Volendam Alaska, forward or aft cabin?

Wookie01

Hi folks, hoping that some of you HAL experienced cruisers will be able to help a newbie out please?

We are planning a 7 day Alaska cruise on the Volendam (Vancouver-Vancouver via Glacier Bay) in June 2013 and are considering a balcony cabin on Deck 6 (verandah deck) in category BB. This means either up near the bow (6108 port or 6103 starboard) or back near the stern (6220, 22, 24 port or 6217, 19, 21 starboard)

My concern is that the area above the forward cabins is shown as a blank, white area just behind the bridge(deck 7). Does anybody know if there is a noise problem for the deck 6 cabins below this area?

How is it down near the stern on deck 6? Engine vibration/sound? Soot from the funnels?

I would really appreciate any words of wisdom from those that have experience with these cabins or similar please?

Greatly appreciate any help and advice that may be available :)

Graham

The area above 6108 is the officer's sleeping quarters -- you will not have any noise issues there.

We prefer to be on the port side -- most of the time the captains have the port side facing the glacier.

But you will also want to be out on deck when you get to the glacier.

Also the majority of the time the port side faces the towns.

JMO

If you like waves go forward otherwise back of ship Remember front of ship hits waves first Midship is better Northbound starboard is better opposite South bound Alaska is GORGEOUS if you like scenery Remember to get a Jacket in Ketchican GREAT bargain and very warm Bring hat,scarf and gloves Go see whales in Juneau,go to Yukon Go see Glaciers WE did Prince William Sound from Whittier

Bon Voyage WE loved our cruise

Michele

Hi folks, hoping that some of you HAL experienced cruisers will be able to help a newbie out please?

We are planning a 7 day Alaska cruise on the Volendam (Vancouver-Vancouver via Glacier Bay) in June 2013 and are considering a balcony cabin on Deck 6 (verandah deck) in category BB. This means either up near the bow (6108 port or 6103 starboard) or back near the stern (6220, 22, 24 port or 6217, 19, 21 starboard)

My concern is that the area above the forward cabins is shown as a blank, white area just behind the bridge(deck 7). Does anybody know if there is a noise problem for the deck 6 cabins below this area?

How is it down near the stern on deck 6? Engine vibration/sound? Soot from the funnels?

I would really appreciate any words of wisdom from those that have experience with these cabins or similar please?

Greatly appreciate any help and advice that may be available :)

Graham

I think I would be more comfortable being on the back of the ship then the front. Just for smoothness of ride.

Never experienced soot problems on balconies on side of ship. This only happens to balconies in aft cabins and there are none of these on the Volendam. My choice would be forward. However if you are prone to motion sickness the cabins in the stern would be better for you.

We did this cruise last year. It was awesome. Our room was on the Navigation Deck Port Side. We got upgraded from a Veranda Deck Balcony room that was mid-ship port side to a Navigation Deck Suite that was forward.. At first I didn't think we were going to be happy with being at the front of the ship but it wasn't rocky so we were happy. Hope we are upgrade to a suite again! Your going to love the itinerary. In Juneau we went on the whale watch and to Mendenhall Glacier trip, In Skagway we rented a car from Avis and drove the Yukon Highway using the Murray Guide. We saw 4 Bears. The sceanry was beautiful. In Ketchican we did the Deadliest Catch Boat Ride. We saw lot's of eagles on the boat ride. The day in Glacier Bay we great, we had a nice sunny day and were able to spend the whole day outside either on our balcony or top deck of the ship. We saw whales, eagles, puffin, sea otters, seals. Glacier Bay was the highlight of the cruise. Have a great time on your cruise, it was our second time to Alaska and can't wait to go back some year!

Thanks to everyone for your responses so far, very helpful!

Since posting I noticed that the theatre is directly below the forward cabins on deck 6, any noise problems associated with that please?

thanks,

Graham :)

Thanks to everyone for your advice and recommendations!

We have booked the 7 day Round Trip Vancouver on the Volendam sailing 5 June 2013, in one of the rearward port balcony cabins.

Only 13 months til we sail!! :D

Thanks to everyone for your advice and recommendations!

We have booked the 7 day Round Trip Vancouver on the Volendam sailing 5 June 2013, in one of the rearward port balcony cabins.

Only 13 months til we sail!! :D

Great!!

Now you have months to check out tours and plan on what you want to do in each of the ports.

Fore or aft would be fine on that cruise as the Inside Passage is really smooth sailing, unlike the trips out of Seattle where you risk heavy seas on your first and last nights. Personally, for an Alaska cruise I'd prefer a forward, port side cabin for the best views. On the Volendam there's a door at the end of the passageway on your deck that leads to a great port side viewing space while in the Tarcy Arm and Glacier Bay. It's also offers a little protection from the wind with easy access to the bow area or, climb up one level from there and you're right behind the Captain with great views too.

If you like waves go forward otherwise back of ship Remember front of ship hits waves first Midship is better Northbound starboard is better opposite South bound Alaska is GORGEOUS if you like scenery Remember to get a Jacket in Ketchican GREAT bargain and very warm Bring hat,scarf and gloves Go see whales in Juneau,go to Yukon Go see Glaciers WE did Prince William Sound from Whittier

Bon Voyage WE loved our cruise

Michele

Michele: Ketchikan is the LAST stop of the Volendam before she heads back to Vancouver. It is better to do this purchasing in Juneau or Skagway. The Juneau Shirt Factory has all of this and they have outlets in Juneau and Skagway.

Archived