I just KNOW I'm gonna get flamed ...

We happen to like the singing and dancing, and sometimes even join in the fun! It's what separated Carnival from the rest of the cruise lines, and if someone really doesn't like it, they should try another line.

It has happened on every line we have sailed on HAL, Celebrity, and RCL. Usually on the night they serve Baked Alaska, they come dancing in with it lit with a sparkler.

I like the dinner entertainment but wish it could be someone besides the waiters. It's probably good once per cruise, then on the last night for "Leaving on a Fun Ship". DW and SIL actually cried on that one at the end of our cruise last summer.

I begin to feel rushed as they try to get dessert orders in and delivered before the dance so they don't have to make you wait until after the dance for dessert.

I can take it or leave it. We always choose early seating. We have noticed that on the nights that they do it, the desert course is always rushed afterward though. They want you to get out so that they can get ready for the late seating.

Is there anyone else out there who would rather not see the MDR waiters entertain every night? I'd rather sit and enjoy my tablemates' company than have to have the blasting music, etc. One time during the week would be fine, but it is too much every night.

I'm guessing it helps relieve the waiters' stress level to "let it all out," but I would much rather not have them trying to rush the dinner so they can be ready to entertain.

I won't flame you at all .. But, I will tell you just speaking for our family that the only time we get together as a family is around the dinner table on the cruise and the dinner and the 5 minute entertainment is one of my kids favorite parts of the cruise. WE tried NCL (no bash at all) we just personally didn't care for not having the personal experience with the same table staff each night and the little bit of entertainment everynight. Our two youngest were pre-teen on our first cruise and now are teenangers and they still will sit and wait (even if they are done eating) they will sit and wait each night to see our servers do their little song and dance. My daughter loves to get up and join them and usually all smiles the whole time. We have always had dinner as a family at home every night and usually our first week or two at home, as we are going through the cruise blues, our kids will proclaim "showtime" in one of the Matre d voices :) .

Is there anyone else out there who would rather not see the MDR waiters entertain every night? I'd rather sit and enjoy my tablemates' company than have to have the blasting music, etc. One time during the week would be fine, but it is too much every night.

I'm guessing it helps relieve the waiters' stress level to "let it all out," but I would much rather not have them trying to rush the dinner so they can be ready to entertain.

FINALLY.....someone with my exact thoughts. If I want to see singing and dancing I would attend a show.....THANK YOU

I did not know that they did this on cruises until I read about it on CC. I can't believe they make the waitstaff do this. I was a waitress in college and probably would have quit if they had made me sing and dance.

I don't love it or hate it, But maybe a welcome song on the first night and a farewell song on last night would be more appropriate. They are over worked and don't need to dance and sing every night.... Edit PS I don't like them standing on the serving tables.

I have actually seen some of the waiters conveniently take the dessert orders and go to the kitchen just so they wouldn't have to participate. I've talked to other waiters and they don't really care for the dances.

The song/dance I really can't stand is the one I call "Twirl Your Dirty Napkin Over Your Head". I just love eating while crumbs come flying at me.:eek:

The dining room is for eating. The stage is for singing and dancing. I enjoy both ... in their place.

Thank you! If I wanted singing and dancing with dinner I would go to a dinner theater.

Archived