Riviera Ramblings

JimandStan

I won't attempt to compete with Hondorner's magnificent recap of the first few days, but I will jump in to say that the major difference between Marina and Riviera (for us) has been the improvement in the service.

The staff who manage the others "on the floor" if you will, have been magnificent. Issues are anticipated and resolved before they come to a head, so I have actually had to struggle to be able to "time" a problem resolution.

Otherwise, although we have been advised that there are over 700 differences between the two ships, the only one that we jumped out at us immediately is that the Grand Bar is no longer carpeted. The new look (and I will post photographs soon!) is modern Italian and VERY chic.

On another oft discussed topic the Bathtubs with the shower plumbing are WONDERFUL and in the Penthouses, the Showers are now large enough to retrieve items from the floor, quite easily.

Something else that I am finding very enjoyable is that whenever, and whereever we ask a question, the staff seems to be aware of what the problems were before and what measures have been taken to resolve them. We don't need to explain our concerns.

We're cruising off the coast of France right now, and after I send this, we're off to team trivia with Don & Betsy (being conducted in Martinis, these days).

We've been invited to dine tonight in Toscana with friends from Texas, and the Osso bucco is already calling my name.......as is the basil gnochi.

The food, overall, has been better that I have ever seen it, we just had a really exquisite luncheon in the GDR. The food was plated so beautifully that I hated to disturb it. All of you who are booked on the Riviera are REALLY in for a treat! :D

We will be on The Riviera starting May 26 for our Athens to Barcelona cruise.

We will be in an Oceania Suite and can't wait to see it!

This will be our fifth Oceania cruise and we already have one picked out for next year.

We love Oceania!

Jim & Stan, thank you for the update. In my reply to Don's post, I asked him to remind you about my martinis. Thank you all for your reports! I am enjoying them. They are the next best thing to being there. :)

Judy

Jim & Stan, thank you for the update. In my reply to Don's post, I asked him to remind you about my martinis. Thank you all for your reports! I am enjoying them. They are the next best thing to being there. :)

Judy

Judy-

I've been "supervising" the bar in Martinis fairly regularly duing this cruise, and the libations are certainly up to my very exactiung standards. ;)

Although favorite bartender, Antonio, is not on the Riviera now, he very kindly gave the new servers a heads up, so I'm still guaranteed to find my favorite beverage (A Jim-tini) waiting for me as I arrive at the bar. A very nice personal touch.

Jerry Blaine, the cocktail pianist is a huge draw for me, and Leslie John did both a Martni tasting AND Team Trivia in Martinis yesterday, so they are keeping us entertained as well.

I'll end this now as our tour of Valencia starts in a few moments-

Thanks JimandStan! We are sailing on 9/14 Lisbon to Rome (penthouse suite) and it is great to hear the ship is what we hoped it would be. I know you are probably busy but keep posting so we can hear how the first cruise on Rivieria is going!

Otherwise, although we have been advised that there are over 700 differences between the two ships, the only one that we jumped out at us immediately is that the Grand Bar is no longer carpeted. The new look (and I will post photographs soon!) is modern Italian and VERY chic.

Is the floor in the Grand Bar now tiled?

Is the floor in the Grand Bar now tiled?

If you look at the latest blog on the Oceania site there is a picture of the floor as well as the new color of furnishings. I think it looks great in the pictures and can't wait to see it in person in just 7 days.

This is an exciting first for me, I wasn't sure of trhe answer, so I ran downstairs for a second (better) look at that floor. If only I always had that luxury...:rolleyes:

Anyway, the floor is now glossy marble tile in a gray-black hue, with a black granite border around the entire perimeter of the entire room, and occasional area rugs under certain of the furniture groupings.

Very striking and modern.

J&S,

Thank you for the report. On our Marina cruise early last year there was noticable restaurant staff training going on. Understandable as they had just added 30/40% occupancy to their fleet. I mentioned this to a senior officer who acknowledged as much......I am sure things improved as the year progressed.

Is similar training noticable on Riviera or have they transitioned better this time? It sounds from your report that service is impecible. Thank you

J&S,

Is similar training noticable on Riviera or have they transitioned better this time? It sounds from your report that service is impecible. Thank you

They will have gain staff from the Insignia so maybe it will be not a big learning curve

Jim & Stan,

When we were on Marina there was a small problem with the wall in the hallway outside Jacques. It was covered in a "furry" texture and people were "writing" on it with their finger. Staff was brushing it clean several times a day. Did they change it on the Riviera?

Ed

They will have gain staff from the Insignia so maybe it will be not a big learning curve

The Riviera,(and I'm quoting KIWP here),already feels like a well seasoned ship. Everyone is buzzing with how quickly the staff got into the groove.

Many of the staff from Insignia are aboard,and those who have come from the Marina are making the most out of their experience on that ship, and guiding them when need be.

Service feels effortless from my perspective as a passenger, and although I personally have always been well served on Oceania, somebody has done something VERY RIGHT on the Riviera. The word no does not seem to exist :rolleyes:

Thank you for the great updates and will be checking it out for ourselves on the inaugural TA in Nov. Enjoy your cruise and see how many of the 700+ updates you can locate and I'll have lest to find in Nov. and more time for frivollity.

Bill Keith

Thank you for all of the wonderful information. I read that most of the Insignia staff went to Riveria and I wondered if anyone knew where Vladmir C the restaurant manager at the time we sailed last year ended up.

We are hoping he will be on our ship when we sail in November on Marina, TA. He has been with use for two of our three cruises and we would like to make it a triple.

Thanks for the information

Jim & Stan,

When we were on Marina there was a small problem with the wall in the hallway outside Jacques. It was covered in a "furry" texture and people were "writing" on it with their finger. Staff was brushing it clean several times a day. Did they change it on the Riviera?

Ed

"Furry" as in suede?

I loved that texture - never thought of writing on it :)

Why would anybody do that? Do they do it at home on their walls (with dirty fingers)?

"Furry" as in suede?

I loved that texture - never thought of writing on it :)

Why would anybody do that? Do they do it at home on their walls (with dirty fingers)?

Does make you wonder about some people :eek:;)

Jim, so good to hear from you about the new ship, and the quality of service; also, all the attention paid to issues with Marina raised by passengers and fixed. Leslie Jon and Jerry Blaine: definitely the A team; how marvelous. I miss our trivia nights! :)

Question: how is the furniture in Martinis and Horizons? On Marina, the furniture was stylish-looking, but all the seats were so low to the floor that they were very difficult to get up from them and also difficult to place your feet when seated, seemingly designed for people four foot tall.

! :)

Question: how is the furniture in Martinis and Horizons? On Marina, the furniture was stylish-looking, but all the seats were so low to the floor that they were very difficult to get up from them and also difficult to place your feet when seated, seemingly designed for people four foot tall.

I was thinking the same. The furniture on the Marina was very uncomfortable and I am short. I am curious if they switched out the sofas and chairs in Horizons for something more practical. I am delighted to see a soap dish and shampoo holder in the shower. Hopefully the soap will no longer fall through the slots. The ship looks lovely. Enjoy your voyage.

We'll be on Riviera for the July 7th sailing (and -- yippee -- for the 3 cruises after that as well) and just received the boarding docs yesterday. Looks like many of the staff who have been referenced as being on Riviera now, Leslie Jon for example, will be off before we board. Leslie's current contract (if that is the correct term for someone in his position) probably began well before the departure date of the cruise you are all on now so by July he'll be ready for a break.

How I envy those of you who are on-board now for Riviera's christening!:)

Archived