Check in without a credit/debit card....

bobbycruiser

Ok, I have literally read about 40 different threads about checking in on embarkation day and how to pay. First I'll say that I DO have a debit card and a credit card, but I would much prefer to just pay with cash and avoid any lingering debits on my cards. So here is where the information that I am trying to find gets foggy....

If I pay cash for a 3 night Bahamas cruise on the Sky, how much would I need to leave as my deposit? And is it immediately returned upon disembarkation and if so, where and how will it be returned to me?

trust me, i hate asking repetitive questions on here, but I truly can not find a clear cut answer to this. thanx in advance to anyone who responds:)

Here's what I would do - since you do have a credit card, just use the cc to establish your shipboard account when you check in. Then, on the last night of the cruise, go to the reception desk and pay off your balance with cash.

Here's what I would do - since you do have a credit card, just use the cc to establish your shipboard account when you check in. Then, on the last night of the cruise, go to the reception desk and pay off your balance with cash.

This is what I had initially had planned to do, but I have read many stories of people using a credit/debit card to establish an account, and then after they had disembarked, the charge on the card had not been removed for a few days, even weeks. This would not usually be an issue for me, but after the cruise, I will be spending a week in South beach for memorial day weekend and would like to have every possible penny available to me. So I am trying to find out what the policies are in regard paying upfront with cash. I'd like to know how much cash I would need to put down for my specific cruise and when I would get it all back.

its hard to get a straight answer as to "how much cash" because NCL does not publish a hard policy on that. Count on it being at least the sum of your party's daily service charges for the cruise.

The idea of checking in with the credit card and then paying in cash on board seems best.

And please don't think I am trying to be rude or anything at all to you, I am just trying to get my facts straight. Lol. Being an anal planner gets tedious sometimes;)

its hard to get a straight answer as to "how much cash" because NCL does not publish a hard policy on that. Count on it being at least the sum of your party's daily service charges for the cruise.

The idea of checking in with the credit card and then paying in cash on board seems best.

Any idea what the rough estimate of my parties (myself and one other person) daily service charges would be for a 3 night cruise?

Any idea what the rough estimate of my parties (myself and one other person) daily service charges would be for a 3 night cruise?

The Daily Service Charge is $12pp/pd - so, if we're talking about 2 people total, that's 2 x $12 x 3 = $72.

is that per person or per night of the cruise? so im looking at 72 or 96 dollars worth of daily service charges. I would MUCH rather just pay that in cash. And then put the rest of whatever is necessary down with cash. Maybe I should just call them and ask directly. Haha

is that per person or per night of the cruise? so im looking at 72 or 96 dollars worth of daily service charges. I would MUCH rather just pay that in cash. And then put the rest of whatever is necessary down with cash. Maybe I should just call them and ask directly. Haha

It's $72 for your cruise. It's counted as 3 nights, not 4 days. To be perfectly clear, that's $72 total for both of you for the entire cruise.

It's $72 for your cruise. It's counted as 3 nights, not 4 days. To be perfectly clear, that's $72 total for both of you for the entire cruise.

Ok, so if I pay that $72 in cash upon embarkation, do I still need to put any cash down to establish an account?

Ok, so if I pay that $72 in cash upon embarkation, do I still need to put any cash down to establish an account?

Yes, based on what others have posted here on CC. I've never done it but I've always read that they will ask for more than just the DSC. Sorry I can't give you an exact figure.

Can you make ad-hoc payments against your credit card? If so then you could just transfer an amount to your card around the time you sail. That way you are effectively paying by cash, it's simple on ship, and you don't tie up credit on your card.

I think when I was on the Dawn, during the check in process at terminal I brought cash to put on my card for OBC. Had already pre paid gratuities and guestimated how much I thought I was likely to spend. I believe I settled up my bill the night before disembarking and I think I had like a $1.75 credit which they said they would mail to me. Told them to just keep it. LOL.

I always do it that way, so that I receive no credit card charge.

This is what I had initially had planned to do, but I have read many stories of people using a credit/debit card to establish an account, and then after they had disembarked, the charge on the card had not been removed for a few days, even weeks. This would not usually be an issue for me, but after the cruise, I will be spending a week in South beach for memorial day weekend and would like to have every possible penny available to me. So I am trying to find out what the policies are in regard paying upfront with cash. I'd like to know how much cash I would need to put down for my specific cruise and when I would get it all back.

I believe (based on info from Guest Services and signs on board) that only debit cards have a hold that must later be released. The credit card I gave when I checked in was not charged until the day I left the ship. If you use a credit card (not debit) and pay off your balance in the final night, your card shouldn't be charged. Good luck!

I think you get different answers from the people on the phone and the people on the ship.

Last year before we left, I spoke to my PCC and asked her about using my credit card for my on board account and then switching it to my debit card the last night. I was told no problem. Just go down to guest relations on the last night and have them switch it.

So upon check in at the terminal, I presented my credit card and off we went. Great Cruise. On the last night when the bill arrived in my room, we went down stairs and asked to switch it over. The gentlemen there said it was not a problem, but that it had already been charged to my account and could take 30 days to credit it back. So we left it on the card, flew home a couple days later and I called my credit card company and paid the bill in full.

My point is this. Yes they can do it and they will probably tell you it is no problem, but the people that run guest relations on the ship seem to know that your credit card will be tied up if you try it.

As far as cash on board, I have not tried it, but have read that they ask you for $100.00 per day per person as a deposit. I do not know if that is true or not, just something I have read

Best of luck

You could always do one of those "pre-paid" cards and then load it with however much cash you plan to spend on-board. If you plan on staying on the ship and simply drinking and figure you can do that on $400, then put $400 on that pre-paid card and use that when you check in. I don't think that the cruise line can deny you use of it.

That way once you get off, you don't have to "worry" about the cruise line charging any of your "normal" cards and you "lock" the cruise line into a specific amount which appears to be what you desire. One other thing though. You may want to change your photo on this site. Body shots of yourself are a bit "childish" for a cruise forum, don't you think? We don't really want to see what you look like with your shirt off. Save that for the cruise.

NCL suggests $100 per day, pp. So for 2 people on a 7 day cruise is $1400. That,to me, is rediculous. However, as I said, it is just a suggested amount. This was straight from NCL Rep, if you put cash and start to run low, they may call you down to put more $$$ on card.

Never understand why people feel the need to create extra chaos on board waiting in lines to pay accounts in cash.

Instead of waiting in line a paying off your $500 balance in cash for example, why don't you just pay $500 to your credit card before you leave for the cruise. Therefore you don't need to stand in any lines to pay your account in cash and don't need to carry around all that cash. Simple.

Never understand why people feel the need to create extra chaos on board waiting in lines to pay accounts in cash.

Instead of waiting in line a paying off your $500 balance in cash for example, why don't you just pay $500 to your credit card before you leave for the cruise. Therefore you don't need to stand in any lines to pay your account in cash and don't need to carry around all that cash. Simple.

I guess it just boils down to personal preference, plain and simple. I also can see why people don't want to use credit cards with all the fraud going on as well, but that is just 1 guess to one of the many reasons.

You could always do one of those "pre-paid" cards and then load it with however much cash you plan to spend on-board. If you plan on staying on the ship and simply drinking and figure you can do that on $400, then put $400 on that pre-paid card and use that when you check in. I don't think that the cruise line can deny you use of it.

Many pre-paid cards specifically indicate that they are not accepted on cruise ships (along with hotels and rental cars, just to name a few).

Archived