Copenhagen Travel ??

So, after doing research on a number of threads and sites, it seems as if a taxi is the best option to the port from our hotel (Marriott). I know we can get to the Marriott from the airport using the Metro or train and bus combo. Now, we would never consider doing this in many major US cities without having our head examined :eek:. Is it really practical to haul suitcases on the public transportation in Copenhagen? Would we need to lift them or lug them up or down stairs? Considering the wait times for the next train, metro or bus, is it worth the savings?

Would love to hear from other cruisers that have first hand experience.

I am also interested to know if it is worth it (not just the money but convenience of having luggage) to use the train/metro to get to the hotel from airport then hotel to port.

So, after doing research on a number of threads and sites, it seems as if a taxi is the best option to the port from our hotel (Marriott). I know we can get to the Marriott from the airport using the Metro or train and bus combo. Now, we would never consider doing this in many major US cities without having our head examined :eek:. Is it really practical to haul suitcases on the public transportation in Copenhagen? Would we need to lift them or lug them up or down stairs? Considering the wait times for the next train, metro or bus, is it worth the savings? Would love to hear from other cruisers that have first hand experience.

It's a personal and budget choice. We did the taxi option, given the amount of luggage we had getting ready and being there for a 15-day cruise out of wonderful Copenhagen. The cab is much easier as you just walk out the front door of the airport terminal and there are the cabs . . . going immediately and directly to your hotel. No other hassles, confusions, worries, etc. Public transit could work, but it will generally take more time, required added planning, more effort, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 78,514 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 68,546 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I would say (although I am not a cruiser but a mere local):

If your trip can be done exclusively by Metro, Train or S-train, Taking public transportation with bulky luggage is OK as:

- all stations have elevators or escalators

- all trains have doors that are at platform level, thus no stairs. (The airport train only has half the doors at platform level, though)

If you need to take a bus as a part of your trip, I would skip public transportation with bulky luggage and take a taxi, since

- Space in busses is limited, especially in rush hour.

- Bus drivers sometimes frown upon bulky luggage because of space issues and the time spent to board and disembark.

Marriot hotel can be reached with the aiport train to Central Station (København H) and a walk from there, but you have to walk 700 m (approximately half a mile). It's shortest if you exit the station from the back (Tietgensbroen). Not all platforms have elevators from the back entrance, though.

Thank you, a taxi it is! We had already planed on a taxi from the hotel to the port; just unsure of airport to the hotel. Anyone have an idea of that cost? I hate lugging things, especially in an unfamiliar place!

Once in Copenhagen, how much might we use public transportation? (I know this depends upon our personal touring style and "wants".) We plan to do the harbor cruise from Nyhavn and Tivoli in the evening. We enjoy walking and are more than willing to get around by foot if that is possible. The segway tour we're taking seems to cover a great deal of the city. We have debated purchasing the Copenhagen card, but it does not seem cost effective for our plans

Actually, most tourists do not use public transportation very much in Copenhagen since the city center is very compact and all sights are relatively close to each other. It's not like Paris or London where the tourist sights are much further apart (obviously because the cities are bigger). So besides daytrips to Humlebæk, Helsingør, Hillerød or Roskilde, there is not a real need of using public transportation if you are able bodied and do not carry luggage. The Little Mermaid is probably the sight which is furthest away, but it's a pleasant walk if you choose to go there. The Copenhagen Card is good if you plan to visit the sights outside the city as public transportation to the surroungs town is quite expensive. Otherwise, I think it's better to explore the city on foot and to pay for museums etc. as you go.

Our bus comes into the Frihamnen pier a few miles from Downtown. I know we need to take the 76 bus to the city center. I've used the google map to look at what the area looks like in person. I read on the Web page that you have to have a bus ticket before you get on the bus as the driver will not sell yu a ticket

Does anyone know if you can buy a bus ticket at the pier. I dont' need a travel card. thanks

When I was in Copenhagen, on my first visit, I personally did the train from the airport to Central Station and then walked. There were 3 of us, each with one piece of luggage and 1 carryon. I didn't have any problems at all with the train and walk combo to get to the Marriott (also my hotel at the time).

When it was time to cruise, I took a cab from the hotel to the port. And on the return, since we were flying out right away, I took a cab from port to airport.

3 years later, when my parents went to Copenhagen to start a cruise (without me this time). They also were staying at the Marriott again and did the same thing - train from airport to Central Station and then walked. They were in their late 50's at the time and didn't have any problems.

This August, I'm back in Copenhagen, but going straight from Airport to to pier. I've decided to take the train from the Airport and then transfer to S-train as close as it gets me to my pier. Then we'll walk the remaining 1km to get to the pier.

For me, I've been all over Europe lugging my luggage on trains, buses, metro, etc. to get from airport to hotels in Copenhagen, Rome, Munich, Milan, London, Venice, Barcelona, Vienna, etc. So, I'm familiar with how public transportation works all over Europe and I don't have issues with using it and carrying bags. It's part of the adventure of travel. But, I also love to travel and that gets to be expensive, so I am willing to sacrifice some convenience and comfort to use public transportation rather than taxis.

But as someone said earlier, you have to make your own decisions based on your own comfort level with public transportation vs cost and convenience.

I do fell that i experience more of a city if I use the Subway, Metro, RER, S Bahn, Underground, U Bahn, tram and whatever they are called and maybe it sounds corny but you feel the vibe of the city more than you do on a motorway to the airport and as a added bonus you save some dollars for the rest of the trip. :)

Marriot hotel can be reached with the aiport train to Central Station (København H) and a walk from there, but you have to walk 700 m (approximately half a mile). It's shortest if you exit the station from the back (Tietgensbroen). Not all platforms have elevators from the back entrance, though.

I haven't seen directions from the back exit. Is there anything specific we need to be aware of?

Just walk down to the bridge at the back of the platform, if its a long train then choose the wagons in the back of the train and you will be nearer the bridge.

When on the bridge you turn left until you reach the first crossing after the tracks, here you turn right until you get to the road that follows the harbour.

Here you turn left and suddenly Marriot is located on your right hand and this trip is only like 10 minutes or something.

Archived