Early or Late Dining? Pros and Cons?

suzyed

I think that this ultimately boils down to a matter of personal preference. You may feel rushed getting ready for the early seating, especially, as Scrapnana says, if you're returning from a land excursion. Even on our transatlantic crossing, we found ourselves racing to get into our formal wear on time for dinner at 6, at least at first. And some people on this board have remarked that they found the service at the later seating more relaxed. But once my wife and I got used to the schedule (and to our clothes), we enjoyed having several uninterrupted hours of postprandial leisure with which to enjoy a show, a board game, or a good book, followed by jazz and a leisurely drink in the Chart Room. Early or late, it's simply grand!

Beside being a decidedly late bird by character (and therefore having every meal somewhat late, like breakfast at 9.30, lunch at 2 even on working days), the late sitting offers much that is an advantage for me.

- you can sit and read on the open decks until early evening

- you can enjoy the sailaway parties, one of my favorite pastimes on a cruise

- you dont have to rush after return from land excursions, instead you can enjoy an hour or two of relaxation before dressing up for dinner.

- I rarely go to watch a theater show if its not comedian, preferring cinema and/or cocktails for late evenings.

- I find the late sitting guests to be younger and more entertaining.

- you feel less rushed before dinner and at the end.

- I never go to bed before midnight so digestion of a late dinner is no health problem to me.

- you´ll find yourself less confronted with possible noise (from neighbours or public rooms) on your cabin if you´re preferring a late schedule.

Therefore, the early sitting is no option for me.

Beside being a decidedly late bird by character (and therefore having every meal somewhat late, like breakfast at 9.30, lunch at 2 even on working days), the late sitting offers much that is an advantage for me.

- you can sit and read on the open decks until early evening

- you can enjoy the sailaway parties, one of my favorite pastimes on a cruise

- you dont have to rush after return from land excursions, instead you can enjoy an hour or two of relaxation before dressing up for dinner.

- I rarely go to watch a theater show if its not comedian, preferring cinema and/or cocktails for late evenings.

- I find the late sitting guests to be younger and more entertaining.

- you feel less rushed before dinner and at the end.

- I never go to bed before midnight so digestion of a late dinner is no health problem to me.

- you´ll find yourself less confronted with possible noise (from neighbours or public rooms) on your cabin if you´re preferring a late schedule.

Therefore, the early sitting is no option for me.

Thanks for your point of view...very helpful!

We are doing the TA on the QM2, so returning from shore excursions will not be an issue. ;)

I am more concerned about taking in shows in the evening, and other activities on board, and wondering if late seating interfere with that.

on a cruise with lots of shore days, late is better. On a TA with no shore days,( and probably little on deck sun bathing) early is better as you have the whole evening to enjoy all the entertainment on offer.

We usually book early dining as you do have the option of excusing yourself from your table (let them know!) and dining in one of the alt venues at any time.

Thanks for your point of view...very helpful!

We are doing the TA on the QM2, so returning from shore excursions will not be an issue. ;)

I am more concerned about taking in shows in the evening, and other activities on board, and wondering if late seating interfere with that.

Most shows will be shown twice to cater both sittings, but there might be the odd one you´ll miss when you choose late sitting. I had that once on a two-and-a-half week cruise on QM2 last month.

trevgbb´comment is good, TA has to be seen a bit differently indeed. If I´d be doing a TA in off-season with short days, I might consider early diner. You´ll be easily on your feet then when you reach NYC in the early morning!

Even on a TA when you are not dealing with shore excursions and only have one sailaway to watch, I prefer late seating. There is usually an early and a late show, so it would be quite rare that you would miss a show due to late seating. If it looks like you would miss a show due to the late seating you can always book an early dinner at Todd English, or the King's Court for that night. But most importantly, early seating is way too close to tea:).

I tend to prefer the late because you can enjoy activities that begin around 10pm without having to wait for hours. Personally, it is rather so I can avoid drinking too much. If I drink wine during an early dinner I'm afraid there is too much time to imbibe more alcohol before the night is over. So if I don't start until around 8pm at least I will hopefully keep it to a minimum.

On the other hand, I prefer the early seating if for some reason I'm not partaking in any late night dancing and/or not drinking. It's nice to be able to get to sleep early and wake up with the sunrise and still feel energetic. There are plenty of daytime activities I miss if I'm out late the night before. So perhaps I'd say it can depend on whether you intend to go out dancing or not.

Can you go into early sitting latter than 6pm?

Last orders are usually 6:30, but we try not to skate in at the last minute.

We generally have early sitting because going in to dinner at 8:30 is just too late for us. And yes, it does mean I have to restrain myself at afternoon tea. But that's probably just as well. ;)

We always have late sitting. But this time we are going first, because of the time loss we thought it would suit us better. Otherwise it will be nearly midnight when we leave the table. Early will give us more of an evening to enjoy the bars/shows.

What is the atmosphere like at first sitting. Are we more likely to be able to get a table for two.

What is the atmosphere like at first sitting. Are we more likely to be able to get a table for two.

On every voyage I've been on I've been told that early seating is more popular than second. If this is true, then tables for two will be harder to obtain on first than on second seating.

First seating (from personal observation, I've been on both) seems to attract senior/older passengers who like to get to bed early... and any families with young children.

Second seating has, to my eyes, a more sophisticated atmosphere. "Hosted Tables" are found at second seating... and many times the Commodore or Captain will dine with his invited guests.

I've only ever been on late sitting, however, in a couple of months we shall be on the early one.

The last time we were on the QM2 it did get rather late, often not finishing our meal until 10:30. We did not complain but the waiter one night did apologise for the slowness without being prompted, which I thought was good.

I suppose the early is a bit too early and the late is a bit too late - but there's not much that can be done about that apart from paying for the grills I suppose !

Archived