What's so special about the hydropool?

NoobCruise

How does the hydropool in the spa differ from the hot tubs? Obviously it's more elegant and I would guess quieter with less people, but is there a temperature difference? More/less jets? is it just a heated pool? Just trying to figure out if its worth paying for when the hot tubs are free. Thanks!

On the Vista/Signature ships it's much larger than a hot tub; not so on the S- & R-class ships.

On the larger ships the pool has a center area with very forceful water. The outer area has vents at various levels, as well as some loungers made of pipe. Very nice.

Last, the water temperature should be much less than in the hot tubs, although at times it is hot. It is supposed to be body temperature, which is much better for anyone with a cardiac condition, or pregnant women.

Following up on Ruth's posting. Our first HAL cruise was on Zaandam (R class) to Alaska. Our second was to Mexico on Oosterdam (Vista). Ruth's description and narrative of the differences are spot on. I would add that while the much larger hydropool on Oosterdam was in a separate room from the ceramic loungers (made up of a horizontal stack of ceramic conduits through which a stream of gloriously, delightfully heated water continuously flows), the glorified hot tub that was the hydro"pool" on Zaandam was in the same room as the 6 ceramic loungers.

But what a room! On Zaandam the hydro spa is high up, forward, and on the starboard side. Floor-to-ceiling windows comprised two of the walls, starboard and foreward. The views were stunning. Plus, there was a small deck directly outside the spa. So long as you were wearing one of the terrycloth robes they provide, you could comfortably stand in the fresh air for short periods of time before ducking back into the cozy warmth of the spa.

Maybe it's also the difference between a warm-weather destination like Mexico on the one hand and Alaska on the other. DW and I found ourselves using the spa every single day and sometimes twice in a day. We found it much less of an attraction on the Mexico cruise. I didn't go there everyday and occasionally when I did go it was almost out of a sense of obligation. (You know: I gotta get my money's worth out of this thing!)

On our future travels on S class, R class, and Prinsendam (Good Lord willing and the money don't run out!), we will probably pop for the hydropool amenity again. For our upcoming Mediterranean cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam, I don't think so.

I love the hydro pool on the vista/signature ships. I book it for the week every cruise. Not only is it larger and more private, but I also read on the lounge chairs by the pool and get back in again. I love the tall jets that you can use for neck and shoulder pain as well. While it is not cheap for me it's worth it. I don't use the regular pool at all. The temperature is just right for me and my skin always feels so good after getting out. I do love those heated ceramic chairs also. It is my way of relaxing every day at sea.

What HAL considers a thermo pool on the R and D class ships:

0107.JPG

Thermo pool on the Vista and Singature class ships:

1091.JPG

Thanks so much for the pictures. I've been taking the tour before booking. Loved the big spa on one ship we've cruised and considered it worth the $$. When it looks like the regular hot tub, it's not worth the $$$$ IMO.

Loved the big spa on one ship we've cruised and considered it worth the $$. When it looks like the regular hot tub, it's not worth the $$$$ IMO.

In the case of the R- and S-class ships, it's not the tub I enjoy so much; it's the ceramic loungers and the views out the windows. For that it's money well spent, especially in a cool-weather environment, imo. To each his/her own.

I REALLY enjoy the large hydropool but when on the smaller ships the small one will do. The thermal loungers are divine. I always get the thermal suite package. One little luxury that I endulge in. Could not imagine not spoiling myself for the duration of the cruise. JMO.

In the case of the R- and S-class ships, it's not the tub I enjoy so much; it's the ceramic loungers and the views out the windows. For that it's money well spent, especially in a cool-weather environment, imo. To each his/her own.

Thanks for posting pictures, Bob. Your description of the Thermal Spa on the Zaandam has helped me make up my mind. Have already been to all these ports 3 times so will enjoy using the Spa on my southbound passage. :)

ITA with the above post about the HEATED ceramic loungers...they are the best. :D

Went on the Oosterdam and spent the entire last sea day doing the spa. The large hydro-pool was alright, but the jets were so powerful...I had to hang on to the metal bars so I wouldn't float off the underwater lounger. This was not that relaxing to me. I am not sure if the jets were just set too intense, but I really didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. But as for the heated ceramic loungers.....laying on those with the full length windows facing the ocean watching the waves go by...that was the most delightful experience of my entire spa day.

Any idea what the rates are ??? Nothing yet on the HAL website. Do you need to buy a spa treatment to use the hydropool/loungers ???

My DD and I just did the spa/hydropool/loungers for one day...and I think it was about $40.00 each. We didn't have to do any other spa treatments. I had to get up early to go and make an appointment since it was the last sea day before breakfast, to make sure we got an appointment.

I don't care that the hydropool is smaller on some ships. But it is a problem when people in the small one yak the entire time they're in there while others are trying to enjoy some P&Q on the ceramic loungers. I won't pay for the thermal suite on a non-Vista ship again; it just wasn't the same relaxing experience as on the Vistas. YMMV.

$299 per week, I think! :eek: On X, their 'T-Pool', which is much larger, is free! ;)

Yes, We fell in love with the one on Celebrity's Summit. Even so, it was never crowded. Perhaps many never discovered it ? I think as HAL prices are a bit more $$$ overall, the T Pool should be free. JMO.

I don't care that the hydropool is smaller on some ships. But it is a problem when people in the small one yak the entire time they're in there while others are trying to enjoy some P&Q on the ceramic loungers. I won't pay for the thermal suite on a non-Vista ship again; it just wasn't the same relaxing experience as on the Vistas. YMMV.

I agree with you about the "yakers". There should be a sign posted that this is a quiet area. Otherwise, its always enjoyable. As far as price's go, check once you are onboard. Per day I think it is about $20.00 pp. I've always booked for the entire cruise and do not pay anything close to that.

I agree with you about the "yakers". There should be a sign posted that this is a quiet area. Otherwise, its always enjoyable. As far as price's go, check once you are onboard. Per day I think it is about $20.00 pp. I've always booked for the entire cruise and do not pay anything close to that.

From what I'm observed, and have heard confirmed on this board, you are almost always better off buying in after you board. Discounts abound. If you've ordered ahead, you have to go to the front desk for an adjustment to your account, and I feel as though I need a CPA certificate to make sense of my statement!

You will hear that only a limited number of spa memberships are available, but in our case it's not been an issue.

Thank you, monakayk, for the suggestion of the spa day. It hadn't occurred that passes could be purchased à la carte.

On the Westerdam recently, you had to buy the whole week. No daily option. Monakyk: what ship was that? I know one of the spa managers said they have, at times, offered specials like including the thermal suite in other treatments, but it was always at their discretion.

And I did NOT have to go to the desk for a correction of the amount, as I paid more by booking early by phone--I would have been disappointed to not get it! They automatically credited the account as if I had bought additional general on-board credit.

ITA with the above post about the HEATED ceramic loungers...they are the best. :D

Went on the Oosterdam and spent the entire last sea day doing the spa. The large hydro-pool was alright, but the jets were so powerful...I had to hang on to the metal bars so I wouldn't float off the underwater lounger. This was not that relaxing to me. I am not sure if the jets were just set too intense, but I really didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. But as for the heated ceramic loungers.....laying on those with the full length windows facing the ocean watching the waves go by...that was the most delightful experience of my entire spa day.

I am not a spa person -- but I certainly would not be happy with jets som powerful that I had to hang onto the metal bars.

Thanks for warning people.

KrazyKruisers: You don't have to push the button for jets, if you don't want them. It can then be still water, unless someone else enters and turns them on.

It was not I using the thermo pool -- it was another person here.

I felt bad for that person as they had to hang onto the metal bar.

I do not use the thermo pools on any ship.

But I did take all the pictures that you see here for people to see the difference between the R and S class ships and the Signature and Vista class ships.

Archived