Review - with pictures - Sapphire Princess California Costal cruise - Apr/May 2012

Cuizer2

Beautiful pictures! I especially loved the night pictures. I am still learning how to take decent pics at night so I appreciate someone who has it mastered. Thanks again for taking the time to post. I love looking at people's vacation pics and experience a bit of excitement doing so. Thanks again.

Loved, loved, loved your pictures and review!!! I especially loved the shot of the sea lions napping on the buoy - just like puppies curled up together. Fabulous shots of the ship. Don't know if I personally would sacrifice my sleep that way. But the shots are really beautiful!

BTW, I believe the two birds in post #53 are roseate spoonbills, but I'm no expert.

What a great review. Your pictures were some of the best that I have seen. Loved the pictures taken around the ship. We cruised the Sapphire to Alaska and there was so much of the ship we didn't have a chance to see. One of these days I will figure out the settings on my camera to get nighttime shots close to being as half as good as yours. That poor polar bear looked like a dog waiting to be let out of his cage. My last 3 cruises have been solo, but, with a group and I have never been asked why I was cruising by myself. My next cruise will be solo also, but, with this same group.

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and fabulous photos. We are on the Sapphire on Sept 29th Vancouver to LA. So looking forward to it and appreciate you taking the time to give such great details.

Loved your review and pictures and so appreciate your time in making it so wonderful.

I do have one question...does the Sapphire have a mini golf course? My husband would love to know!

Thanks again for the great review, your pictures, and videos.

Loved your review and pictures and so appreciate your time in making it so wonderful.

I do have one question...does the Sapphire have a mini golf course? My husband would love to know!

Thanks again for the great review, your pictures, and videos.

I never saw one.

I'll be cruising on the Sapphire (for the first time) next month so I really appreciate all of your wonderful photos. I know where I'll want to hang out based on your informative pictures. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Thanks for ALL of the pics and review! Very, very nice. :) Sometimes when we are in between cruises....we just need to see ship pictures...especially Sapphire ship pictures. Love that ship. Thanks again.

...does the Sapphire have a mini golf course?

Yes, and no. During the remodel in February, it was transformed into the "Lawn Club". It was in bad need of being refurbished as the astro turf was thread bare. The "hills" were taken out and now it is completely flat. Though you cannot play mini golf anymore, it can be cross-utilized for lawn bowling, bocce ball, croquet, and putting golf balls. It is located behind the MUTS screen in an area above the pools.

There were a few draw backs to it that I hope they have remedied. The wind would get under the astro turf (it was not glued down) and made it ripple. It was hard to putt golf balls when the surface rippled, was too windy, or when the ship was too rocky. The croquet balls were made of light weight plastic, so just a small wind would make them roll around a lot. The lawn bowling balls I am not sure about, but the Bocce Balls were much smaller than they should be.

Great Pics! Thanks for posting. A good key to night photography is using a remote with your camera while it's on a tripod. Great pics!

The camera is not set up to accept a cable release and I'm not going to invest in the cost of a remote. I can always just set the self timer for two seconds if I want. I did take a couple of pictures of myself with Alcatraz in the background using the ten second self timer.

Of course the tripod is useless if the ship is moving and you are trying to take a picture of something outside the ship. Inside is no problem as everything will be moving at the same rate.

Edited by Cuizer2

• 1 month later...

I thoroughly enjoyed your review and the wonderful photos. We just booked this cruise today for Apr 2014 (yes, I know ... planning ahead). Our 3rd cruise on Princess and first time on the Sapphire Princess.

Looking forward to the CA Coastal cruise ... some of our favorite cities (San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego).

Edited by MilliesMom

When you were docked in SF, was it an easy walk to Pier 39?

I know you tender in Santa Barbara .. how far is town from the pier? I think it should be fairly close, but wanted to be sure.

We use to live in CA, but it's been years since we've been to either place. Can't wait to visit.

When you were docked in SF, was it an easy walk to Pier 39?

I know you tender in Santa Barbara .. how far is town from the pier? I think it should be fairly close, but wanted to be sure.

We use to live in CA, but it's been years since we've been to either place. Can't wait to visit.

If you dock at pier 35 (where the cruise ships normally dock) it is a very close walk to Pier 39 (5 minutes at most)

nothing is close to where the tender port is in santa Barbara. there is a bus that will pick you up once you get to the street (right when you walk off the dock- the visitors association will have set up booths) that is 25 cents to go up state street where the shopping, court house and botanical gardens are

If you dock at pier 35 (where the cruise ships normally dock) it is a very close walk to Pier 39 (5 minutes at most)

nothing is close to where the tender port is in santa Barbara. there is a bus that will pick you up once you get to the street (right when you walk off the dock- the visitors association will have set up booths) that is 25 cents to go up state street where the shopping, court house and botanical gardens are

Thank you. Appreciate the response/answers.

After that is it back to the cabin to get ready for a Meet & Greet organized by one of the roll call groups I was part of. During the Meet & Greet someone pointed out that one of the restaurants was serving pub food. So fourteen of us head over to the Savoy Dining Room on deck 5 for a British-Style Pub lunch. I had (clear the room of anyone under eighteen before reading further) Bangers & Mash (the mash is mashed potatoes) . Fish & Chips was the table favorite (English chips are our French fries and our potato chips are English crisps).

Was this offered daily or a one time lunch during the cruise? Thank you.