Paradise Cove (Deadman's Reef) or Taino Beach in Freeport

KKnKT

My husband made this video during the Biking Adventure excursion in Freeport April 24, 2012 on our Norwegian Sky cruise.

He also posted videos from Sky and will be posting more excursion videos if anyone is interested.

Kris

If we all pick the snorkeling excursion, then it's "just" $35 each, including transportation, correct? There will be four of us. The website doesn't say that there's any minimum number at that price.

Would we have to pay an additional $3 each or is that included in the package price? And we would also need to rent chairs and umbrellas? Any idea what those would cost?

I may just have to email them and find out. I don't want to make reservations thinking it would be $35 each (plus tip(s) I imagine) and then find out that we end up spending double that. Plus food!

I believe the $35 package includes everything... but, email them to be sure. Barry replied to my email quickly. :cool:

If you end up going, tell the turtles I said "Hello"! ;)

Thanks for the review and awesome pix! We chose to do Deadman's Reef next week when we are at Freeport and looks like it was the right decision :) Our ships leaves out at 5, is the 430 return they do too late for that departure do you think? We were planning on the 230 return to be safe.

Thanks

Pretty sure you're supposed to be on board 30 minutes prior to departure time. 4:30 would be too late.

I figured we'd return at 2:30. And even then, I worry about what might happen if there's some accident and the traffic is blocked! It's not like you can get off the interstate, drive a couple of exits down the road and hop back on the highway! :p

I'm not a swimmer, so I need to contact them to find out what my options are. I'd be a lot more comfortable if I had on a full lifevest rather than the flotation belt.

If I decide not to snorkel, can I wade out to where the turtles are? It seems as though the water is quite shallow a long way out.

I'm not a swimmer, so I need to contact them to find out what my options are. I'd be a lot more comfortable if I had on a full lifevest rather than the flotation belt.

If I decide not to snorkel, can I wade out to where the turtles are? It seems as though the water is quite shallow a long way out.

While you can walk most of the way to the grass banks the bottom is hard and slippery. You may have an easier time wearing a lifevest and using flippers to get out there. Once there, you don't want to walk on the grass anyway. It makes the turtles sad. :(

I believe Paradise Cove can provide any type of flotation device you need, but send them an email to be sure. Let them know about your limitations and what you hope to see... they're sure to be of help. :cool:

That makes sense and kind of what we were thinking. 230 it is, so we'll have an hour or two at the Freeport port to kill & from what I have read, there is nothing at all there, correct?

There is a small tourist village at the port. They have some food and drinks, as well as plenty of shops selling $ouvenir$. :cool:

OK good deal, from some of the things I've read about Freeport, thought I'd be climbing over a crane to get to and from the ship! I think this is the first mention I've read of any kind of shop within walking distance. Trinkets, shiny things and adult beverages are enough to keep me occupied for that hour or two;) Thanks much for the info!

OK good deal, from some of the things I've read about Freeport, thought I'd be climbing over a crane to get to and from the ship! I think this is the first mention I've read of any kind of shop within walking distance. Trinkets, shiny things and adult beverages are enough to keep me occupied for that hour or two;) Thanks much for the info!

It's definitely an industrial port and the surrounding "scenery" is mostly petroleum infrastructure, but rest assured... they've provided ways to keep as much of your money inside the fence as possible. ;)

Enjoy your cruise and travel safely! :cool:

We visited Paradise Cove last year on our Fascination cruise - great people and great snorkeling!

Sucks to hear that you got take for the $80 cab ride! We contacted them directly before hand and R/T transportation plus gear ran us $70 for the two of us - they do provide flotation belts

We also saw turtles and barracuda and tons of fish, but its not until you get past the reef and the bottom drops off that you see tons of fish and coral

Highly recommend this outfit!

I will contact them, for sure.

I enjoyed my one snorkel trip, but that was a guided tour with a larger group and they had the main guide plus someone in a kayak keeping an eye on us. I just don't have the nerve to get out there over the deep water. I don't want to worry about drowning. That certainly isn't in my vacation plans! :eek:

And, yes, I've taken swimming lessons three different times in my life. It's just not something I've managed to get comfortable with. And I just haven't lived anywhere that I've had easy access to swimming.

I don't recall if there's a bar there in the dockside area. But then, I've never really spent any time there. I normally get right on a bus and go. I wouldn't mind having an adult beverage or two when we return. :D

My husband made this video during the Biking Adventure excursion in Freeport April 24, 2012 on our Norwegian Sky cruise.

He also posted videos from Sky and will be posting more excursion videos if anyone is interested.

Kris

Great job on the video. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for watching it! I figured when there were no comments that everyone thought I was troll. He's also posted videos from our excursions in Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay, but I guess I won't post anymore links and arouse any further suspicion.

I hadn't posted anything since 2009 right before we took our first cruise. We just went on our second cruise in April on the same ship, Norwegian Sky. My husband videotaped everything, including life boat drills, a tour, excursions, etc.

Kris

My eleven year old daughter and myself went to Paradise Cove last week. Here is my review. Some is taken from my trip review.

I had pre-booked the day trip to Paradise Cove prior to our arrival via their website. The company was supposed to be waiting for us when we got off the ship, but they were not. Another couple happened to have called them from port and they let us know they were on their way. So it took us a bit longer to get going then I was expecting.

After a 15 minute drive, we arrived at the beach place. The driver, Nathan, told us about some aspects of the island on our way to the beach. It was a nice driver and brief tour. You could tell the island people are poor which was sad, but he did say that most depend on tourism, so at least were doing our best.

At the check-in counter, there were these tiny little bugs that were biting everyone's ankles. So I would advise you bring bug spray. But after that I never felt them again. For about $60, we got transportation, snorkel equipment, two chairs and an umbrella.

The snorkeling was pretty good. Not a huge reef, but there were some corals. Quite a variety of fish, and even turtles. They do give you some basic instructions and set you free. The best areas are quite a bit out, and they have a few floats that you can climb on are just hang on. Oh, we even saw a lobster. And a small barracuda I think.

After getting out to the good section, and then spending some time out there, and then swimming all the way back, we were both pretty tired. I was glad to have the floatation device waist thing. This allowed me to turn over on my back and just relax and kick.

We spent the rest of the day hanging out on the beach, playing in the sand, drinking Island beers, and having lunch. The food is nothing special, but the prices were better then I thought they would be. Like $8 for a burger, and beers were like $4. They gathered us up about 2:30 and returned us to the port.

It was a good day. Remember to put lots of sunscreen on. And reapply often.

We loved visiting PC last year - never had an issue with any bugs but we did wind up waiting for the van as well. We were the first ones there - it was great having the place to ourselves for a couple of hours.......

We loved visiting PC last year - never had an issue with any bugs but we did wind up waiting for the van as well. We were the first ones there - it was great having the place to ourselves for a couple of hours.......

• 2 weeks later...

Armedaneian, I sent you a friend request on here because I tried copying the link of this thread to a doc where I am gathering info and reviews to show dh and discuss what we want to do on our first cruise but I kept losing it. I would get a error that the thread no longer exists and it wouldn't show up in a new search.

I appreciate your detailed review and info along with your photos.

Armedaneian, I sent you a friend request on here because I tried copying the link of this thread to a doc where I am gathering info and reviews to show dh and discuss what we want to do on our first cruise but I kept losing it. I would get a error that the thread no longer exists and it wouldn't show up in a new search.

I appreciate your detailed review and info along with your photos.

Hi lynkmom!

I'm sorry about that. Apparently, I was bad by starting a new thread for my review, so "they" merged it with another post... a terribly inappropriate one. So, I asked them to merge it with a thread on the same subject... it should stay here forever now! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=34386481

• 4 months later...
The staff was nice and they checked us in quickly. It cost $3 each, and we paid $5 for a locker plus a $5 deposit for the lock. Then, they sent us over to "Elvis" who gave us a short briefing about the reef and the turtle-filled grass banks on the way to it. He explained how walking through the sea grass and standing on the coral destroys the ecosystem, then offered us any equipment we may have forgotten.

a142eb91-6685-4ca8-992f-a5fdeb6d3da6.jpg?rnd=0.2657696

Could I just bring along my own lock to use for the locker? We will be visiting PC in December.

• 3 weeks later...