Is trip cancellation refundable?

april47

The rules for refunds due to cancellation are very clear to me as far as the chart on the website shows. It says CPP is not refundable and lists which cruises are 90,75 days etc. What is unclear to me is if you cancel BEFORE that time would the price for the policy be refunded? For instance if your cruise is 120 days away but needs to paid at 75 days when it would be only partially refundable(and no refund for policy) is your total INCLUDING the policy refundable at 120 days? Those policies are expensive!

The rules for refunds due to cancellation are very clear to me as far as the chart on the website shows. It says CPP is not refundable and lists which cruises are 90,75 days etc. What is unclear to me is if you cancel BEFORE that time would the price for the policy be refunded? For instance if your cruise is 120 days away but needs to paid at 75 days when it would be only partially refundable(and no refund for policy) is your total INCLUDING the policy refundable at 120 days? Those policies are expensive!

Trip cancellation insurance is normally not refundable, but it also does not have to be added or paid for until final payment (at least HAL insurance)

It is not refundable but I have read here where sometimes they have agreed to transfer it to another cruise if the cancellation is made far before the cruise but don't count on that.

See verbage from HAL's web site re: their Cancellation Protection plans. I read this as once paid, non-refundable. Since one does not have to pay for this until final payment, (it didn't use to be that way), I buy it now and have been very satisfied with the service when had to collect for two cases of unforseen circumstances - one a pre-cruise cancellation and one a trip interruption. Barbara

"The CPP Standard and CPP Platinum Plans are optional and must be purchased prior to the date on which cancellation fees begin to accrue. Payment for the plan is due at time of purchase and is non-refundable. "

I guess all the lines handle it differently because I just received my refund from Carnival in the bank this morning and they DID refund my cancellation policy. Hopefully I won't need a refund from HAL because I am looking forward to my Alaska cruise. Now if these old bones will cooperate.......

Archived