Should RCI have a disclaimer for Coco Cay? Grand Cayman etc?

We were on a FOS cruise that had to miss Coco Cay as well, and were disappointed, but the idea of complaining to guest relations never occurred to us. We made the best of a another at-sea day, and it added to the overall relaxation of the cruise. On the other hand, we were surprised that there were not more activities organized for the day once they knew they wouldn't be stopping at Coco Cay. Since it does happen relatively often, you would think they would have back-up plans to entertain the passengers, and that could go a long way toward making the guests who are upset a bit happier.

[quote name='CntPAcruiser'] Since it does happen relatively often, you would think they would have back-up plans to entertain the passengers, and that could go a long way toward making the guests who are upset a bit happier.[/quote]
They do......they revise the compass to include more activities..

[quote name='PH8']They do......they revise the compass to include more activities..[/quote]

With regard to our specific cruise on FOS last January, when we missed Coco Cay, if they did revise the Compass to include more, it was not apparent that much, if anything, was added.

[quote name='CntPAcruiser']With regard to our specific cruise on FOS last January, when we missed Coco Cay, if they did revise the Compass to include more, it was not apparent that much, if anything, was added.[/quote]

Yeah I have to say I agree! When we originally missed CocoCay the updated compasses didn't seem to have that much more activities than before. It didn't really bother me because I'd rather just read a book and relax most of the time, but I could see how other people who like to be very active could get a little anxious. lol.

Many frequent cruisers are happy to have a sea day, but many new or occasional cruisers don’t feel the same. We have been seated with new cruisers who are upset when they learned the ship would miss a port. They may have planned this cruise for years and may not have another opportunity to take another.

M

I've had Grand Cayman skipped a few times on my cruises. On my January, 2004, Rhapsody of the Seas from Galveston, the schedule was: Key West, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. There was a couple planning to get married on Grand Cayman. Family and friends flew into Grand Cayman. Yep -- you guessed it -- Cayman was skipped due to high seas. We went onto Cozumel and spent overnight there. It was fun to see Cozumel at night, but I sure felt sorry for that wedding couple and their family and friends. I'm not sure if they got married on the ship, in Cozumel, or what.

I've wonder this: What if the seas are OK to get into the tendered port, but unexpectedly become rough and make it impossible to get back to the ship? Has this ever happened? What did the ship and cruise line do?

[quote name='GTMoose']Anyone here have an entire itinerary change (say a "Western" Caribbean cruise to an "Eastern") due to something like a Hurricane or some other reason?[/QUOTE]

On my first 7 day on the SS Norway, it was to be her final Western Carib. sailing (although they changed their mind a few weeks later when 9/11 happened and wanted more "domestic" sailings). Anyway, there was a hurricane in the Western Carib so they changed us to Eastern Carib on the day of sailing. We were supposed to go to Nassau (I think), St. Maarten, and St. Thomas/St. John instead. Unfortunately, we got caught in a tropical storm on the Eastern route and missed Nassau. Then we were unable to tender to St. Maarten because of the waves (SS Norway did not port there, only tendered)--that was so disappointing because we were anchored waiting to tender all morning but the port finally said no. Fortunately, we made it to St. Thomas. We ended up opting to take the tender from the ship to St. John first just so we could be off the ship! Then went to St Thomas later that day. Ended up being perfect! I think we maybe got $50 total in stateroom credit (which I was happy to get) and only had one port in 7 days!

On that note, I have been to Coco Cay every time! I'll need to look at my signature again, but I think 4 or 5 times. I've also made it to Great Stirrup Cay (NCL's island) both times we were to call there. I keep crossing my fingers with the private islands in that area since I know they often get skipped and I keep feeling like I'm "due". I just hope my luck continues to hold out in that respect!

[quote name='Jimnbigd']I've had Grand Cayman skipped a few times on my cruises. On my January, 2004, Rhapsody of the Seas from Galveston, the schedule was: Key West, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. There was a couple planning to get married on Grand Cayman. Family and friends flew into Grand Cayman. Yep -- you guessed it -- Cayman was skipped due to high seas. We went onto Cozumel and spent overnight there. It was fun to see Cozumel at night, but I sure felt sorry for that wedding couple and their family and friends. I'm not sure if they got married on the ship, in Cozumel, or what.

I've wonder this: What if the seas are OK to get into the tendered port, but unexpectedly become rough and make it impossible to get back to the ship? Has this ever happened? What did the ship and cruise line do?[/QUOTE]

Oh, I forgot about Grand Cayman. Again, scheduled to go there twice and both times no problems. Gosh, I hope I'm not jinxing myself. We're looking at changing our Nov. cruise from Liberty to Mariner--which calls in GC.

[quote name='ryano']Im just curious as to what everyone thinks.

I guess the same could be said for Grand Cayman as well?[/quote]

I have visited Grand Cayman 14 times on a cruise ship and not once did I miss the port due to tendering issues. Maybe I have just been lucky, but a lot has to do with the time of year that you travel. Certain months have much rougher seas and if you book during these months to save money, there is a much likelier chance that you will miss a port.

Also, coming from the other side of the Purser's side of the discussion....
I once worked for Princess Cruises on the Purser's Desk for a 6 month contract. We only missed 2 ports in the entire 6 months. Once was in [B]Huatulco[/B], Mexico due to rough seas for tendering. The other time was when we missed Cozumel due to a missing passenger (likely went overboard and was never heard from again). I love Cozumel and was upset to miss this port, but we were ordered by the Coast Guard to go back and retrace our course to Grand Cayman to aid in the search for the missing passenger. You would not believe how we at the front desk were bombarded with angry passengers. Not only was the ship's captain trying to possibly save the life of a passenger, but if you are ordered by the Coast Guard to participate in a search and rescue mission, you have no choice but to participate in it. Maybe passengers just need somewhere to vent their frustrations and anger, but the poor Pursers at the Purser's Desk have nothing to do with the situation and cannot help you.

We've only missed Coco Cay once or twice. I remember a Majesty cruise when we did not miss Coco Cay but the water was to choppy for me (I turn green just stepping onto the tenders) and I wouldn't go over.

We live at the beach and missing a routine beach destination like Coco Cay is not a big deal to me. During the swine flu mess we missed Cozumel and that was much more upsetting.

Archived