Riviera Ramblings

JimandStan

Judy-

I've been "supervising" the bar in Martinis fairly regularly duing this cruise, and the libations are certainly up to my very exactiung standards. ;)

Although favorite bartender, Antonio, is not on the Riviera now, he very kindly gave the new servers a heads up, so I'm still guaranteed to find my favorite beverage (A Jim-tini) waiting for me as I arrive at the bar. A very nice personal touch.

Jerry Blaine, the cocktail pianist is a huge draw for me, and Leslie John did both a Martni tasting AND Team Trivia in Martinis yesterday, so they are keeping us entertained as well.

I'll end this now as our tour of Valencia starts in a few moments-

Love Jerry Blaine. Nothing like listening to him while enjoying a Martini!!! Wish I was there!! Always have one for me when you are there!! ;)

This is an exciting first for me, I wasn't sure of trhe answer, so I ran downstairs for a second (better) look at that floor. If only I always had that luxury...:rolleyes:

Anyway, the floor is now glossy marble tile in a gray-black hue, with a black granite border around the entire perimeter of the entire room, and occasional area rugs under certain of the furniture groupings.

Very striking and modern.

that it would be different when we visited with him on Marina on embarkation day for the Spring T/A on Maina..sounds very different!! LuAnn

that it would be different when we visited with him on Marina on embarkation day for the Spring T/A on Maina..sounds very different!! LuAnn

Quick update on that dratted floor in the Grand Bar, the central tiles are actually beige, gray and black (funny how lighting can alter ones perceptions).

If I had to rate the changes from Marina to Riviera, I would say that the Grand Bar is the most changed, followed by Deck 14 where the ceilings are higher, and then the Spa deck where the Thalassotherapy Pool is now twice the size of that on Marina.

Some upholstery is changed in Martinis, and although the chairs are similar in style, they must not be as low as the older models, because I have not heard any complaints yet :p

The Naming Ceremony pre show starts at 1PM tomorrow with the actual Christening commencing at 2PM. As soon as I can upload photos, I'll put them up. :D

Hi JimandStan,

Thanks for sharing your insights with us. I'm enjoying it very much. Have a wonderful Cruise !

Thanks for all the great reports. I've sailed on Marina twice and just got back from my first cruise on Silversea which was HORRIBLE (please read my review if you're interested). Just booked Riviera for Jan in a PH on deck 10. You guys are making me VERY excited, especially if the entertainment is better than on Marina (my ONLY complaint). It's only a 10 day cruise which is very short for me, but I'm hoping the crowd is as fun and interesting as those on the longer voyages (we are in our mid-50s and just got married). Thanks again.

Thanks for all the great reports. I've sailed on Marina twice and just got back from my first cruise on Silversea which was HORRIBLE (please read my review if you're interested). Just booked Riviera for Jan in a PH on deck 10. You guys are making me VERY excited, especially if the entertainment is better than on Marina (my ONLY complaint). It's only a 10 day cruise which is very short for me, but I'm hoping the crowd is as fun and interesting as those on the longer voyages (we are in our mid-50s and just got married). Thanks again.

I just came back from the Riviera and I really enjoyed the entertainment for the first time in over 20 cruises..

only one show I thought was really weak and that was the Beatles wanna be's..

Jancruz1

Thanks, Jim and Stan, for the great updates on Riviera. We are booked on the 9/14/12 cruise from Lisbon to Rome and we can't wait! My first cruise (ever) was on Oceania and was on Insignia in 2010, so I'm also excited to see how many staff will now be on the Riviera. I'll look forward to seeing more reviews of Rivieria!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all ears now about this ship, since we're booking 18 months out on the November 2013 crossing, and it will be my first Oceania cruise.

I've been told that in the PH, the curtain between the sitting area and the bedroom can't be drawn closed. I'm kind of hoping that this might be rectified in future, since I like that feature.

Over the months, I will have many questions, but right now, I'm wondering if there's an ipod dock in the PH staterooms. I don't see such a thing listed under the amenities, so I expect the answer is no.

Okay, another question that perhaps no one can answer. If you have the "prestige" liquor package, do you have to pay for something like a martini or wine tasting event?

And another one--will you be able to book cooking and art classes in advance, or is that something that will just be available once you board?

And another one--will you be able to book cooking and art classes in advance, or is that something that will just be available once you board?

You will be able to book cooking classes ahead. I have taken several and really enjoyed them. The other questions I can't answer, as we have not sailed in a PH on this class ship, just the R class nor done a liquor package. Joanna

I'm

Okay, another question that perhaps no one can answer. If you have the "prestige" liquor package, do you have to pay for something like a martini or wine tasting event?

I am guessing that the wine tasting events will be extra

Maybe now that some are back from recent cruises with the Beverages packages they will comment

I just came back from the Riviera and I really enjoyed the entertainment for the first time in over 20 cruises..

only one show I thought was really weak and that was the Beatles wanna be's..

JancruQUOTE]

I am looking forward to the shows. I actually liked the entertainment on the Marina, so I know I will really like the 'new & improved' entertainment. I love Andrew Loyd Weber music so I am looking forward to that!

Thank you Jan for all your reviews.

Judy

I'm all ears now about this ship, since we're booking 18 months out on the November 2013 crossing, and it will be my first Oceania cruise.

I've been told that in the PH, the curtain between the sitting area and the bedroom can't be drawn closed. I'm kind of hoping that this might be rectified in future, since I like that feature.

Over the months, I will have many questions, but right now, I'm wondering if there's an ipod dock in the PH staterooms. I don't see such a thing listed under the amenities, so I expect the answer is no.

• The curtain between the sitting area and bedroom area in the Penthouses does not close.

• There is an Ipod Dock (as well as an elaborate speaker system) in Owners, Vista and Oceania Suites, but not in the Penthouses.

• Martini tastings are included in the Package, but not the Wine Events.

• Cooking classes may be booked in advance, but since the Artist Loft Classes are "no fee" they must be booked on board the ship.

Archived