Paradise Cove (Deadman's Reef) or Taino Beach in Freeport

KKnKT

How long does it take to get off the boat at Freeport, goto your spot at Paradise Cove, and return? How long do you give yourself to get back to the boat with some wiggle room to spare? Are there taxi's always waiting, or do you need to arrange that with the taxi person taking you? Thanks... any advice welcome.

Hey everyone, so I have a question, Would it cheaper to just pay for a taxi for two to ride over there? And once you get their, do you just swim out to the reef or do they take you by boat? I already have snorkel equipment( Im a diver) but my boyfriend does not. What would be the cheaper route? thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise yesterday and we visited Paradise Cove. Barry and his staff are absolutely wonderful and run a tight ship! Our only disappointment was how crowded it was. When we first arrived (about 10:00 AM island time), there were only about 20 people there. Within an hour there were easily 150+ people there! (literally) And the beach is not that large, so it's hard to move away from everyone. My husband snorkeled and said the reef was really amazing. I enjoyed sitting on the beach. We eventually had to move our chairs because a loud family came up and sat their chairs right behind us. Very annoying!! I did enjoy looking for and finding some great shells, including a gorgeous sea biscuit!! The tide was going out the first part of the day so it made it nice to wade out among the rocks. It began coming back in just before we left. The conch fritters were great! I would recommend Paradise Cove for the day - just be aware that it can get crowded. The beach and facilities are very clean and the staff was so friendly! I should also mention that since I didn't snorkel I was given a drink coupon and a chair coupon to make up for not using the snorkel gear.

Edited by LHARTWICK

How long does it take to get off the boat at Freeport, goto your spot at Paradise Cove, and return? How long do you give yourself to get back to the boat with some wiggle room to spare? Are there taxi's always waiting, or do you need to arrange that with the taxi person taking you? Thanks... any advice welcome.

If you have the 5 person minimum, or are willing to pay for it, you should be able to leave right away. It takes less than 1/2 hour to get there, so 30 minutes should be fine... depending on how much wiggling room you need. ;)

Would it cheaper to just pay for a taxi for two to ride over there? And once you get their, do you just swim out to the reef or do they take you by boat? I already have snorkel equipment( Im a diver) but my boyfriend does not. What would be the cheaper route? thanks!!!

It's only cheaper to pay for a taxi, instead of using their transportation service, if you have the five person minimum. Once there, you can just swim out to the reef, but they do offer a boat ride. I think it was $5. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

We went last week to Paradise Cove and snorkeled on Dead man's Reef. It was amazing! There were only about 20 people there. The beach was beautiful and the reef was easy to swim out to. It cost $35 each which included bus transportation there and back, all snorkeling equipment, and instructions. We did tip the driver and the snorkeling instructor.

You can rent a locker for your stuff for $5 plus a $5 deposit on the lock. Beach chairs are $3. There is also WIFI there for $5.

They picked us up at the ship at 9 a.m. and we could come back at 12:30, 2:30 or 4:30 for the same price.

www. deadmansreef. com

You can get a ride out to the reef on a small boat for $5 each but it was an easy swim. I am not in good shape at all but I swam it and we were out there for over 2 hours and din't even notice the time. We were exhausted when we came back and sore the next day but it was not difficult to swim it. We had the swim belt floats and flippers. It's about 200 yds out there.

There is a gazebo right outside where we docked in Freeport that had all the excursions (Carnival and others). There was a guy standing right at the corner with a sign for Paradise Cove. You can reserve early by e-mail or just walk up to them. We had some friends decide at the last minute to go and there was plenty of room.

It is on the western end of the island in a pretty deserted area. You pay for the excursion when you get there (cash or card).

There is food there for purchase (the grouper fingers were amazing, about $8 for those and fries). You can get a lunch special for $7 each but it is burgers or hot dogs. Definitely skip that and get grouper and conch fritters and conch fingers. They have picnic tables under shelters or out in the open. It rained some while we were there but we were fine under the shelter.

When you get there they give out your equipment (we saw them cleaning them afterward very good so that was good but you can bring your own, even just the snorkel if you are freaky about germs) and then give you a introduction to the reef, what you can touch (nothing) and how to snorkel (very brief). You get your equipment on and go down to the shore. They help you get in the water and send you on your way. They do not go with you but encourage you to stay with a partner. They are watching for if you have problems and will come help if you need it. A couple with us needed it, he inhaled some water and they had to come get him. He was fine once he dried out.

The great thing is you can stay out as much as you want or come in and go back. There is no extra charge for staying longer. We got there about 9:30 or 9:45 and were in the water by 10:15. We came back in about 12:30 and had lunch. We could have gone back out if we wanted but we were toast by then and it was raining on and off. We went back at 2:30.

Many of the other excursions you only get about 45 minutes of snorkeling. This, you get all the time you want. They also have kayaks and paddle boards to rent if you want. I don't know the prices of those. Have fun!

I can not figure out how to upload pictures. Sorry!

Did you notice if the kayaks had clear bottoms? Did you see anyone using them and if so can they get close to the reef? We will be there in January and it may be too cool to snorkel. I'm cold natured:(

I didn't look that close at the kayaks. Sorry. I'm cold natured too and it was little cool right at the shore but got warmer as we got out to the reef. E-mail and ask them though.

We are on the Pride and will be in Freeport January 3, only 7 am until 1 pm, is that enough time to get here and enjoy the snorkeling? Being January I'm afraid it's going to be cold and we will be leaving before it warms up? Also, we are a family of 4 with our own gear, so do we have to find a single person or what would the price be if we had to pay for 5 and we are only 4 (just transportation) Thanks!

We just got off the Pride and we did Deadman's. We were met at the port at 8am by their driver and we got back to the port by 12:30. We had enough time to snorkel and to have lunch on the beach. By the way, the grouper fingers and cracked conch was better there than at Twin Brothers in Nassau. They are really good at keeping track of time so they get you back at the port in plenty of time. We will definitely book with them again. If you have more questions, contact Barry directly and he will chat with you over the phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

We just got off the Pride and we did Deadman's. We were met at the port at 8am by their driver and we got back to the port by 12:30. We had enough time to snorkel and to have lunch on the beach. By the way, the grouper fingers and cracked conch was better there than at Twin Brothers in Nassau. They are really good at keeping track of time so they get you back at the port in plenty of time. We will definitely book with them again. If you have more questions, contact Barry directly and he will chat with you over the phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the input. Did you notice the kayaks at all? I was wondering if they are the clear bottom kind and if you could get close to the reef with them? I will be there in Jan. like the other poster and am pretty sure I will be too cold to snorkel.:eek:

Thanks for the input. Did you notice the kayaks at all? I was wondering if they are the clear bottom kind and if you could get close to the reef with them? I will be there in Jan. like the other poster and am pretty sure I will be too cold to snorkel.:eek:

Yes, I saw the kayaks but I'm not sure if they had a clear bottom. We were there on 11/29 and I was concerned about the water temps too. When we first got in the water was a little chilly but not unbearable. We got used to it quickly and it was really warm the farther out we went. We did not need wet suits at all but they do have them for rent.

Thanks so much for the review, good information & pictures.

We had this in mind for our Feb 2nd cruise but I was starting to doubt my choice.

We have snorkeled Hawaii, St Lucia, Dominica, Mexico & I was beginning to feel that I might be disappointed in this place.

You have reassured me that we should be OK with the water temps, to bring bug spray, & there are boats to take you across the rocky slippery sections (knee surgery) & rafts part way out to rest if required. You didn't mention currents which is terrific. It doesn't sound like there is much coral but the fish & turtles will make up for that!

Thanks again for such through info.

Thanks. I e-mailed and hopefully will hear back soon. Did you notice what the beach chairs were like?

Barry said that they have 2 man clear kayaks. It would be a $10 surcharge over the $35 each to do the kayak adventure with the clear kayaks. He said that you can see fish and can paddle around the reef.

Also, if we decide to neither snorkel or kayak you can substitute a drink and lounger.

Wetsuits are $5/hr or $10 for 3hrs.

Edited by mawvkysc

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...