Do many people not tip?

Jand1968

On one of our cruises we asked one of the people who we would tip if it made a difference to them how they received the tips.

He told us that they prefer the tips in cash, because they have to wait for their tips till the "next" pay day, which occurs twice a month on the 15th and the last day of the month. The amount they receive is the same either way.

Astrid

Hope I did the quote thing right! TP, thanks for the calculator; I got my original numbers from the literature from Celebrity. Actually, we're not in a suite. It's a 12 night cruise in an oceanview room but don't know which one yet. After talking w/my hubby, we're going to bring our own envelopes w/the money already in there, so we don't have to worry about having enough cash. I'll give my daughter some crayons to draw on the envelopes as well.

That's amusing! The tip for 12 days in a regular cabin works out to be the same as 9 days in a suite! What a coincidence! :)

Theron

Not tipping the full amount is very poor form, unless you actually recieved bad service when you WERE in the dining room. The waiters are required to be prepared to serve you, a table is set for you, and must be cleared and reset for breakfast by your waiter whether you are there or not. In essence, you have a reservation for dinner. Please honor the spirit of that reservation.

We eat in the dining room so we tip suggested amount..but don't forget that people who use alternative dining also pay $2 pp there. Why should they tip twice?:confused:

I noticed that our waiter didn't set up dinner for an additional person on our table and 5th and 6th persons on the table next to us after the second night.

IMHO..if you are planning to use alternative dining for some dinners in addition of using dining room you should tip waiter..But if you won't be using DR at all tipping is not necessary.

Not showing up during the last night after eating in the DR all week is disgraceful!

On one of our cruises we asked one of the people who we would tip if it made a difference to them how they received the tips.

He told us that they prefer the tips in cash, because they have to wait for their tips till the "next" pay day, which occurs twice a month on the 15th and the last day of the month. The amount they receive is the same either way.

Astrid

Our butler last month on the Horizon said that the difference was that they wait 2 weeks to get any tip money that is charged against a passenger's SeaPass card (consistent with what you heard). He was too diplomatic to come out say that cash was preferred but you got the sense that cash was better simply because it arrives faster.

:) Hey, Tatka, I can see your point, but I would only add that were this a land-based restaurant, the waiter in the dining room would have at least an opportunity for someone to take your place (and hopefully tip him/her). Not possible on a ship, especially those set up like Celebrity. On Princess, it might be that, with Personal Choice, you could only tip those who actually serve you, but that's why Princess added in the tips automatically, because so many don't. Many might argue that they should just blend the tips in automatically to all cruise fares and pay the staff a decent wage, but the marketing dept. wants to make cruising seem as affordable as possible, so this isn't likely across the board.:rolleyes:

My view of the tips is that the "minimum suggested amounts" are part of their salary, and extraordinary service is rewarded with extra on top of that amount. And, I suppose, they should be "docked" for poor service. But the waiters in the dining room are like "staff on retainer"- you pay for them to be available as well as for their actual work. But that's just me, perhaps. I'm sure many staff depend on the law of averages that some will tip and some won't, and some will tip extra. There are lots of ways that I'm careful with money, but that isn't one of them.:)

Give 'em the cash--and put it into a nice notecard with a Thank You message handwritten inside. Those envelopes are so cheesy...

I also recognize people BY NAME (i.e. 'our cabin steward Santith') when filling out the obligatory comment cards at the end of the cruise. This is read by the higher-ups and helps to get staff promoted.

Yes, I hate tipping--I think it should be built into the price of the cruise/meal/service, whatever. But since I cannot change it, and it is a part of real life, I do it.

On our last cruise I was sick (confined to cabin) for the last three days of the cruise, and I wouldn't THINK of lowering my tip amounts--this is someone's livelihood.

• 1 year later...

ccrain - We thoroughly enjoyed your review of your B2B on the Island Princess. Since we don't have your email address, I hope you see this post. Please tell us more about the $1/cup brewed coffee on the Island. Do they charge that during meals? Like breakfast at the Horizon Court? Dinner in the dining rooms? Room service? If the answer is "Yes," I'm taking my little coffeepot with us. :( Thanks in advance for your response.

Tom

ccrain - We thoroughly enjoyed your review of your B2B on the Island Princess. Since we don't have your email address, I hope you see this post. Please tell us more about the $1/cup brewed coffee on the Island. Do they charge that during meals? Like breakfast at the Horizon Court? Dinner in the dining rooms? Room service? If the answer is "Yes," I'm taking my little coffeepot with us. :( Thanks in advance for your response.

Tom

All brewed coffee at the Patissiere is now charged for. That was one of the few places you could even find brewed coffee. They have now added brewed coffee to the bar in Horizon Court, along with the espresso machine, where you also get charged for it.

As far as dinner in the dining room, they still serve the syrup based stuff, but it is better than the Horizon court stuff for some reason. You can order, at a price, cappacinos, so I'm sure you could order brewed coffee as well.

Room service is still the syrup as far as I know. The bottom line is that you will probably have to pay for any brewed coffee you find or order.

Judy took the tea bag coffees. She couldn't stand the syrup in the HC, but it was ok at dinner time! Go figure...

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

There are lists of people who opt out of the auto tipping program (have tips removed from their shipboard account) and these lists are distributed to the dining room and housekeeping departments on a daily basis.

NCL tracked the accounts, servers and steward of people who opted out of the auto tipping programs and claimed that they wanted to tip in person. The majority of these people never gave a tip to any of their service staff, i.e. "they stiffed them."

http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/nf40726.html

Almost all of the service staff I have spoke with have said that the stiff rate has gone down considerably since tipping has been put on the shipboard accounts and the majority of staff like it. Has it resulted in lesser quality of service? The jury is out on that. Is it auto tipping or is it cutbacks from the main office and the influx of newbuilds and the mass number of new staff that have come onboard in a very short time? Or is it a combination? Or is there really a loss of quality or an actual change in the demographic? Too many questions and not enough answers. I personally think it's a combination of all of them.

Take care,

Mike

Some newbies don't realize that hotel service ship crewman for all practical purposes make ZERO salary (literally like $50 per month or less)! Some may initially be tip-cheap due to misperception that these folks are making a living wage otherwise. This isn't readily apparent or explained by the lines (after all the Captain and officers are salaried - isn't everyone? [NO!])

Once cruisers understand the compensation system, most tip appropriately. If - understanding the compensation system - one fails to tip altogether or tips pittance... Well - IMHO - there's a special place in Davy Jones locker for those folks. :(

That said, our European cruisemates across the pond have a reputation for being... more frugal (being diplomatic) in tipping. This is cultural and socio-economic. As many Europeans point out, restaurant staff there make a LIVING WAGE on salary and aren't reduced to tip dependancy. They would point to that as part of why service is (generally speaking) far superior in europe. Tipping more than 10% on the continent in a restaurent is atypical and 15-18% is unheard of most places... As a result, I'd encourage our European cruisemates to handle it as they see fit - but remember you're not working on the same system as home; that goes of course for the north american tightwad whose rationale is less rational.

What do you bet though, that a disproportionate number of those that stiff the crew also fail to dress to code? (My tip money is on dual diagnosed degeneracy! :mad:)

On cruises within Europe many companies incl. Celebrity do the tipping already on the invoice through their general sales-agent/travelagent while paying for the cruise.

For cruises outside Europe usual there is a leaflet telling how much to cruise.

Of course tipping must be done. The crew works real hard, makes long hours and is worth it.

In the UK Celebrity give you the option of pre-paying your tips with your cruise. I do this as it saves me having to change GBP into USD and carrying a large amount of cash around from when I leave the UK to the last night of my cruise. I generally live off my credit card which is more convenient anyway. I have never encountered any problems staff wise by pre paying my tips. I still would tip extra if a particular person warranted it. I would agree that in the UK the maximum I would tip is 10% as the staff are all paid a wage, even if it is the minimum wage as laid down by our Government.

Some newbies don't realize that hotel service ship crewman for all practical purposes make ZERO salary (literally like $50 per month or less)! Some may initially be tip-cheap due to misperception that these folks are making a living wage otherwise. This isn't readily apparent or explained by the lines (after all the Captain and officers are salaried - isn't everyone? [NO!])

This is one of the most important points to be made, which is why I always try to say that "tip" is absolutely the wrong word to be used for what happens (or is supposed to happen) in these cases on a cruise ship!

Theron

You can take this for what its worth from a seasoned cruiser who has great on board experiences each time I travel.

The 2 most imporant people to tip are

the Asst Maitre D

The Asst Housekeeper

Everyone that "serves you" on the ship works for either one of them except the bar waiters. The assistants make all the decisions, not the room stewards, Asst Stewards, Waiters or Asst waiters. These individuals go to their bosses (the assistants) with all requests and complaints. If the assistants say YES, its a done deal. They work behind the scenes to make things happen for their guests.

The assistants are also stripers and have officer status and some authority.

So, I personally would never neglect any of the assistants on the ship that had any control over the outcome of my vacation.

There are a few little secrets that can really make things happen for you on a cruise. If I tell all my secrets I d be shooting myself in the foot.. LOL

Don

Just off the Constellation a few days ago.

Our Waiter told us that clearly 20% of those he serves do not leave a tip. In addition, there are some who leave $15 - $25. total for the cruise.

And...this is something that I heard from another passenger on this cruise. She received her information from another passenger who is from England. So....I do not know how real the information is.

Automatic tipping is paid in advance (for people from England), with their cruise cost, because they are known to not tip at all.

I only commented, because I read something similar on an earlier post in this thread.

Again, just something that I heard.

I would love to hear some feedback from folks from England.

We cruised with a group on Millie last year. We did not know they had pre-tipped so we had the Purser add tips to our SeaPass. That evening our room steward told us she had already been tipped through the group. We had theSeaPass tips removed and gave everyone extra the lat night. I have two points to make:

1. Our steward knew immediately that she had been pre-tipped by us

2. She told us---she could have kept her mouth shut and been doubled tipped!!!!

There are often empty chairs in the dining room the last night on a cruise. It is a shame. The wait staff work so hard, sometimes nore than the 12 hours a day mentioned above.

They are away from their loved ones six months at a time. One cruise, our asst. waiter was absent. We asked where he was. the grandfather that raised him had died that day. The next night he was back on duty with a smile on his face.

We were cruising when the sunami hit. Many of the crew were from that area. They kept right on working, presenting a happy face to everyone, tho they had to be distrought (sp.?)

Davy John's locker is too good for non-tippers. Maybe DJ's wc?.

Not everbody who misses the last dinner are dead beats.

We missed our last dinner on a cruise but we made sure to find all of the wonderful crew who had served us to give them their tips.

If I should choose to have the tips added to my Onboard Account and still go to the dining room but do not hand over an envelope are you going to label me as a Dead Beat as well?

I prefer not to judge others by what I see. If I do not know the whole story it is wrong for me to make assumptions (OK so I do have a good long hard think about it and may even discuss it with DH but I am always mindful that I do not have all of the facts(I am only human:o )).

The staff, for the most part, deserve their tips and need them to make a decent living. Tipping is part of the overall cost of the Cruise. All Cruisers have been given the opportunity to be aware of it long before sail date and should budget for it.

If a staff member has not met your standards you have every right to reduce their tip. Additionally if you have received service over and above the call of duty you have every right to increase their tip accordingly.

Do many people not tip? I really do not know. I do know that people on a cruise ship are just like people in any community. There are good and bad, rich and poor, cultured and uncultured, generous and cheap etc... Additionally, some people get a kick out of being generous and others get a kick out of "saving money" in this way.

I can assure you that any good business will know the percentages fairly accurately and will allow for them when the "Suggested Tip" is calculated. Is Celebrity in this catagory? - Probably.

Happy Travels

Cindy

Why auto tipping began in the first place?

It would be much easier, from an accounting point of view, if the ship's accounting department did nothave to bother with the paperwork, etc.

It began because of cheapskates that come up with excuses to not pay!!!!

Cruise lines could not afford to keep losing support staff! They had a major retention problem becuase crew were quitting after not recieving the projected income they had anticipated!!!!

As more and more ships entered the marketplace, and those ships got bigger, pricing took downward pressure. This meant to fill most ships the cruise line was targeting an audience that they had not attempted to lure in the past....the lower price passenger. The unintended consequences have been CHEAP passengers!

CHEAP not only in tipping but in onboard spending. Thus increases in the price of drinks, specialty coffees, etc.

The only way to give crew some assurance of a minimum income was to create auto tipping. To make folks go face to face with a staff member to remove a gratuity...note the way NCL will quiry a passenger that comes down to remove auto tipping.

Today, crew still get stiffed. Why? "Because we only ate in the dining room half the time" "because we picked up our cabin everyday ourselves" "because we did not like our table mates" : I don't tip because I think the cruise line keeps the money and doesn't give it to the crew" Blah, blah, Blah...any litany of excuses instead of being honest: "We are cheap SOB's and lack good manners"

I offer a recommendation to those that choose to not tip:

Rent an RV next time or stay home.

Some VERY wealthy people are also guilty of not tipping!!

Some people who cruise on a VERY tight budget are the best tippers (they may very well be in the service industry and understand the need for tipping well).

It is not an issue of the size of a person's income.

Happy Travels

Cindy

On the long ride to Ensenada on the May Mercury cruise I befriended an Australian Couple who told me it was mandatory that they have their tip included on the ship board account.

They told me they never tip in australia, in some countries the waiters get a nice wage and dont take tips but this couple realizes the cruise staff depends on tips and they had no problem with the mandatory tipping.

Again, if you plan to stiff your wait staff, beware if you cruise again and see them,, (and Murphys law will make that happen), they never forget those who stchup (yiddish) them!!

For a few hundred bucks do you want to spoil you next cruise? Not me!!

Don

It is true, most UK TAs automatically add tips so Boos mum is correct. The difficulty on some trips is that the info is not always transferred correctly to the ship so if you are from the UK ALWAYS make sure you carry a copy of your final invoice with you so if issues do arise you can deal effectively with Guest Relations. Most sailings hand out little vouchers to put in envelopes with more cash (as we do for some) and thankyou notes. If you do not get your vouchers at least 2 nights before the end of the trip make sure you see4 Guest Relations.

As regards last night gaps - remember some of us go to the Speciality Restaurant last night. We always make sure others know that is what we are doing, and after the under breath mutterings from a less that pleasant gentleman on a cruise we took a few years ago (something like thats a new way to stiff the boys) we have always been very public in handing over our envelopes two nights before the end of the trip.

One thing to watch cautious Brits, we are often scared we do not tip and when presented with a chit to sign abroad, make doubly sure we have added a tip. Last cruise I discovred towards the end DH was adding a 15% tip on drinks bills not realising we were already paying +15%. Interesting, was the service any better - no not really - it was excellent but then we saw everyone in the Martini Bar and Cova get excellent service. Maybeof course they were making the same mistake as us :)

• 6 months later...

Archived