular scheduled service, which is on the Alaska railway site, leaves at around 06:45 in the morning. This one has the normal car service or the goldstar service, which is a double decker car with a sort of balcony on the back end. This train leaves from the downtown train station.

We booked the other train, through RCI which I believe leaves around 12:00 noon. RCI states your plane must arrive by 11:00 am in order to catch this one. This train leaves directly from the airport. As we are staying in Anchorage pre-cruise, our instructions are to check in at the downtown marriott 2nd floor cruise ship center prior to 10:00 am, check our bags and we will be transferred to the airport to catch the train.

With the RCI option we booked, you check your baggage prior to boarding and it is shipped separately your vessel and will show up at your cabin. I am not sure what baggage options are available with the 06:45 option.

We paid US$102.00 each I believe for our transfer which is supposed to take around 4 and a half hours. The Goldstar service in the morning costs i think around US$135.00 each and the economy class on the morning train is something around $70.00.

The only third option I am aware of for the transfer is by bus, I may be wrong and if I am and someone else knows about this please correct me.

Thats only the RCI option though, I don't know if other cruise companies use the same train, It would make sense though if they are in port at the same time. As for my sailing date, check my signature block. You can get one yourself, go to the top of the page and click on countdown clocks.

As you mentioned, 6:45 isn't bad when you're coming from ET.

When we went on the Radiance, we took the regular AK RR train at 6:45 am since we went two days prior to our cruise. When we took the regular AK RR, we dropped off our luggage outside the Anchorage depot building and we told them we were staying at the Holiday Inn Express. The hotel picked up our luggage and stored it in a big, locked room in their hotel until we claimed it. Very easy.

We prefer Goldstar Service because we wanted a reserved seat in their dome car and the use of the outside balcony for photography and sight seeing. We walked through the entire train just to see how it looked and it seemed the Adventure class cars varied from train car to train car. The Adventure class dome car was NOTHING like the Goldstar dome car, BTW.

The Coastal Classic is quite scenic and well worth the cost, for us. Everyone has their own priorities and I respect that. But if you have the money to spend and want comfort and a nice train car, you will enjoy the Goldstar service.

Thanks we can afford it just wasn't sure if it was worth it for a 4 hour trip. I keep waffling bsed on who I'm listening to. Who knows if we'll get to do this again. So I go to Travel Alaska to book this?

As you mentioned, 6:45 isn't bad when you're coming from ET.

When we went on the Radiance, we took the regular AK RR train at 6:45 am since we went two days prior to our cruise. When we took the regular AK RR, we dropped off our luggage outside the Anchorage depot building and we told them we were staying at the Holiday Inn Express. The hotel picked up our luggage and stored it in a big, locked room in their hotel until we claimed it. Very easy.

We prefer Goldstar Service because we wanted a reserved seat in their dome car and the use of the outside balcony for photography and sight seeing. We walked through the entire train just to see how it looked and it seemed the Adventure class cars varied from train car to train car. The Adventure class dome car was NOTHING like the Goldstar dome car, BTW.

The Coastal Classic is quite scenic and well worth the cost, for us. Everyone has their own priorities and I respect that. But if you have the money to spend and want comfort and a nice train car, you will enjoy the Goldstar service.

The biggest negative to the cruise contracted trains, is they leave Anchorage too early and arrive in Seward too late for any touring, and they cost more. :) That may be important to some people, who wish to take advantage of being in Alaska.

Both take the same route.

A third transfer option is a one way rental car with Hertz. This, also allows some excellent touring choices to be easily added. There is so much to see and do. :)

From what I've read, the Coastal Classic (which is the route from Anchorage to Seward) is supposed to have pretty fabulous scenery. So, this is one of our splurges and we are doing Gold class. I just have to keep telling myself that 6:45 am is realy 10:45 am at home (over and over again)!

Archived