Currency

cole

We will be taking a cab from the train in Vancouver to the ship port and wonder if the cab driver accept US dollars, or if we need Canadian dollars. If we need Canadian, will there be an ATM at the train station so we can use our debit card and get Canadian $$$. Thanks for your help.

B. Cole

US dollars will be fine as a high percentage of retailers and services will accept them. You may however find the exchange rate not to your liking. Currently retailers are paying 90-95 cents cdn to the US dollar. ATM machine foreign exchange service fees may offset any advantages to getting Cdn dollars. You will get a better rate at your own bank but if it's only a couple of hundred dollars it may not be worth the hassle. The savings will only be about $5 for every $100 changed.

The bank in Canada is giving merchants CAD$0.9565 today for each USD$1.00, which about 2.5% to 3% below the standard exchange rate and doesn't include the merchants $2.00 to $2.50 per deposit and $0.75 for using a teller. You will be lucky if the taxi driver gives you CAD$0.90 for each USD$1.00

So if you pay in USD, expect to pay him about 10% than on the meter. You can likely take from an ATM, but the ATM fees might not offset the losses. Many taxis in Canada are equipped to take credit card (Capital One and USAA give the best exchange rates).

Right now the Canadian $$$ is about a penny and a half above par so my question is - I wonder if those businesses in the US who accept Canadian $$$ are giving us a bonus on our money.

Cheers

Dennis

Right now the Canadian $$$ is about a penny and a half above par so my question is - I wonder if those businesses in the US who accept Canadian $$$ are giving us a bonus on our money.

Cheers

Dennis

Yeah... right! They were paying 90c to 95c on the dollar. Not a hope of a bonus. Which might explain why we use our CC or bring US cash.

Thanks for the response - that was what I was trying to convey to those who want to use a non legal currency in Canada and then don't like the rate of exchange that they get.

Cheers

Dennis

Yeah... right! They were paying 90c to 95c on the dollar. Not a hope of a bonus. Which might explain why we use our CC or bring US cash.

I'm surprised you found any merchant in the US to take Canadian money at any exchange rate. I find it ironic and a bit embarassing that our businesses don't accept any foreign money, yet some US tourists expect our dollar to be good anywhere in the world. (This is not a snipe at the OP, who seems to be in Canada only in transit from the train to the ship, just a general observation)

I'm surprised you found any merchant in the US to take Canadian money at any exchange rate. I find it ironic and a bit embarassing that our businesses don't accept any foreign money, yet some US tourists expect our dollar to be good anywhere in the world. (This is not a snipe at the OP, who seems to be in Canada only in transit from the train to the ship, just a general observation)

Border cities often take C$ currency. I would hazard a guess that 50%+ of the businesses in Bellingham WA would take it, although you'll rarely get as good a deal as you would at a bank. I admit Bellingham is an edge case, given their media outlets (TV/Radio) often advertise Canadian services, and that 50-75% of the vehicles parked at the big mall (Bellis Fair) and the airport have Canadian license plates.

However the initial point that why would someone accept pieces of paper that aren't legal tender still holds. In order to accept US$ in Canada there are additional hoops to jump through, plus a high risk of dealing with counterfeit currency.

We will be taking a cab from the train in Vancouver to the ship port and wonder if the cab driver accept US dollars, or if we need Canadian dollars. If we need Canadian, will there be an ATM at the train station so we can use our debit card and get Canadian $$$. Thanks for your help.

Put this shoe on another foot, and as one might about arriving in New York: "I wonder if the cab driver would accept British pound notes?"

A New York cab driver might well toss you out of his cab - so why in the world do we Americans expect that our currency should be accepted wherever we travel?

B. Cole

If they do accept US$, don't be surprised if they hand you back Canadian change.

When we were in Canada last summer most places would accept US dollars but we got our change back in Canadian currency. The only exceptions were in the stores inside the cruise terminals there they would look to see if they had the available US currency for change.

B. Cole

Yes there is a ATM as well as a currency exchange in the Pacific Central Station where Amtrak arrives in Vancouver. However, as it sounds like you are going directly from the train to Canada Place and your ship it won't be necessary to obtain $CDN. You cabby will be quite happy to accept $US, your fare will be about $10/$12 so I would keep you notes small and that way you won't need to receive change which could well be in $CDN. Another thought would be to use a credit card but you may well incur a foreign transaction by your credit card company or bank.

When we make port stops in Canada, we have always asked taxi and merchants if they will accept U.S. $$. We have never been refused in a great many visits.

We always thank the driver or merchant for taking our U.S. $$ and don't fret the exchange rate is not very good. We are willing to pay a bit more for the convenience of not having to exchange to Canadian funds during our port time.

Archived