What size is cruise pass?

So its good to get a water proof container for when in port at beaches?

We were thinking it would be safer around our neck than on the beach chair. Wouldn't want to be out in the water "watching" someone walk away with it.

Plan on putting in it copy of passport, sea/sail pass, and is a copy of drivers license ok or you have to have original?

All advice welcomed as we are cruiser newbies

same as they said, but it's not recommended that you take your passport off the ship. Usually just a photocopy, but not the passport itself. Bring your DL as well, use that as ID.

If you miss the ship you can not fly home with a photo copy of your passport... I always bring my passport with me on shore.

The purpose of a passport is to allow you to enter and exit a foreign country and to re-enter the US from a foreign country. If something happens to you in a foreign country and/ or you miss the ship, try explaining to the local customs officials that it will be ok to let you fly to the US or to the next port with that photocopy. I do not mean to sound rude, but if you are not going to take the passport off the boat, then why buy it in the first place? You can board the boat with just a birth certificate and photo id. You absolutely will not be able to fly to or from a foreign country without the passport. The boat is not going to deliver it to you in the hospital if you are injured, and you could be in for a long wait for some help getting a new one from the nearest consulate.

For us, it depends on the port and what we plan to do. A port like Belize and you are going a fair distance on a tour, We take PP with us. But if we are in a port like Grand Turk (Island is only a mile wide and seven miles long), we leave them in the safe.

And as you're Canadian, there might be other rules that apply to you. Can you fly back into Canada from a foreign country without your passport? Or are other forms of ID acceptable? And are you flying from Canada or crossing the border and flying from the US? If you're flying from the US then you would need them to fly back regardless of your citizenship.

Personally, we never leave the ship without our passports. DH and I carry ours all the time anyway (we use them to annoy store clerks when we're proofed :rolleyes: ) so it's nothing out of the norm for us.

Ok thanks for clearing that up about the passport.

So if you all take them into ports do you use a waterproof container for them while in the water? Guess if we are taking passport we may as well take our drivers licenses and not copies.

Thanks

I e-mailed the issuing department about carrying your passport or leaving it in a safe. Their reply was, it's not going to do you any good if you don't have it with you. Then they went on to ask why would you get one if you're not going to have it with you for ID. They also said it's up to the individual if they think they won't run into trouble and need it. We carry ours! You never know what could happen.

Ok thats 2 seperate opinions on the passport thing.

Can I have some tie breaker opinions. Like I said I am a newbie.

Opinion seems to be split on this question, so do what you feel comfortable with. (Don't have any advice about the beach because I generally don't go to beaches.)

same as they said, but it's not recommended that you take your passport off the ship. Usually just a photocopy, but not the passport itself. Bring your DL as well, use that as ID.

To each their own, and of course you do what you feel is right.

But, IMHO if i'm in port, and need a passport, then I NEED my passport, not a copy that has about as much value as the paper its copied on.

We, do, and will continue to take ours ashore with us. :)

I would never take my passport off the ship. The chances of it getting lost or stolen are much higher than the chances of me missing the ship and needing to fly home. My passport goes in the safe on day 1 and that's where it stays until I debark.

I'm looking into a passport card though. Something like that I would take off the ship. The actual passport? Absolutely not.

Ok thanks for clearing that up about the passport.

So if you all take them into ports do you use a waterproof container for them while in the water? Guess if we are taking passport we may as well take our drivers licenses and not copies.

Thanks

If you have a dive shop in town or close by go there with your passport and look for the waterproof containers they sell there. The are around 10 bucks so. If not look online at places like Divers Direct and Scuba Toys. Those are brick and mortar dive stores that sells items over the internet and are very reliable and good shipping costs.

I guess I'm a thrill-seeker because I lock my passport in the cabin safe as soon as I board and it stays there until the ship gets back to the U.S. Most of the time I don't even have a copy of my passport with me--just my driver's license and a credit card.

In Europe or Asia, I always carry my passport, but on a Caribbean cruise, nah.

To each their own, and of course you do what you feel is right.

But, IMHO if i'm in port, and need a passport, then I NEED my passport, not a copy that has about as much value as the paper its copied on.

We, do, and will continue to take ours ashore with us. :)

I agree! I will be on the same cruise as you in a few weeks. I can promise you that when I am in port I most definitely will have my passport with me.

DH and I are also Canadian. You need a photo ID along with your sail & sign card to get back on the ship when in port, no matter what. The Fun Times (daily newsletter) will tell you whether you actually need a passport or not. If it doesn't specify passport, your driver's license is fine (the real thing, not a copy).

When we stopped in Key West recently, we had to use our passports because were docked at the Navy Yard and they required all non-US citizens to have passports. In Cozumel, driver's license was enough.

It's a personal preference thing. Sometimes we take our passports with us, other times we don't unless specifically required to.

Archived