Do many people not tip?

Jand1968

The Last Cruise I was on They denied entry to a person wearing nice clothes including a tie however no jacket. I for one always dress the way we wish but I do not care what other people wear and do not think that they should deny entry to anyone who is presentable even if they choose not to follow the dress code.

However he was clearly trying to follow it and they still did not let him in.

The part that upset me about the incident was the next night the last night of the cruise the man did not return with his family most likely upset from the previous evening.

So his waiter missed out on over $150.00 in tips have you ever seen anything like this before?

Do many people not tip?

There will always be a few cheapskates that do not tip. Ask any waiter or waitress. Showing up for dinner dressed inappropriately is disrespectful and three cheers for the maitre d for refusing entrance. There is no excuse although we've read soooooooooo many rationales here on the boards for ignoring the standard that is expected. We've also read of all the alternative dining choices and all the other cruiselines that have lower standards.

We had friends on the last Med cruise onboard Millennium, who had tablemates who told the Waiter that they had pre-paid their tip. The waiter told our friends that the waiters got to know exactly who had and hadn't pre paid beforehand.

The waiter told our friends that the waiters got to know exactly who had and hadn't pre paid beforehand.

So they got busted right then and there!!

HAHAHAHAHA!!

That's a good one Andy .... you made my morning!

:)

Its a fact that the waiters on Celebrity know exactley who prepaid

I don't know about this. I always prepay and usually, at least for the waiter and cabin steward and others with whom I have had a great deal of contact, presesnt a special gift besides.(Money, I don't fob off other stuff.)

Anyway, my cabin steward told me on the Century that they always receive the prepays but not always if you add extra to it. On this particular cruise, running short of cash, I had "overpaid" on the vouchers which X offers to you, but the amount was not specified.

So at this point, I do not really know. Maybe some people tell him he is getting more and are stiffing him. Or maybe he was conning me. I'd really like to know before my next trip.

love

joan

We will be new to Celebrity in November, so what exactly is "pre-paid" tips?

How do you handle tipping between the various dining venues? The stateroom looks pretty straightforward.

Are tips paid in cash? On the Card? So do I take a lot of cash?

On Princess I always leave the autotip in place, but then supplement special people with additional cash. How would I do this on Celebrity?

Thanks for any info..

We are too new to celebrity but depending on how you booked your cruise you are giving an option of adding your "suggested tip levels" to your cruise purchase price.

We normally like to tip based on service, so with that being said I always am sure to save at least $300 in cash and on the last night of the cruise we go down to the Pursers desk and get change then, head back to the stateroom to write a few thank you notes and stuff the envelopes.

We are debating on whether to pre pay tip suggestion and then tip over that amount to the room steward butler and waitstaff with the note.. realizing some may not be deserving of additional gratuities.

(its kind of tuff for me cause i live for customer service)

always

What I do with tipping is: before we leave home, I put the suggested cash tips in envelopes made out to the various people. I, then add cash to the envelopes of the people who offered extra service. For example, I doubled our room steward's tip because of all of the extra service he provided us. I've also added, substantially to our waiter/asst. matra'd/asst. waiters' tips because my husband is handicapped and they've cut up his food for him so I don't have to do it. It all depends who's offered extra service.

I've thought about putting our tips on the card, but they've given me personal service and I feel that I should personally hand them the tip with a personal thank you.

ccrain,

Prepaid tips are the same as autotip on Princess. You're asked to fill out a voucher and return it to guest relations if you want to prepay your tips. On the voucher there is space to add additional amounts over the reccomended amount for each of the people who is to receive a tip. I think your method of prepaying the reccomended amount and then giving any extra in cash is great--especailly after joramrose's post about people not getting the extra. I know that's what we'll be doing on our next cruise.

Rosemary

Judy. I'm with you. After all the fine personal service I've received, I don't look for the easy way out. I tip with cash, at the end of the cruise and with personal thanks.

Judy. I'm with you. After all the fine personal service I've received, I don't look for the easy way out. I tip with cash, at the end of the cruise and with personal thanks.
After one cruise with charged tips, I've reverted to this as well.

I'm still trying to sort out the procedure. Are folks here saying that the crew get feedback on the tip forms that fast? The deadline for returning them isn't until quite late in the cruise as I recall. I guess I'm surprised that they get quick feedback. From what I've heard on other threads here, they certainly don't get paid immediately when you charge the tips.

And what are we supposed to do with the little cards that come along with the form? Write in the amount we've tipped, and hand it to the crewmember in lieu of the cash?

As to "who tips", I think the only person on the Celebrity threads who openly claims not to tip is Flaggler.

We were on the April 1 sailing on the Galaxy out of Galveston. We prepaid our tips and I asked the gal at Guest Relations if the people had to wait a long time to get their tips if they are prepaid. She answered that the tips were posted immediately to the employee's account. I checked with our room steward the next day and he smiled and said that yes, our tip had been posted to his account and thanked me. Also, the dining room waiter let us know that he was aware of our prepaid tip.

In the 7 Celebrity cruises that we have taken we have never pre-tipped. We always take care of everybody with the envelopes on the last night. Maybe on this trip I will pre-tip the standard amount and see the people who have been exceptional at the end of the cruise for additional little bonuses.

You seem to have no choice now in the UK. The invoice comes with the tips already added. We have asked for ours to be removed. We like to tip personally.
The confusion is either clearing or becoming worse!

It sounds as though there are now three ways to handle tips on Celebrity. I was unaware of the true "pre-pay" where tips are handled even before the cruise. So far, we're only aware of the ability to write them up on the sign-and-sail card during the cruise.

For those saying that the crew knew of the tips early on and were being paid quickly, are you talking about this 3rd option of tipping PRIOR to the cruise, or on the forms provided DURING the cruise?

On the cruise where I used the card on the ship, we signed up for the standard amounts there, and then I provided envelopes in addition with some "over and above" effort tips. None said anything about being aware of the fact that the standard tip amount had already been handled via the form.

Archived