Genie Bras....

sail7seas

The Genie bras are terrible, especially those with the modesty patch. Those patches aren't anchored into the bra, and they move all over the place. One minute they're in the right spot and the next, they're under your armpit.

I took the modesty patch out of my bras.

You know..... :)

Bras are like shoes.

The ones that are comfortable for you, may not be for me.

I cannot wear Ferragamo shoes as their last hurts my feet. My girlfriend wears Ferragamos almost daily.

I like Wacoal bras and now these genie bras for travel.

Someone else likes Bali.

We all understand our bodies are all different.

We are strangers and unknown to eachother and have no idea what eachother's bodies look like and certainly only each of us knows what is comfortable for them.

I'm sorry to those who do not like these bras. If this thread has annoyed you, I am very sorry and will never bring up bras again. :o

Easy. Wear one you like. :)

Bras are like shoes.

The ones that are comfortable for you, may not be for me.

I cannot wear Ferragamo shoes as their last hurts my feet. My girlfriend wears Ferragamos almost daily.

I think just like any subject of this sort, it is better to give people an idea of your personal figure for this reason. This definitely would hold true with the Genie bra, are you a C cup or smaller or are you a D+? The size and amount of support required can make a huge difference. When I look at reviews for clothing on Coldwater Creek, it is often disclosed about height and chest size so that others get a better feel for how the item might fit on others. I can tell you that one dress I tried on definitely did not accommodate a larger bust and so I disclosed that to others so they would be aware.

I think just like any subject of this sort, it is better to give people an idea of your personal figure for this reason. This definitely would hold true with the Genie bra, are you a C cup or smaller or are you a D+? The size and amount of support required can make a huge difference. When I look at reviews for clothing on Coldwater Creek, it is often disclosed about height and chest size so that others get a better feel for how the item might fit on others. I can tell you that one dress I tried on definitely did not accommodate a larger bust and so I disclosed that to others so they would be aware.

Please don't take offense but I think that just a bit too private to post my bra size on a public forum. :eek:

I know there is no privacy left in the world but I do make small attempts to preserve just a tiny bit. :rolleyes:

Please don't take offense but I think that just a bit too private to post my bra size on a public forum. :eek:

I take no offense to it... however how can you expect people to value the opinion on a bra if they cannot see if you're full busted or not when you make your statement. That is where I think most of your conflict has come from. You already discussed something many consider a non public conversation by even talking about what bras you bought.

I've had underwire bras set off the metal detectors. I now wear a good, supportive sports bra when travelling. It might not look the best, but it's comfortable and I don't have to go through having security wand my chest :)

Machines can be set to different sensitivities. And a preponderance of metal can be an issue. I personally have never had an issue with an underwire bra (I wear them every day, including during plane travel) but I also remove all my jewelry before going through security. So typically the only metal on my body will be in my bra. Occasionally a zipper, depending on what I'm wearing.

I can understand if you had an issue, you don't want to deal with it again. But for many of us, no issue....

As a well-endowed woman, I might as well go braless - that Genie bra won't do anything to help support me or my girls:p

In the past 12 months I've flown out of MCO, EWR, PHL, ATL, OAK, MSY, MHT, PVD, ALB, BWI, DCA, SYR, PIT, LAS, YYZ, IND, SCE, ABE, ORD, and SEA. I'm probably forgetting one or two as well. Again, I've never, ever set off a metal detector or body scanner with my underwire bra or anything else--I don't wear much jewelry.

I've noticed a few people mention that underwire bras dig into them... if they are doing that then they probably aren't wearing the right size (either cup or band size). A properly fitted underwire bra will sit flush.

Exactly. But I'd add that just because the bra is the right size, it doesn't mean it's the right bra for your breasts. Different shaped breasts require different shapes of bras.

:) What I have taken from this thread is getting fun..... :o at least to me it is. :)

I am wearing the wrong size bra.... this from people I've never met. :)

I might be wearing the right size but the wrong shape cups in my bra.

Because underwire did not beep for some at the airport, it must not have happened to me.

I shouldn't expect sensible answers if I don't wish to post my bra size on a public message board. :eek:

Because the Genie bra is not comfortable for some, it must not be for me or anyone?

I think there were some other messages but they've gotten a bit muddled for me.

Thank you for the contributions, all of them.

I think it's been a great thread and I learned a lot..... I hope others did as well.

I am wearing the wrong size bra.... this from people I've never met. :)

I might be wearing the right size but the wrong shape cups in my bra.

Well since you won't tell us what size you wear we have to work with common sense facts. If it hurt or didn't sit comfortably then it wasn't properly fited. A large majority of women actually do wear the wrong size bra, statistics suggest almost 80%. I personally have experienced this myself, especially durring the many stages of losing 105 pounds. But as was also mentioned, it's also about shape/style of the bra as well. I can go into VS and try on 6 different 34D bras and get 6 very different fits based on how they push up, shape, cover skin or fasten. D cups used to be hard to find in cheaper stores so I would often do the "up one band size down one cup size trick" that we were so often taught in order to fit into the more commonly found Cs. When I was in an 36G I suffered through a 38F instead because Cacique didn't cary anything in a 36 band size (too small). Thank god I'm back into a size that I can buy at Victoria Secrets again.

Where o where did I say my bra hurt or was uncomfortable? :confused:

I think you may be quoting me but mixing up my messages with someone else.

The portion you quoted above does not indicate it was extracted from a larger message and, of course, without seeing the whole, the message is altered and meaning is different.

I usually try to insert <snip> when I quote only a portion of a whole message.

The way you posted it, you have taken out of context. ;)

Where o where did I say my bra hurt or was uncomfortable? :confused:

You were the one that said that people were telling you "your bra size was incorrect". The only comments made about incorrect bra size were based off of the comments of the underwire poking at people. If you are not having that problem and didn't say that then at no time was it ever suggested that you were wearing the wrong size. It would seem that you actually are the one misunderstanding what has been said in this post. Not everything was about you. Perhaps if you quote with snipets at what you are referring to next time your post will make more sense. :)

I think you may be quoting me but mixing up my messages with someone else.

I suspect the real problem is that you mixed up comments as being directed at you when they were not. Go back and read. The original statement that others agreed with was "I've noticed a few people mention that underwire bras dig into them... if they are doing that then they probably aren't wearing the right size (either cup or band size). A properly fitted underwire bra will sit flush. " Nothing else was discussed that I can see about anyone wearing the wrong size.

The portion you quoted above does not indicate it was extracted from a larger message and, of course, without seeing the whole, the message is altered and meaning is different.

The portion I extracted does not make what you said out of context. Nothing in your following statements indicated anything else about the subject I talked about.

I usually try to insert <snip> when I quote only a portion of a whole message.

The way you posted it, you have taken out of context. ;)

I would suggest if thoughts go together and support a previous statement that they all be in the same paragraph. I am not going to quote an entire post (especially from someone that always posts in bold) to cover one small comment they made. What is so out of context about the statement I addressed? What did you write that completely changes the meaning of what I quoted?

But if you really want me to cover the entire subject you covered... lets also discuss how you took another statement out of context.

I shouldn't expect sensible answers if I don't wish to post my bra size on a public message board.

Talking about your chest size has nothing to with sensible answers. It has to do with relevancy of the review/opinions in why they may be different from person to person and why to you this is a great bra to many us larger chested gals it is a bad option. No one ever told you that it was bad for you or that you wrong about being comfortable in it, only that it was bad for them and not for everyone. All I said was that if you aren't willing to mention your actual body composition then the review (not how you feel about it) becomes of little value to others since others cannot determine how this fit might apply to them personally.

If you have seen them advertised and thought they might work for you for getting through security at airport and/or ease comfort during active port excursions, they are available at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $19.99. The package contains one nude and one black.

I have been wearing a spanx bra of that sort for years whenever I fly as they have no underwire and no hooks at back to 'beep'. I once had a hard time in an airport because of my underwire bra and I don't want to have to deal with that again so these Genie bras are perfect.

The only other places I have seen them offered, you have to buy six of them. The are offered as two white, two nude and two black. I don't want that many and don't want any white ones and don't want to pay $60 plus shipping. :eek:

Just thought I'd mention it in case it interests someone else.

Thanks for the information, i have seen them on tv and was thinking of ordering some but i'll try the two pack before buying the six pack.:)

I love that style of bra thats all i wear most of the time & there are now loads with different names i first got mine last year ..i even use them under very low tops as cover up & i have lots of different colours so i feel more confident than nearly poping out of a low top :p

To take this thread a little further off topic :D -- Sail and a couple of others mentioned they wear Wacoal bras, and the comment was made that they are very expensive. Just thought I'd share that I get mine at Marshall's where typical "full" price is $12.99 and I've bought some on their clearance rack for as little as $7.99. I figure they are last year's styles but well, they are bras, who would know?

Just a note for any mastectomy women out there: according to women on my breast cancer board, the Genie bra works well to hold prostheses and are a lot more comfortable than the iron maiden mastectomy bras.

If I still had my external prostheses, I would give them a try.

I'm glad you posted this, lol. I've been wondering what real women think of these bras. I'm intrigued but have yet to buy one. Does it give you 'uni boob' as I like to call it?

YES!! Silver

ETA -- I am well endowed, usually wear Wacoal 36CC, and have not set off alarms at airports. I found the Genies comfortable, but did have to send the M's back for the L's. Wear only at home, for comfort and workouts.

Thanks for this thread , I have seen these advertised on TV and wondered about them. Do they only come in S M L XL. I am plus size and ware a 42DD , so perhaps this would not be a good fit for me, I am thinking of one as a sleep bra or comfort for long trips, so the band of the bra would not get uncomfortable . Thanks for the info. I am modest and don't ware low cut or tight things , would it work for me. I can go to Bed Bath and Beyond and also CVS out here.

Cori

Cori,

I'm happy this thread was helpful for you.

I think I saw boxes that were sized 1X, 2X and maybe 3X.... there definitely were plus sizes. I suggest you size up if in question. On the back of the box, there is sizing information. Hope they work out well for you.

I sized up 2 sizes and these just don't work for me. In my opinion,

they don't work well for full figured women.

• 1 month later...

My daughter is a DD and almost always sets off the alarms at the airport. Right after 9/11 they even tried to get her to remove her bra, I think they have calibrated things a bit better since.

I hate bras! I thought they would be a good choice for comfort. I'm (right now) 40 B, think they would work for me? I may even be in the wrong size and have thought about going to Dillard's to get fitted properly but am just a little squeamish about it. :o. I guess they got touch and move the girls around, right?

Gawk what a prude. :D

I love the genie style bra too. I'm not a big lady, and dont need a lot of support as I've always been thin. I'm travelling 30 hours on planes today, (and tomorrow) and made sure this is what I will be wearing. I also have a mole on my side, and normal bras sit right on it (the thicker bottom part of the bra) but because of genie bra doesn't end on this spot, this is so much better for me. I'm not sure they are necessarily easier to put on, but once on they are super comfy.

About the metal detectors, they are all set to different sensitivities. I can walk through one fine in one airport and on the same day, set off an alert in a different airport. I can imagine the metal of a bra setting one off. Just because it doesn't happen to you personally, doesn't mean it cant happen to someone else.

Also, I may not be particularly big, but I consider myself a REAL WOMAN! :( (god I hate that term!)

I love the genie style bra too. I'm not a big lady, and dont need a lot of support as I've always been thin. I'm travelling 30 hours on planes today, (and tomorrow) and made sure this is what I will be wearing. I also have a mole on my side, and normal bras sit right on it (the thicker bottom part of the bra) but because of genie bra doesn't end on this spot, this is so much better for me. I'm not sure they are necessarily easier to put on, but once on they are super comfy.

I don't get the thin comment... many people including myself are thin and have D or larger cup sizes. Being thin has no impact on what type of support you need from a bra. Being small chested is what determines not needing it.

Archived