My Ruby Princess observations (4/15/12)

mrsfuzzmo

As to terminal, there is a port in Europe can not recall where but it is new,loads of glass, high tec kind of looking, coloured walk ways so you do not get lost, great big pot plants, big high quality pics of ships past and present, etc etc, and air con that works, ...

I assume you meant "potted plants", not "great big pot plants."

I enjoyed reading your review and appreciate the time you took to post it. Reviews always make me glad that there are so many different cruise lines to choose from! Some of the very things you didn't like on Princess are some of the things that I like most, like the decor reminding you of a rich man's study -- I love hanging out in a "rich man's study"!

I've not been on Carnival, but two of the things that keep me away from Carnival is the decor, it would make me want to gouge my eyes out, and the pool games sound a bit "rowdy" for my tastes.

I really agree with your assessment of the chicken salad and shrimp salad in the IC, kind of bland in my opinion. And the bathrooms are TINY!

Despite the little things, I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise!

Some of the very things you didn't like on Princess are some of the things that I like most, like the decor reminding you of a rich man's study -- I love hanging out in a "rich man's study"!

I agree with this one. I love that the Princess ships share more in common (decor-wise) with Cunard than Carnival.

I really agree with your assessment of the chicken salad and shrimp salad in the IC, kind of bland in my opinion.

Agree with this one as well. I love that there is so much diversity that lots of different people can find lots of different things to love. But I must say, some of the universal "likes" on this board (like the chicken salad, the black and blue onion soup, the regular onion soup and the Love Boat Dream) really fell flat for me. Didn't dislike any of them. But I'd never put them at the top of any list of things that a first-timer has to try. But as for the IC in general, no matter how much people sing its praises, for me anyway, it still outshines its stellar reputation. I know that it is great. But everyday, it seems to exceed my already high expectations!

I know a comment about an Animal Towel is kind of funny and it didn't make or break my cruise - I have cruised Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian and they all did it, so I just assumed Princess did too! and, our Cabin Steward did accomodate my wish and gave me an elephant one night, which I cherished.

I had just built up so much anticipation for this cruise, I was a little let down, and that is my fault, not Princess.

This cruise was a dream come true for me and what you get and make out of a cruise is up to each person individually. I had a great time - we were in D212 - a mini suite and our friends were in the cabin next door. Cabin was fantastic - tub in bathroom was super - lots of room for putting things away. Food was great - ship was great - everything was good!

You get out of it what you put in to it and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I got my moneys worth - people say I look so well rested and refreshed - I got over 1000 great pictures to prove it and overall, I would give this cruise an 9 out of 10. Not bad!!!

I'm curious, did you do anything in St Thomas? That was our favorite when we sailed two years ago. We sailed in May so the stores were in "low season." I bought lots of jewelry there. Another funny story. I wanted a ring with blue and white diamonds. I visited SO many jewelry stores that cruise. Anyway we went to Diamonds International and my husband had pegged his "fun meter" for jewelry shopping. He was tired of looking at jewelry and I was tired of hearing him wine and complain. Then out of no where an angel arrived (male sales attendent). He asked my husband if he would be interested in a cold beer and of course that made my husband's day. The angel took him to a back room that was quiet, cool, and the beer was plentiful. Atlast!! I was able to shop in peace and I found the most georgeous ring. It was way over my price range but I wanted it so bad I kept haggling. We finally reached the magic price and I got the ring of my dreams. The salesman took the ring back to the "men's beer room" and showed my husband the ring. By now my hubby had a few beers onboard and said, "that's beautiful. Do whatever it takes to make my wife happy." So when the salesman returned and told me i wanted to make my husband happy so I bought the earrings to match. We left there and went to another jewelry store so I could buy my mother some jewelry. While waiting for her necklace to be customized my husband starting getting antsy again. Couldn't believe it, that jewelry store had an angel too! They didn't have a back room but they brought out nice chairs for us to sit on. They kept the beer flowing to my husband which allowed me to shop a little. The salesman kept bringing various pieces to me to try on. My husband liked those pieces and kept saying, "get it; it's our anniversary." That saying quickly changed to, "Put it on the tab!" About three hours later we left there with my mom's necklace and some jewelry for me (3 diamond rings, necklace, and diamond tennis bracelet). While walking back to the ship my husband was in a good mood and saying how happy he was that I was able to get some jewelry. As we were strolling he said, "you got some really nice things; you must have spent $800." Funniest comment of the cruise (he still has no idea how much diamonds cost). :D

This is hysterical!!

Thanks I do too. I've had a lot of cruise experience and was just giving my own personal review.....isn't that what a review is? The great, the good the bad and the ugly. We didn't experience any ugly, and not really any bad, just a few things that were just "OK", you know?

We had an awesome trip. Just a little bored on Princess, but we are a very active crew. We don't sit and read, we like lots of stimulation and enjoy participating in a lot of stuff on a cruise. Lovely ship and crew, and would go on Princess again sometime if the itinerary suites us. I will recommend it to people that I know, who would like the experience.

Thanks For The Review!! I Really Want To Try The Ruby, But I Don't Want To Be Bored!!! I'm Torn Between Sailing Her, Or Carnivial Splendor!!! I Know What To Expect With Carnivial, I've Never Sailed With Princess!!

Not saying you are wrong, but I always find it odd how escargot is treated like some rare, seasonal commodity. It's not as if they have crew members scouring lemon groves in the Mediterranean to find them. They come farm-raised, in large cans. Not at all hard to source.

http://www.amazon.com/Consul-Escargots-Extra-Snails-28-Ounce/dp/B001GVIUKE

That's not what I was implying. Princess chose not to put it on the menu as an every day offering. With that, you must accept the fact that it may not be available EVERY day and not be disappointed if they don't have it made and available for you. Just saying.

That's not what I was implying. Princess chose not to put it on the menu as an every day offering. With that, you must accept the fact that it may not be available EVERY day and not be disappointed if they don't have it made and available for you. Just saying.

Sorry. I wasn't implying that you were implying anything. I was simply making the observation that Princess often treats escargot as some rationed commodity, available on one cruise, but not the next. And when it is available, it is kept sub rosa. I didn't mean to attribute any of this to you. Only to Princess.:)

Thanks for your review. It's always interesting to read people's reviews that share both their positive and negative experiences. It does show there is a cruise line for everyone.

I don't find Princess boring at all but I'm one who thought Carnival was tacky so it does go to show we all have our individual preferences. None right or wrong for someone else.

Nice to hear you did enjoy your cruise.

Just a note on the towel animals. Our room steward made them for my daughter every evening on the Ruby and the Grand. We never asked. She was so thrilled. So, I think some do it, some don't, or maybe just when there is child in the room?

Thanks so much for your little review mrsfuzzmo. You mentioned how you really enjoyed the sushi from Vines. Is this free like the International Cafe, or do you have to pay for it? Also, what was the selection?

The sushi was "free" with a purchase. I ordered a glass of wine and my husband got a coke. We BOTH got a plate of sushi with 6 different pieces on it. Each one was different, and since I'm not a sushi afficionado, I can't tell you what they were by name, but they were good! It also had a nice serving of wasabi and ginger along with soy sauce. You didn't get to choose what they served. All plates had the same 6 (I think) on them.

Thanks for your personal take on the Ruby and Princess, I certainly understand personal perferences, I feel the exact same way about the cruiseline with "singing waiters" that you seem to prefer, as you feel about Princess, I won't be back to that line, and you not to Princess.

Thankfully there's different cruiselines for different tastes.. Enjoy your future cruise's, and thanks again for your opinions

Srpilo

Just a note on the towel animals. Our room steward made them for my daughter every evening on the Ruby and the Grand. We never asked. She was so thrilled. So, I think some do it, some don't, or maybe just when there is child in the room?

Our room steward said they only do it for the cabins with children in them.... ) :

Archived