First Time Cruiser from Singapore!

saturnz

Hi everyone

Greetings from Singapore! Will be taking our first ever Baltic cruise onboard Royal Caribbean from Stockholm this June!

As a first timer, would need some help from you guys!

- My check-in time is between 1130am-3pm..ship will only depart at 5pm. Can i check-in my luggages first say 1130am, then make my own way to Stockholm city centre for a short tour about 2-3 hours before returning back to the pier terminal?

- Will our passports be kept by the Royal Caribbean staff or ourselves?

- On our last day, is there any Royal Caribbean airport transfer service from pier to airport?

The best place for your research is the RCI board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Generally, yes, you can drop your bags and go back into town.

Passports are held if immigration procedures at your ports require it. I don't believe a Baltic cruise would require holding passports.

RCI will probably have transfers available.

You can drop off your luggage as early as 10:30 AM -- but keep your carry-ons with you if you have cameras, medication, etc. Give the porters only luggage that you want delivered to your cabin.

Since the ship is departing at 5 PM -- you need to be back on the ship by 3:30 -- there will be a lifeboat drill around 4:15.

As for the ship keeping your passport -- it depends on the ports you are visiting. Make colored photo copies of your passports to keep with you.

The best place for your research is the RCI board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Generally, yes, you can drop your bags and go back into town.

Passports are held if immigration procedures at your ports require it. I don't believe a Baltic cruise would require holding passports.

RCI will probably have transfers available.

Ok, then once i checked in, i will take a cab to Gamla Stan, have a short walking tour den head back to the pier by 330pm

You can drop off your luggage as early as 10:30 AM -- but keep your carry-ons with you if you have cameras, medication, etc. Give the porters only luggage that you want delivered to your cabin.

Since the ship is departing at 5 PM -- you need to be back on the ship by 3:30 -- there will be a lifeboat drill around 4:15.

As for the ship keeping your passport -- it depends on the ports you are visiting. Make colored photo copies of your passports to keep with you.

1030am? Are we able to check in so early??

No. Dropping your bags and checking in is two different things. KK says you can drop bags at 10:30. I don't have definite knowledge of that, but I do know you won't be able to checkin much before 11:30. Again, check on the RCI board for their checkin procedures.

Once you checkin, and board the ship, your cabin may not be ready yet, so you won't be able to drop your carry on items just yet. Again, check on the RCI board for their standard procedures of when the cabins are ready.

Just make sure you know EXACTLY when you need to be back to the ship. These time cut-offs are VERY strictly regulated, and you will be denied boarding if you are late by even one minute. I have no idea what the time cutoff is for that itinerary, but make sure you know!

Honestly, I would be a wreck about doing a tour right before the cruise like that, because of the timing factor. I understand the desire to see Stockholm, but is there any way you could come a day early or stay a day late to do that tour? Again, I am just a big 'ol chicken about cutting it that close for boarding, especially on a city tour where you have very little control over timing.

Have a great first cruise, whatever you decide!

The policy of the ship holding passports varies not only by country of the port, but also by citizenship of the passenger. On a recent Med cruise, we (US citizens) retained our own passports, but other nationalities on board (including some guests from Asia) had their passports held by the ship. Visa requirements also vary widely by nationality.

When considering immigration issues, never assume that what applies to US citizens applies to others, and vice versa.

I have engaged a tour guide to bring us around Stockholm City on the departure day...as i will arrive at the airport around 915am..i will have a 2-hour tour first before arriving Frihamnen...

By the way, i have a question about meals...i understand that dinner will be at the same dining hall everyday..what about breakfast and lunch? Will it be at the same venue and i assume all these have been included in our cruise cost right?

There are different dining venues for all meals. For breakfast you can go to the main dining room, order room service or go to the buffet. For lunch, on sea days, you can dine in the MDR, buffet or pick up things like pizza and hamburgers at the outdoor grill. For dinner it's the MDR, room service, buffet or one of the extra charge specialty restaurants.

This cannot be emphasized enough. You must be ON the ship BY 3:30 and no later. I'm also not so sure you can drop luggage that early as the porters are still working with those who are leaving the ship at the end of their cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
There are different dining venues for all meals. For breakfast you can go to the main dining room, order room service or go to the buffet. For lunch, on sea days, you can dine in the MDR, buffet or pick up things like pizza and hamburgers at the outdoor grill. For dinner it's the MDR, room service, buffet or one of the extra charge specialty restaurants.

This cannot be emphasized enough. You must be ON the ship BY 3:30 and no later. I'm also not so sure you can drop luggage that early as the porters are still working with those who are leaving the ship at the end of their cruise.

Hi kitty9, thanks for your reply!

By the way, if we join the shore excursions with Royal Caribbean, do we need to tip the guide and driver?

Hi kitty9, thanks for your reply!

By the way, if we join the shore excursions with Royal Caribbean, do we need to tip the guide and driver?

Most people do tip a couple of dollars each.

• 4 weeks later...

It's just a week away to our very first cruise! Feeling excited about it!

Can i know if temperatures ranging from 12-21 degrees, is it cold? What type of clothing will be suitable? Cos here in Singapore, we are facing like 30-33 degrees everyday and it's scorching!

It's just a week away to our very first cruise! Feeling excited about it!

Can i know if temperatures ranging from 12-21 degrees, is it cold? What type of clothing will be suitable? Cos here in Singapore, we are facing like 30-33 degrees everyday and it's scorching!

bring light layers and a wind cheater. That way you can add/remove as you need. Short sleeved shirts and maybe a couple of long sleeved t-shirts. You'll be fine. I'd limit your shorts if you are plannning to bring any. You might want to pack a small folding umbrella as well as a precaution.

Have a great time!

bring light layers and a wind cheater. That way you can add/remove as you need. Short sleeved shirts and maybe a couple of long sleeved t-shirts. You'll be fine. I'd limit your shorts if you are plannning to bring any. You might want to pack a small folding umbrella as well as a precaution.

Have a great time!

Thanks for your advice! By the way, i have actually packed my clothing and i brought shorts for all port days! I will be bringing light jackets..now i am thinking should i change my shorts to jeans at least.. hmm...

Thanks for your advice! By the way, i have actually packed my clothing and i brought shorts for all port days! I will be bringing light jackets..now i am thinking should i change my shorts to jeans at least.. hmm...

yes, jeans would be a better idea for the port days.

A pair of long slacks would be a very good idea. The temps in the Baltic can vary quite a bit and you might even experience a cold rain. On one of my four Baltic cruises, it had the hottest temps in over 75 years and the next year, the temps didn't rise higher than 60 degrees F.

Archived