Do many people not tip?

Jand1968

This is our first cruise on Celebrity. On another loine we were given vouchers to present to the stewart , waiter,etc. We would add cash to the suggested amount if we felt they did more than average job. Do we get anything to geive to them? Bev

It is true, most UK TAs automatically add tips so Boos mum is correct. The difficulty on some trips is that the info is not always transferred correctly to the ship so if you are from the UK ALWAYS make sure you carry a copy of your final invoice with you so if issues do arise you can deal effectively with Guest Relations. Most sailings hand out little vouchers to put in envelopes with more cash (as we do for some) and thankyou notes. If you do not get your vouchers at least 2 nights before the end of the trip make sure you see4 Guest Relations.

As regards last night gaps - remember some of us go to the Speciality Restaurant last night. We always make sure others know that is what we are doing, and after the under breath mutterings from a less that pleasant gentleman on a cruise we took a few years ago (something like thats a new way to stiff the boys) we have always been very public in handing over our envelopes two nights before the end of the trip.

One thing to watch cautious Brits, we are often scared we do not tip and when presented with a chit to sign abroad, make doubly sure we have added a tip. Last cruise I discovred towards the end DH was adding a 15% tip on drinks bills not realising we were already paying +15%. Interesting, was the service any better - no not really - it was excellent but then we saw everyone in the Martini Bar and Cova get excellent service. Maybeof course they were making the same mistake as us :)

UKtog, on our first cruise on Constellation at Xmas, the first drink at the pool bar, my husband automatically added a couple of dollars on to the bill. The waiter then kindly pointed out that we didn't have to do that as 15% was added already - now he didn't have to do that and we could have been paying way over the top for the whole cruise - so well done to Christophe at the bar!!

Also, someone commented on Brits being "frugal" - I don't think that's the case, it's just our culture, we consider a tip to be a reward for a job well done - we don't expect to be paying someone's wages, just tipping in addition to their wages.

However, that said, we are well used to travelling in the US and know the score so wouldn't dream of "stiffing" the waiter or the stateroom attendant, or anyone else. They get at least the recommended amount from us.

We have 3 choices in the UK - we can pre-pay here and include it in the cost of the cruise, the TA will ask you if you want to do this when you book but it is not compulsory (not my choice personally, I would rather keep my money in the bank for another 3 months - and that IS being frugal):D , pay through the seapass account at the end of the cruise, and/or pay in cash. Not sure if option 1 is because the Brits are generally known not to tip, but it is possible I suppose - I don't always agree it's because they are tight, just not well enough informed.

Sue

We just returned from the Constellation and I will say the waiter, asst, room service were all excellent. I always tip in person that way I know the person received the tip however I do have one concern that really bothered me. We were asked to tip an asst housekeeper who we never saw and never knew what he or she did. Does anyone know about this and have you seen this person. I certainly believe in tipping for service but when they dont even bother to come around and introduce themselves I really have a problem with that. Anyone have any thoughts?

I also use my own prepared envelopes before I leave home and add as we see fit.

I sailed on Galaxy last year T/A May. I choose not to prepay my tips although I do know that the crew involved do receive these.

A few days into the cruise I received the letter asking did I want to prepay my tips. I did nothing as it seemed you were to let Customer Relations know if you the wanted to opt for this.

A few days later I received another letter asking me for a 2nd time. I then went C/R and spoke to one them about this.

I was told that they do this when the ships are in Europe but not in the Caribbean and when I asked why firstly the G/R staff was reluctant to give me an explanation. He eventually told me it was because tips were not being paid by some Guests. When pushed and at my question he told me that it was UK guests mainly. I did inform him again that I didn't wish to pay my tips and he produced some documentation that showed I already was having these tips added to my bill on a daily basis.

I am very sorry that some people choose to avoid paying or refuse to pay tips as I know how much the crew involved rely on these to make a decent living. On my last cruise I opted to have my tips charged to my account and I shall do the same on my T/A on Millennium in March.

Sue

A

Guest LoveMyBoxer

After a few cruises, we noticed that on the last night at dinner a lot of empty tables. DH thought it was because people were busy packing. However, I asked our waiter at the time, and he said that a lot of people do not show up on the last night because they don't want to tip. I could not believe that people would do something like that! On our next cruise we looked around again on the last night, and sure enough, a lot of empty tables. I just don't understand people who would not reward good service. When you go to a restaurant you leave a tip. Well these waiters are serving you, and should be rewarded for great service. Personally, I don't like the pre-paid tips, we prefer to leave more than what is recommended and give them case. However, it seems that if the cruise lines didn't do the auto-tip, these poor people wouldn't be getting anything. As it is, a lot of people who say they had a "horrid" time, want their auto-tips removed.

I was well into this thread before I realilzed how old it was. I was one of those hits on the old calculator site, which I find helpful. But I still have questions. My only previous cruise was on Costa, where all tips were "prepaid" and charged to your credit card, but we had the opportunity to increase that amount or give an extra cash tip to those we chose. I am on the Century for a 5 night cruise in April, in a Sky Suite with a butler. Will I have both a butler and a cabin steward? Certainly I would want to tip both. If I arrange to "prepay" standard (or recommended) tips when I board, will those charges go directly onto my credit card? Will I still get envelopes which I could use for additional cash tips? If we are able to make reservations in the Murano for dinner on the last night, will I have the envelope in time to give it to our Dining Room waiter on the fourth night? How do I find out the recommended/standard tip for the butler, which I does not automatically appear on the tip calculator? Somehow this seems much more complicated than it needs to be, or maybe it's just me. I would appreciate any guidance.

David

I was well into this thread before I realilzed how old it was. I was one of those hits on the old calculator site, which I find helpful. But I still have questions. My only previous cruise was on Costa, where all tips were "prepaid" and charged to your credit card, but we had the opportunity to increase that amount or give an extra cash tip to those we chose. I am on the Century for a 5 night cruise in April, in a Sky Suite with a butler. Will I have both a butler and a cabin steward? Certainly I would want to tip both. If I arrange to "prepay" standard (or recommended) tips when I board, will those charges go directly onto my credit card? Will I still get envelopes which I could use for additional cash tips? If we are able to make reservations in the Murano for dinner on the last night, will I have the envelope in time to give it to our Dining Room waiter on the fourth night? How do I find out the recommended/standard tip for the butler, which I does not automatically appear on the tip calculator? Somehow this seems much more complicated than it needs to be, or maybe it's just me. I would appreciate any guidance.

David

David:

Here are the recommended tips for your Celebrity and you will have both a Steward and a Butler who both should be tipped.

How much do I pay in gratuities?

Subject: Payments

It is customary to offer gratuities to staff members you feel have given you exceptional service and personal attention. Celebrity suggests the following guidelines for all guests:

Waiter: $3.50 p/day

Assistant Waiter: $2.00 p/day

Butler (suites only): $3.50 p/day

Assistant Maitre'd: $0.75 p/day

Stateroom Service: $3.50 p/day

Stateroom Service (ConciergeClass): $4.00

Assistant Chief Housekeeper: .75 p/day

I was well into this thread before I realilzed how old it was. I was one of those hits on the old calculator site, which I find helpful. But I still have questions. My only previous cruise was on Costa, where all tips were "prepaid" and charged to your credit card, but we had the opportunity to increase that amount or give an extra cash tip to those we chose.

Certainly I would want to tip both.

I would appreciate any guidance. --- there is always someone on CC who is happy to give guidance

David

I am on the Century for a 5 night cruise in April, in a Sky Suite with a butler. Will I have both a butler and a cabin steward? --- suites have both a cabin steward, his assistant, and a butler.

If I arrange to "prepay" standard (or recommended) tips when I board, will those charges go directly onto my credit card? --- they will go onto your sea pass card, which is like a credit card on board

Will I still get envelopes which I could use for additional cash tips? --- you may or may not, but you can go to guest relations and they willo give you envelopes

If we are able to make reservations in the Murano for dinner on the last night, will I have the envelope in time to give it to our Dining Room waiter on the fourth night? (yes, see above)

How do I find out the recommended/standard tip for the butler, which I does not automatically appear on the tip calculator? ---butler is the same as cabin steward, I think. Someone may correct me. they may be %.50 more per day.

Somehow this seems much more complicated than it needs to be, or maybe it's just me. --- it is not really complicated. Always ask if you need advice or help.

you will love Century. She is a beautiful ship. Happy sailing!

How do I find out the recommended/standard tip for the butler, which I does not automatically appear on the tip calculator?

Hi David,

Actually the calculator does show the Butler position, when you select the "Celebrity Suites" option. It will fill in the proper positions and amounts. The extra 50 cents that Ships R Great refers to is for the Stateroom Attendant in Concierge Class cabins, which may be selected by choosing "Celebrity CC" on the calculator.

Hope that helps!

Theron

Does any one know why they do not just include the tips into the price of the cruise?

The only cruise I have been on that has done this is on Seabourn Legend they should do it on every cruise than at least the crew will not get cheated.

Sure, the reason is because "7 Day Cruises starting at $599" looks a lot better in print than "7 Day Cruises starting at $669" :)

The revenue folks and the marketing folks are always dancing, with the end goal being to fill the ship at the highest possible price paid for each cabin. Tipping takes $10 per person per day out of the plain sight view of the customer.

The line does not "get" the tips, but they also aren't paying that same amount in salary to the tipped personnel.

The high end lines (like Seabourn) just add it in, which is one reason why their actual fares are higher.

Theron

Archived