Do many people not tip?

Jand1968

Since there are some new folks on this thread, I'll give a little plug for the tip calculator. This will help you to prepare your envelopes for tipping, even giving you the numbers of different bill denominations you will need to have for proper "stuffing". :) Helps you get it right with just one trip to the pursers desk!

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

Theron

Yes, so add even more confusion to the mix. I didn't pay much attention to this the other day but after looking through this thread:

I was looking at some pricing on-line for Celebrity and there was an option: did I want to pre-pay the tips NOW, so the cruise, the tax, the port fees, the excursions ANd the tips can now ALL go on the initial booking. I did look at several sites so not sure if this was just Celebrity, just one of the on-line TA's or both.

For service we add some cash to the auto tips when sailing Princess. We take cash for tips while sailing Celebrity. After a week or more of interactions with the staff, giving that envelope the last night is nice for us, and them. I still don't get the ass't head housekeeper on X.......never even saw her/him?

Tipping staff in the cruise industry has always been the custom. I was aware of it long before I went on a cruise, probably long before I was OLD enough to go on a cruise. I think anyone who comes up with their own justification for not tipping, is just plain cheap.

Since there are some new folks on this thread, I'll give a little plug for the tip calculator. This will help you to prepare your envelopes for tipping, even giving you the numbers of different bill denominations you will need to have for proper "stuffing". :) Helps you get it right with just one trip to the pursers desk!

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

Theron

Thats great. I now know my tips for the room will come to at least $286

Does Celebrity give you little vouchers to put in the envelopes if you pre pay your tips. Rccl does this. It allows you to give a little note and not look like your stiffing the people.
Hmm... are those the things we're getting with the on-board form? I never saw anything that described what one might do with them. Then again, if they really know as soon as some say that you've paid on the form, they already know they aren't being stiffed. Time for some additional help here.

It looks like we can have the tips pre-paid by some form or fashion on-board and then provide additional tips for extra help - or carry large amounts of cash.

I seem to remember reading on one board about the M-Class dinner venues, other than main dining, that also have additional "tips" ($2?). Is that the case and how are those handled?

Also, for those of you that hand out cash tips, how do you find the "asst chief housekeeper"?

Does Celebrity give you little vouchers to put in the envelopes if you pre pay your tips. Rccl does this. It allows you to give a little note and not look like your stiffing the people.

Yes, we were given small cards to give to the various staff so that we could hand it to them together with the extra tips we felt were appropriate.

Phil

It looks like we can have the tips pre-paid by some form or fashion on-board and then provide additional tips for extra help - or carry large amounts of cash.

I seem to remember reading on one board about the M-Class dinner venues, other than main dining, that also have additional "tips" ($2?). Is that the case and how are those handled?

Also, for those of you that hand out cash tips, how do you find the "asst chief housekeeper"?

If you are in the "specialty restaurant", your extra cost covers the tip. If you choose the "casual dining" venue on one or more nights, that's where the additional $2 comes into play. We tipped in cash. I don't recall whether there was an option to add this to the cabin bill, but I can't imagine that this wasn't possible as well.

As to your latter question, that is given to your cabin steward for "forwarding".

Phil,

Its on the Celebrity invoice to my TA.

Shows as Service Charge £141.12 at the then exchange rate approx $252, which is what Theron's calculator shows. At todays rate it would be £131.

My TA questioned this and was told it was pre paid gratuities at the reccomended rates. I have asked for these to be removed and I will pay the tips myself.

As you know most of the uk cruise companies now include the tips in with the price of the cruise.

I was told by Celebrity via my TA that they intend to automatically add the tip to all European clients.

Andy

As you know most of the uk cruise companies now include the tips in with the price of the cruise.

Andy, I must admit that I wasn't aware of this and the next cruise I book I'll check it as I would like to make the decision myself when I get on board. For us the pre-tipping worked well and I'd probably do it again.

Phil

Andy is correct - we were told we could not have it removed as we were UK passengers - same as X will not talk direct to us for anything re our last cruise or next one (Phil - that includes the overcharging saga that still rumbers on) - we were advised it is their policy in the uK all contact has to be through the TA .

Returning to the tip question - certainly our butler knew of the tip and thanked us - and was quite emotional when we handed him an envelope with some extra. The converse, from the day we knew the staff knew of our tips, the cabin attendant ceased to anything useful - wonder why!!

UKtog and Phil,

We booke last September for a cat 6 outside for August 2005 at £1450 each. Recently a 2c came up showing at todays price at £50 more than a 6. We called into our TA, who asked Celebrity if we could exchange cabins. Yes at an extra £700 each was the answer, the difference between what we paid in September and todays price. So much for booking early.

We are quickly going off Celebrity. They are turning into money grabbers.

Trouble is Joey, it seems like we now have no choice in the UK. Will watch and see if there is any evidence of complacency in September -as I say it was only one person and she was pretty poor right from the beginning

UKtog and Phil,

We booke last September for a cat 6 outside for August 2005 at £1450 each. Recently a 2c came up showing at todays price at £50 more than a 6. We called into our TA, who asked Celebrity if we could exchange cabins. Yes at an extra £700 each was the answer, the difference between what we paid in September and todays price. So much for booking early.

We had similar experience - certainly dont expect any favours re pricing from UK office. We offered to pay up to $1000 to upgrade from a sky suite to a Royal Suite for our April trip when we knew they had vacancies 2 days before leaving- no they said we would have to pay £2250 - so we did not (and we were very happy in the Sky) however, were gutted to find that occupants of the Royal Suite had been upgraded for free at the pier when they asked. We were told UK had not passed our "offer" over to Miami.

I have written to Captains club and the only reply I get is to go through my TA. I have told them over and over again that I have and still get the same answer. talk about banging your head on a brick wall.

They seem to have a standard greeting at the end of their mails,

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact the Captain's Club department and we will be more than happy to help.

Mr. xxxxxx, discover a complete cruise experience with a taste of luxury on every Celebrity cruise.

I feel like putting in Capitals 'I HAVE!!!!!!'

Can't wait to get on board and give a real person some good old Yorkshire stick.

The ship, staff and service are fantastic. The customer Service stinks.

I believe pre-tipping (with your cruise payment) is required if you're with a group that has assigned tables - tables assigned to the group instead of each cabin - and members of the group switch tables each night. I can see where that would be necessary since you wouldn't have the same waiter every night.

We went with a group of 30 and since hubby and I were sort of the unofficial group cruise directors (since we have cruised with Celebrity so many times), we told the group leader to have the tables assigned to each couple rather than the group, so that all the first time Celebrity cruisers (26 out of the 30) would get a real Celebrity dining experience where the waiter and asst. waiter get to know each diner at the table and have their usual drinks, bread or extra breadsticks, etc. ready.

We had similar experience - certainly dont expect any favours re pricing from UK office. We offered to pay up to $1000 to upgrade from a sky suite to a Royal Suite for our April trip when we knew they had vacancies 2 days before leaving- no they said we would have to pay £2250 - so we did not (and we were very happy in the Sky) however, were gutted to find that occupants of the Royal Suite had been upgraded for free at the pier when they asked. We were told UK had not passed our "offer" over to Miami.

Well I uk has always been ahead of the curve reguarding customer interaction service.. but i could be wrong.. I mean u dont tip a neightborhood pubs either do u?

We perfer to tip it person and plan on the suggested tips prior to sailing. We then adjust the suggested amount of the tip based on service provided by the individuals. Because we order wine with each meal we also plan on a tip to the sommelier if his/her service has been exceptional.

UKtog and Phil,

Andy, I'm not sure I wholly agree with you here, although can see where you are coming from. Booking early has locked you into a lower price for your original cabin and you are paying £650 each less than you would now, which must make you feel slightly better;) We have booked cabins both quite late and very early, more latterly early. On the last three cruises booked I have seen the prices gradually go up an up prior to sail date. Our Hawaii cruise aft CC cabin doubled in price before going to unavailable. It was the same for Galaxy last year.

I guess what I am saying is that I book the category at the price I feel happy with at the time and leave it at that, because I know Celebrity will treat any change of cabin request as a new booking and charge accordingly. It seems unfair, but conversely they would also lower the price if it had dropped. At the moment I am happy to book early on popular sailings.

Sorry, a bit ot from tipping.:o

uktog, post and let us know how you eventually get on with Customer Service (oxymoron).

Phil

Archived