Athens DIY need help

babywewe

If your primary intent is to visit the major first-time historic and shopping and restaurant type places in the tourist center of Athens AND you are healthy enough to walk much of the day, then yes... the sites are all within walking distance of each other. I've done it a few times. This would include the Acropolis/Parthenon, Agorra, New Acropolis Museum, Syntagma Square, The Plaka, etc. To Do It Yourself, you really just need to get some form of transportation from port into the central area. Most DIYers will probably walk or take a bus from the port terminal to the metro train which is about a 20 minute walk. Then it's a 15-20 minute train ride to one of several stops in the central area that you can choose to start your day from depending on the sequence of things you desire to see. DIY or private tour is a personal decision. I prefer DIY.

Babywewe,

If you decide to DIY, you might want to consider Rick Steve's walking tours. You can download the info on the internet and load on an I-pod, or mp3 player, Print out a walking tour map and you are ready to DIY. This is what we are doing, 4 different walking tour guides for Athens. Search the posts for Athens and you will find info on the metro stops and plan out your day. Best to get an early start. Metro maps available online to print the various Metro stops and lines of connections in Athens. Good Luck.

Im debating if we will take a private tour or if we should save the money ( for wine) and DIY Athens. Are most things together in Athens or spread out? Advice : to private tour or not to private tour?

Agree with many of the earlier posters that you can do much in Athens on your own.

For those who have not yet visited Greece, the good news is that the wonderful Plaka is right handy and next door to the famed Acropolis area. That makes things so much easier. On going up the hill, be careful as the stone steps can be slick in areas. And you will be looking up and forgetting to watch where and how you are stepping. It's well worth the effort getting there to the top. It is amazing history and architecture!! Also, we had a private guide to help us on this spectacular site. It's not cheap, but it was well worth it to know more on what you are seeing and why it is so important. Below are a few of my visual sample to get people excited about your upcoming visit.

The National Archaeological Museum in Athens is excellent, if you like that kind of thing. It is a little farther away and gives an excellent sample for the great Greek art. The new museum for the Acropolis is spectacular and right handy to the Plaka, etc. Lots to see and do in Athens for this one main, nearby area.

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 76,485 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On Acropolis hill with our very knowledgeable private guide we lined up at the site, she helped us appreciate all of the history and architectural details there at this famed site going back 700 years before Christ.:

OnAcrop.jpg

Outdoor theatre adjoining the Parthenon in Athens:

OutdoorTheatre.jpg

A small temple adjoining the Parthenon:

TempleOnAcrHill.jpg

Outdoor dining in the Plaka in the heart of Athens’ historic area. Lots of music and fun, shopping, music, plus good food. Don't miss this part of Athens!!:

PlakaDining.jpg

From the balcony of the AVA Hotel, here is a view of the Roman ruin called Hadrian's Arch. It is a monumental gateway resembling a Roman triumphal arch. It spanned an ancient road from the center of Athens, to the complex of structures on the eastern side of the city that included the Temple of Olympian Zeus. It has been proposed that the arch was built to celebrate the arrival of Roman Emperor Hadrian to honor his many benefactions to the city and the dedication occasion of a nearby temple complex in 131 or 132 AD.:

AthensHotelViewRomRuins.jpg

Nearby in the Plaka is this cute shop with a wide variety of statutes and other reproductions reflecting the great Greek artistic traditions. My wife is pictured with the shop ownders. They were very helpful and had a wide selection of options. We bought a couple of nice items that are in our home daily as a reminder of our wonderful visit to Greece.:

AthensRelicShopStatutes.jpg

Whatever way you get from the port to town ( and I prefer a cab, and not the metro) once you are there Athens is very easy to explore on your own. Get Rick Steves guide book and off you go!

4693918803_b64bfcb5cc_z.jpg

4694537656_61f6470ca7_z.jpg

4693896207_152f420ec5_z.jpg

4693894021_b9d3f4bc05_z.jpg

4694573870_6479086e43_z.jpg

Negotiate hard with the taxis as the port. Then use Rick Steves' excellent guide and you will have a great day. Take the time to just wander around in the Plaka area, especially some of the back streets that go up the hillside.

Negotiate hard with the taxis as the port. Then use Rick Steves' excellent guide and you will have a great day. Take the time to just wander around in the Plaka area, especially some of the back streets that go up the hillside.

Hi Maryann

Any idea for the negotiating, what it should cost for the taxi from the port to Athens? We are also wondering, should we try to negotiate a taxi for the day to wait, drive us around, and then back? Were you just referring to one way?

thanks. we will be cruising there this July.

Hi Maryann

Any idea for the negotiating, what it should cost for the taxi from the port to Athens? We are also wondering, should we try to negotiate a taxi for the day to wait, drive us around, and then back? Were you just referring to one way?

thanks. we will be cruising there this July.

No need to pay a taxi to wait; there are plenty in Athens around the tourist areas or, failing that, a hotel will be happy to call one for you.

It should cost around 20 euro for a one-way trip from Piraeus port to the area near the Acropolis/Plaka.

Find Andreas Kambas on here a.kambas@athenstaxi.gr (I think..better check it..don't have all my info with me right now)..he can pick you up at

the port take you to the Acropolis or wherever and drop you off and then pick you up later at Syntagma Square at the McDonalds and take you back to the ship. Quite reasonable and worth it to have him taking you back to the ship!

You can pretty much walk anyplace from there except the National Museum of Archaelogy. 4 of us did that last trip and am using him for our airport

pick up this time and our transfer to the ship another day.

Sherry

Hello. I live here, so don't flame me anyone. I just want to remind everyone that there is a lot of pickpocketing here in Athens, just like most major cities. I foolishly had my wallet stolen (fortunately, it was empty anyway). You need to be careful with backpacks in crowded areas.

On the plus side... Nearly everyone here speaks English to some level. You may be surprised. It is part of the culture here to learn English well.

Our friends paid 20 Euros and we paid 25. You don't need a taxi in Athens.

Yes there are pickpockets. Keep your money inside in hidden money belts or pockets. My husband almost lost his wallet on the metro because he had put it in an outside pocket. Never do that.

Has anyone done the hop on/hop off bus in Athens? We are only there for one day, have never been there before, and that looked like an easy way to get around and see as much as possible???? It's also fairly inexpensive about $25 per person.

I work in the worst area in Brooklyn ny. I can deal with pick pockets. That's childs play when you hear gun shots on your way home from work.

Sounds like a 20 euro taxi to and from is the way to go?

I have been emailing with Athinas, the manager, at Citysightseeing a Hop on Hop Off bus in Athens and she has been very helpful..even telling us some great places to eat that the locals like in the Plaka. That bus is 18EU.

Sherry

Archived