I just KNOW I'm gonna get flamed ...

LOL: I think they hate it too. It's a lot of work for them to do the entertaining 2x every night. If you look at their faces, you'll see that most don't really want to do it. We do YTD, and are usually able to avoid the "dancing." 1x or 2x per week would be good for us.

the brand ambassador has already told us that they like this, and are even made aware of this dancing when they are hired or promoted.

I'm neutral, but I'll take it over the whole wait-staff at (insert your favorite national chain restaurant name) stopping everything to sing happy birthday to little Johnny.:(:eek::D

Absolutely! I usually enjoy the entertainment and generally have plenty of time to talk. No flames here though. To each their own.

Is there anyone else out there who would rather not see the MDR waiters entertain every night? I'd rather sit and enjoy my tablemates' company than have to have the blasting music, etc. One time during the week would be fine, but it is too much every night.

I'm guessing it helps relieve the waiters' stress level to "let it all out," but I would much rather not have them trying to rush the dinner so they can be ready to entertain.

I'd much rather not have the whole singing/dancing show. Not for us.

the entertainment isn't so bad, however, I think that each ship should have different songs/entertainment than the other (that way it's not always the same every time you go). And it should be different each year (I was surprised that it was the exact same songs and dances on both my cruises on the Dream - 2010 and 2011, and when I was reading regarding our Freedom cruise this June - it's the same stuff). I really enjoyed it the first time, looked forward to it the second time (because I had enjoyed it) until I found out it was the same stuff ... so now I think I'm indifferent.

I would rather not have the dancing, honestly. If there's one thing I dread, it's being pulled out of my seat to dance publicly. And having them dance while I watch just brings up that fear... even if they don't ask anyone to join them.

I go along with it with a pleasant smile because other people seem to like it, but if the waiters are clearly not having fun, it's awkward for everyone. Very low, low, low, low (;)) on my worry list for cruising.

I'd love, LOVE to see it go away. Our last cruise something must have gone down since most of the crew was pretty unhappy looking and we twice saw crew get into verbal squabbles. Few smiles were around. Some of the most unhappy faces seen were those on the "dancing waiters", it appeared as they wished they could just catch up and do their intended job. I will say we only ate 4 meals (2 breakfasts/2 dinners) in the MDR and saw this dancing only once on the last cruise. Still, I have had enough of the goofiness.

Even on our 2 previous cruises when we had cheerful service through-out the ship the dancing waiters seemed annoyed at it all.

Makes me uncomfortable , and much of the staff looks uncomfortable as well. We pretend to enjoy it while they pretend to not feel like trained monkeys. Plus the music is loud and very poorly recorded.

Some people like it and some others dont. I'm in the "dont like" group. I would much rather not have to endure it. But on my 7 day cruises, it only happened twice, but I missed one evening in the MDR, so maybe three times, but for me two or three times to many. But I see lots of people really enjoying the whole scene, so I guess, it will go on as long as some or most people enjoy it. It doesnt stop me from going to the MDR though.:)

Is there anyone else out there who would rather not see the MDR waiters entertain every night? .

You can! Just get Any Time Dining and time your entry into the MDR right after they sing for the early sitting. You will be done with dinner before they sing for the late sitting.

That's what we've been doing for our last 4 cruises and we haven't heard the waiters sing since (and we we haven't missed it either!)

Another one on the "don't like it" group. I'm uncomfortable, it always appears that the majority of the crew is uncomfortable. I don't need to be entertained in the dining room. If they must, then some background music (without "singing dancing waiters") would be pleasanter.

I don't like it.

I don't have a problem if they do it though. I just don't want anyone to pull me up and dance. I have always graciously declined and try to hunker down in my seat so they don't see me. For those that want to shake their groove thing, that is fine with me!

Well........I don't really have a problem with the waiters singing and dancing if it doesn't impact service......but here I go jumping into the flame.......my pet peeve is the singing Maitre'D......:eek:......I KNOW...a lot of people really love Ken and the others who sing, but I'm not in a dinner theater and while I can kind of go on with my eating and ignore the singing waiters.....I feel like I have to stop and LET the MD's entertain me......

Don't get me wrong......Ken and all the others have fabulous voices, but they should be in the show lounge, not in the MDR........

I can live without it. Like others have said , it was cute the first time , and that's enough.

My oldest DD worked at one of those chain restaurants that does the little parade of singing waiters bringing out the desert with the candle for the birthday person. She always hated it , and said most of her co workers did too. She always tried to be busy when it was time for that.

The first time she saw the little production number in the MDR she said "Boy and I thought I had it bad , at least I didn't have to dance on table's " *LOL*

Well........I don't really have a problem with the waiters singing and dancing if it doesn't impact service......but here I go jumping into the flame.......my pet peeve is the singing Maitre'D......:eek:......I KNOW...a lot of people really love Ken and the others who sing, but I'm not in a dinner theater and while I can kind of go on with my eating and ignore the singing waiters.....I feel like I have to stop and LET the MD's entertain me......

Don't get me wrong......Ken and all the others have fabulous voices, but they should be in the show lounge, not in the MDR........

ken is good.

the one that looks like sargeant shultz is awful.

yet, there he sang, night after night. it was horrid!

You won't get flamed from me. I think the wait staff are overworked as it is...tossing in 'entertainment' just makes their jobs more stressful.

We were a table of 14 this past cruise....they were working their butts off and when they had to stop you could see them trying to hurry to get organized before they had to force smiles and dance like trained circus animals. I wish CCL would stop it.

I wouldn't miss it at all and would prefer that they stop doing it. On our last cruise one night we didn't even have the dessert menus before they started this stuff. It took forever to finish dinner that night. If that happens again I'm just going to leave and go get dessert later in the buffet.

We happen to like the singing and dancing, and sometimes even join in the fun! It's what separated Carnival from the rest of the cruise lines, and if someone really doesn't like it, they should try another line.

It seems to me the waiters work hard enough and the nights they have to preform they seem extra stressed to hurry you though dinner. I don't mind them singing just don't feel it is something I have to have while eating. My pet peeve is the picture taking most nights while I am in the MDR I don't what a picutre of myself with a pirate, or with any other thing for that matter. If I want a picture taken I will have it done before I enter the MDR at one of the lovely backgounds they have set up in the lobby. I know this is done for extra revenue but actually how many people buy these pictures. That is one thing I wish they would stop doing in the MDR. I usually tell them I don't care to have my picture taken but they have already intruded on my dinning experience.

Archived