The U.S. Navy and HAL....

sail7seas

The US Navy has a program, called a “Tiger Cruise” whereby sailors can invite a family member or friend aboard when traveling between US ports, generally when returning from a foreign deployment. My son invited me aboard the destroyer he was serving on , the DDG 86, the Shoup, A destroyer, 5 years ago, for a cruise from Hawaii to Everett Washington.

We sailed from Pearl Harbor, spent 8 days at sea…

I slept in a “rack” 24” wide, 24” high about 7’ long, 3 high with 50 or so of my best friends… I thought I might get bored… but that didn’t happen… we had almost universal access to the ship… only the electronic warfare room, the engine rooms and “shaft alley” were off limits, and by the second day we were welcome in the engine rooms when dressed appropriately.

I spent hours on the bridge, once while they did a man over board drill (Oscar) another time while approaching Everett. I only left the bridge that time when the pilot came aboard. They fired all the guns, they had a barbeque on the fan tail, They did a boarding drill, they held a movie night on the fan tail, they held a “damage control Olympics,” there were tours of everyplace, there was Bingo…

There were Dads, Moms, sisters, brothers, children... one sailor brought his 70+ year old neighbor, his extra grandpa...

I came away with an incredible respect for the Navy, its sailors and officers.

It was probably the best cruise I have ever been on…

By the way, we did have to pay for our food and such… less than $20.00 a day, to offset the costs of having civilians on board.

Thanks for sharing your great experience.

Loved it.

The US Navy has a program, called a “Tiger Cruise” whereby sailors can invite a family member or friend aboard when traveling between US ports, generally when returning from a foreign deployment. My son invited me aboard the destroyer he was serving on , the DDG 86, the Shoup, A destroyer, 5 years ago, for a cruise from Hawaii to Everett Washington.

We sailed from Pearl Harbor, spent 8 days at sea…

I slept in a “rack” 24” wide, 24” high about 7’ long, 3 high with 50 or so of my best friends… I thought I might get bored… but that didn’t happen… we had almost universal access to the ship… only the electronic warfare room, the engine rooms and “shaft alley” were off limits, and by the second day we were welcome in the engine rooms when dressed appropriately.

I spent hours on the bridge, once while they did a man over board drill (Oscar) another time while approaching Everett. I only left the bridge that time when the pilot came aboard. They fired all the guns, they had a barbeque on the fan tail, They did a boarding drill, they held a movie night on the fan tail, they held a “damage control Olympics,” there were tours of everyplace, there was Bingo…

There were Dads, Moms, sisters, brothers, children... one sailor brought his 70+ year old neighbor, his extra grandpa...

I came away with an incredible respect for the Navy, its sailors and officers.

It was probably the best cruise I have ever been on…

By the way, we did have to pay for our food and such… less than $20.00 a day, to offset the costs of having civilians on board.

Thank you for sharing this report of such a fantastic experience.

After Naval Flt. Trainng in Pensacola, I was attached to the Intrepid and did two tours in Vietnam. Those are memorable years and the Intrepid was a great attack carrier which had been converted from a CVS during the Vietnam Conflict.

My Dad is a WWII vet, Navy. He served on the USS Franklin with a great deal of pride. I was raised to have total respect for our military - and I have to tell you I had goosebumps watching those ships arrive in FLL for Fleet Week. All those handsome and dedicated young sailors, lined up in perfect unison along the railings. It truly brought tears to my eyes.

I agree, Donna,,,,,,,,

and most especially because we know we have an all volunteer military.

These wonderful young people were not drafted (as our generation was) but they chose to protect defend our country often at great pain and expense to themselves and their families.

How can we ever thank them enough?

I agree, Donna,,,,,,,,

These wonderful young people were not drafted (as our generation was) but they chose to protect defend our country often at great pain and expense to themselves and their families.

By walking up to them when we see them, whether at a restaurant, an airport or on the street, and saying, "Thank You so much!! I appreciate your service for my freedom and may the Good Lord keep ypu safe. And please pass on my thanks to all of your family for their sacrifices also:"

I say that to every man and woman I see in either a Military Uniform, a Veteran's Hat or a Law Enforcement Officer.

Their is no greater dedication in my eyes than a person serving to protect me and mine!!

Joanie

#34 Today, 11:42 AM

IRL_Joanie

5,000+ Club Join Date: Jul 2009

By..........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:

Originally Posted by sail7seas

I agree, Donna,,,,,,,,

IRL_Jaonie

By walking up to them when we see them, whether at a restaurant, an airport or on the street, and saying, "Thank You so much!! I appreciate your service for my freedom and may the Good Lord keep ypu safe. And please pass on my thanks to all of your family for their sacrifices also:"

I say that to every man and woman I see in either a Military Uniform, a Veteran's Hat or a Law Enforcement Officer.

Their is no greater dedication in my eyes than a person serving to protect me and mine!!

Joanie

IMO, That presumes a lot that I would never do. I feel it's invasive and presumptive and how do you know welcome at that moment?

I individually do not like that practice.

Perhaps it is a personal bias of many Viet Nam vets/families.

DH has never been thanked by anyone for his service. I hope he lives long enough for a 'grateful nation' to say thank you to the Vets of Viet Nam and Korea. I doubt we will ever hear it.

I think at this point, it would be disturbing.

I don't know how these soldier/sailors/airmen/guardsmen feel about that sort of 'in your face' approach.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO, That presumes a lot that I would never do. I feel it's invasive and presumptive and how do you know welcome at that moment?

I individually do not like that practice.

Perhaps it is a personal bias of many Viet Nam vets/families.

DH has never been thanked by anyone for his service. I hope he lives long enough for a 'grateful nation' to say thank you to the Vets of Viet Nam and Korea. I doubt we will ever hear it.

I think at this point, it would be disturbing.

I don't know how these soldier/sailors/airmen/guardsmen feel about that sort of 'in your face' approach.

I understand your thoughts and concerns, I really do. But let me share a couple of experiences I've had by saying thank you to both members of the military and Law Enforcement Officers.

When I was a 16 year old high school drop out, I did not run the streets. I volunteered at The California State Capital and got to assist with many of the state Representatives, Senators and even Govenor Reagan. But those were not my most cherished memories of that time. My most cherished memories of that time are 2 fold.

1st was when there was an Anti War rally going on at the base of the State Capital steps and I stood at the top yelling them down. I was yelling something to the effect that these men were giving their lives in order that these protestors could yell, rant and rave against the government. They were dieing for that freedom of speech!! I yelled myself hoarse, but I was proud of myself for standing up and defending the brave men and women who were giving everything for me to be able to do so. I swore then and there that I would always thank our service men and women, no matter what!!

2nd was when it was suggested to me by my state representative, Jessie Unruh, that I go to the USO and get a list of USOs around the world and write to some lonely GI's who'd love to hear from someone at home who supported them. I did and wrote to 3 USO's, one in Thailand (never heard back from there), one in Da Nang Vietnam (heard back nearly 4 years later (Not a nicve thank you from the North Vietnamese Government either *LOL*) and one from Seoul South Korea. the one in Seoul has been my husband for 41 and 1/2 years now!!

Fast forward to the present and I will happily walk up to a police officer when I see that they are not actively working, i.e., having dinner or as they are patrolling, and will thank them for protecting me and mine and ask them to remember that the majority of us do appreciate them very much.

Always, whether it is a Law Enforcement Officer or a member of the Military, past or present, they at first look surprised that someone would approach them to thank them, and then the grins that radiate from ear to ear on them is all the courage I need to make it worthwhile embarrassing my hubby every time I do it. Yes, my hubby is like you and many others, to embarrassed to say thank you, but he puts up with me doing it for him.

So for all our Vets, your wonderful hubby included, THANK YOU!!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AND SACRIFICE So that I can continue to enjoy Freedom!!!

God Bless you and your families and please know that there were some of us that Thanked you in the past, we were just not heard over the riff raff:(

Joanie

I'll add a little IMO to this exchange. Men like my Dad, who is about to turn 90, are nearly always thrilled to be singled out and thanked. WWII was a commitment that involved the entire nation, and the men and women who served were recognized all along the way - and then welcomed home as true heroes.

Not so much with Korea and even less so with Viet Nam. I know some delightful Viet Nam vets who would, truthfully, not ever like to think about it again. For those that I know personally, having that time brought up by a stranger would be not only inappropriate, but insensitive as well.

I know your heart is in the right place, Joanie, and we could all learn a bit from your patriotism ... but the truth is that for some people, things are better left unsaid.

m

I'll add a little IMO to this exchange. Men like my Dad, who is about to turn 90, are nearly always thrilled to be singled out and thanked. WWII was a commitment that involved the entire nation, and the men and women who served were recognized all along the way - and then welcomed home as true heroes.

Not so much with Korea and even less so with Viet Nam. I know some delightful Viet Nam vets who would, truthfully, not ever like to think about it again. For those that I know personally, having that time brought up by a stranger would be not only inappropriate, but insensitive as well.

I know your heart is in the right place, Joanie, and we could all learn a bit from your patriotism ... but the truth is that for some people, things are better left unsaid.

I think you may have missed part of post #34 where I said: "I say that to every man and woman I see in either a Military Uniform, a Veteran's Hat or a Law Enforcement Officer."

I do not walk up to all that appear to be Veterans, just those displaying that they served. If they are proud enough to wear a symbol of their service, I think they are proud enough to be thanked, even after all these years:)

Joanie

Archived