Thinking about river cruising

Poulsbo Cruisers

My DW and I have never done a river cruise and are considering doing so next year. I have a couple of questions for those who have done both river and ocean cruising.

Are river cruises more formal? In other words, are you expected to dress better for dinner and are there more formal nights?

Is tipping usually included in the fare?

Are deposits a percentage of the total fare and are they refundable up to a certain number of days prior to the cruise?

Thanks

My DW and I have never done a river cruise and are considering doing so next year. I have a couple of questions for those who have done both river and ocean cruising.

Are river cruises more formal? NO

In other words, are you expected to dress better for dinner and are there more formal nights? NO they are more casual than Ocean cruises, no formal nights at all

Is tipping usually included in the fare? It depends on the cruise line

Are deposits a percentage of the total fare and are they refundable up to a certain number of days prior to the cruise?

Thanks

It also depends on the cruise line ..read the fine print before you book

Our cruise deposit was non Refundable then there is the sliding scale of % depending on the number of days before your cruise which is non refundable

We are doing our first river cruise in June but after researching many lines that is the information I have found

I am sure others will also have better info for you

lyn

Hi -

Your deposit is considered part of the total fare - but are usually a set amount (ie: $200 per person) instead of a percentage of the fare.

Deposits are usually non-refundable - although you should be able to get your deposit back from an insurance company - IF you purchased insurance and the reason for cancellation is covered.

We received our deposit back from one cruise - but it was because we booked before the brochures came out, and discovered (after we received our brochure) that the itinerary had changed. We knew we might be facing that situation - but booked early anyway so that we could get the date and cabin we wanted.

Fran

We have only cruised with Grand Circle Cruise Lines, 6 cruises out of 13 trips with them and their sister company Overseas Adventure Travel, so that is our only first hand experience to answer these questions, but I believe that the answers would apply to all.

For the most part, river cruises are more casual than ocean cruises, although that may vary by cruise line. For the most part, you are ashore for the better part of the day, frequently returning to the ship just before dinner.

In general, tips are not a part of the fare, as the actual tip is based on service level. The tip is usually pooled among the entire crew, but you can directly give tips to those who have provided exceptional service. Program directors, trip leaders, or whatever the each companiy call them are tipped separately.

Deposits are generally a flat amount with final payments due at some point in advance of the trip. Each company would have their own refund policy, generally with a sliding scale as to amount.

Wendy Perrin of Conde Nast Traveler is doing an article for the August issue on river cruising. She cruised with Grand Circle, AMA Waterways ans Uniworld, on cruises on the Seine, the Rhine and the Danube in April. She was on our Grand Circle cruise on the Seine. You can see pictures from each cruise on the Perrin Post on the CN Traveler web site. I have also written a blog on our cruise, jackthetravelingman-seine.blogspot.com.

River cruising is a totally different experience than ocean cruising, with the smaller ships, about 50 - 200 passengers, depending on the river, generally docking right in the center of town, you can come and go as you wish, and you don't overwhelm the town. There is, in general, one seating, with open seating for meals. You will generally get to know everyone on the cruise to one degree or other before the end of the cruise. Entertainment in the lounge is usually not of the level of ocean cruises. Amenities can vary widely, as can price, as well as pace and time ashore.

We have taken 4 ocean cruises, but prefer river cruising.

Jack

We have only cruised with Grand Circle Cruise Lines, 6 cruises out of 13 trips with them and their sister company Overseas Adventure Travel, so that is our only first hand experience to answer these questions, but I believe that the answers would apply to all.

For the most part, river cruises are more casual than ocean cruises, although that may vary by cruise line. For the most part, you are ashore for the better part of the day, frequently returning to the ship just before dinner.

In general, tips are not a part of the fare, as the actual tip is based on service level. The tip is usually pooled among the entire crew, but you can directly give tips to those who have provided exceptional service. Program directors, trip leaders, or whatever the each companiy call them are tipped separately.

Deposits are generally a flat amount with final payments due at some point in advance of the trip. Each company would have their own refund policy, generally with a sliding scale as to amount.

Wendy Perrin of Conde Nast Traveler is doing an article for the August issue on river cruising. She cruised with Grand Circle, AMA Waterways ans Uniworld, on cruises on the Seine, the Rhine and the Danube in April. She was on our Grand Circle cruise on the Seine. You can see pictures from each cruise on the Perrin Post on the CN Traveler web site. I have also written a blog on our cruise, jackthetravelingman-seine.blogspot.com.

River cruising is a totally different experience than ocean cruising, with the smaller ships, about 50 - 200 passengers, depending on the river, generally docking right in the center of town, you can come and go as you wish, and you don't overwhelm the town. There is, in general, one seating, with open seating for meals. You will generally get to know everyone on the cruise to one degree or other before the end of the cruise. Entertainment in the lounge is usually not of the level of ocean cruises. Amenities can vary widely, as can price, as well as pace and time ashore.

We have taken 4 ocean cruises, but prefer river cruising.

Jack

Wow, one of the best travel blogs I've seen!

I think everyone has covered your questions.

River cruising is much different than ocean cruising. Most river cruisers have come from the ocean cruise market. Demographically, the river cruisers are older and many times, are more affluent. (but not always)

Welcome!

Please don't let the comment about affluence scare you away. Have been on 15 river cruises and found the passengers to be very delightful travel companions. No one drips diamond and mink--luggage restrictions are too bad:rolleyes:. Have found the passengers to be very well travelled and on the over 50 group. Many lines have age restrictions so you don't see small children.

The casual nature of the cruises are wonderful--really helps with the weight restrictions. Good luck finding that perfect itinerary, but be careful river cruising is addictive. Pat

River cruising is a bit more expensive than ocean cruising, but your program generally included most excursions.

You have less variety for meals with river cruising, but the food is good.

Because entertainment is not as extensive, you tend to make more friends on a river cruise and get to know more people. With 150 people on a boat, you get to know a lot of them.

I think river cursing is great. You are closer to the people and culture.

Some other differences are that dining is open seating on most lines, but that generally means a window of time for breakfast and lunch, and then dinner is served at a set time and they ask that you not be late. So the term open seating is a bit misleading.

No reserved tables for dinner and if a table for 2 is important to you, you should verify that the ship offers them. We like the option to dine on our own and that is not always a possibility.

Tipping on the lines we have cruised is optional as well as anonymous, unless of course you choose to tip on your credit card at the end of the cruise.

The included excursions on most lines are basically an introduction to the city or town and last about 90 minutes. We enjoy keeping a good pace so will opt for a fast walker tour or set on our own. We also like having bikes aboard.

Are river cruises more formal? In other words, are you expected to dress better for dinner and are there more formal nights?

Is tipping usually included in the fare?

Thanks

We have done a good many ocean cruises, but are just back from our first river cruise. We chose Viking for our first river cruise, and I didn't see that one mentioned, so will give you our experience. Yes, generally very casual, although for the Captain's Welcome/Farewell cocktail party/dinner people did dress up a bit, although not formally. There were a few sport coats, though not many ties for the men, and the women who dressed up generally wore dressier tops with nice slacks. As was already mentioned, you are on tour a good part of the day, and many people just wore to meals the clothing they already had on, but about half changed for dinner into a bit less casual wear. Seating in the dining room was at tables of 6 or 8. Our daily tours were included in the price of the cruises, although there were a few "optional" tours also offered at an additonal cost. If you chose not to take an optional tour, you had free time to either spend on the ship or go back into the town/port Also, we were asked to tip our guides and drivers(where a bus was used) ; 3 euro per couple for the guide and 1 euro for the driver. Tipping on the ship was asked at 12 euro per person per day, and that included the wait staff, desk staff, concierge, program director and room steward. You could either pay this in cash (envelope provided) or by credit card.

We have done a good many ocean cruises, but are just back from our first river cruise. We chose Viking for our first river cruise, and I didn't see that one mentioned, so will give you our experience. Yes, generally very casual, although for the Captain's Welcome/Farewell cocktail party/dinner people did dress up a bit, although not formally. There were a few sport coats, though not many ties for the men, and the women who dressed up generally wore dressier tops with nice slacks. As was already mentioned, you are on tour a good part of the day, and many people just wore to meals the clothing they already had on, but about half changed for dinner into a bit less casual wear. Seating in the dining room was at tables of 6 or 8. Our daily tours were included in the price of the cruises, although there were a few "optional" tours also offered at an additonal cost. If you chose not to take an optional tour, you had free time to either spend on the ship or go back into the town/port Also, we were asked to tip our guides and drivers(where a bus was used) ; 3 euro per couple for the guide and 1 euro for the driver. Tipping on the ship was asked at 12 euro per person per day, and that included the wait staff, desk staff, concierge, program director and room steward. You could either pay this in cash (envelope provided) or by credit card.

Would you do river cruising again or do you prefer ocean cruising?

Just to add my penny's worth - having done both River & Ocean trips, personally we simply adore Rivers - especially as all the time you see "land" and 99% of the time you are moored in the centre of the towns/village.

So much so, that in a few weeks, we will be doing a Hotel Barge trip in the UK, more about that upon our return:)

Would you do river cruising again or do you prefer ocean cruising?

I would love to do another river cruise. Not only was this our first river cruise, but it was my first trip to Europe (my husband has been to Europe many times on business, but this was our first trip together). Since we live in a climate where we normally get a cold, long, snowy winter, we usually take our ocean cruises in those months to warmer climates like the Caribbean, Mexico or Hawaii to enjoy both the weather and water activities like snorkeling. However, although the weather in Europe last month was a bit chilly, I so enjoyed the walking tours right off the ship, and the ability to return to town after lunch if we wished. I also liked watching the countryside go by as we cruised to our next port during the day, whereas with the ocean liners, all we would see is water. ;)

We just completed our first river cruise and loved it! We have been on 8 ocean cruises and they are really different. The passengers are a bit older and seemed to be well travelled. Because it is so much smaller (130-160 or so), you do get to know your fellow passengers (for better or worse!) On our ship, breakfast and lunch were buffet, so you could spend as much or little time as you wanted. However dinner is usually only the 5 course sit down dinner like on ocean cruises, no informal buffet option. We enjoyed the dinners, but a 2 hour dinner everynight might not be for everyone. Also, if you are someone who needs to be entertained constantly, this might not be for you. Aside from the nightly singer on the piano, a trio one night, woodcarvers one night and the rather interesting crew talent show, there is not much entertainment. It is much quieter and sedate than an ocean cruise.

I have done 6 ocean cruises and last year my first river cruise. This fall I am doing my second river cruise. I love both, I'm addicted to the lifestyle. River cruising is much more relaxed, no hectic pace, no fighting crowds to get off the ship or onto a bus or tender, no formal nights plus you get to spend more time 'with the people' in smaller cities, towns, villages. The scenery is remarkable and you can almost reach out and touch it! Ocean cruising has many more onboard amenities, activities and entertainment but endless days of not seeing land. Both are wonderful but for different reasons. Although I find that both let you 'see the world' and if there is a spot that particularly takes your heart, then you can always go back and spend more time. Most definitely the average age on the river cruises is generally 60+, that is also the case with some of the higher end cruise lines. River cruising is much more intimate with under 200 passengers and the dining room is quite crowded and somewhat noiser than the ocean liners (lower ceilings has a lot to do with it). But sitting on the upper deck seeing both sides of the river is awesome!

I really enjoy all the comments. We are looking at a river cruise for the first time after 12 oceans cruises. We seem to be leaning towards Uniworld and Viking (longboats) at the moment. So we are in the information and planning phase.

Can anyone comment on traveling during the night? Is there any vibration coming from the engines that keep you up at night?

During the evening meal, can a person carry on a conversation with others or is there background noise to content with? I’ve read some passengers on Viking have complained about noise levels being to loud in the dinning room.

How about security on board the boat? Do you feel safe?

Do you need to take your passport(s) with you when you leave the boat?

Do they have system to keep track of passengers when off the boat?

John

We are just back from our first river cruise on a US boat Queen of the West on the Columbia and Snake Rivers. Athough the trip was very expensive and there were very few activities on the boat, I would be willing to do another river cruise elsewhere.

We have done at least 27 big cruise ship cruises and 2 on small ocean vessels (fewer than 80 passengers) River cruises seem to suit us.

John99

First of all, since we have only cruised on Grand Circle, these answers apply specifically to them, but I believe that all of the cruise lines would be similar.

The noise at night will generally vary by the detailed itinerary. For the most part cruising is generally done during the day, but you should easily be able to determine that from the itinerary. Passing through locks is where the most noise and vibration is, as they have to maneuver using the main propulsion and thrusters. The most noise would be on the lower deck and near the bow and stern. On the Seine cruise we seldom sailed at night and there were only a few locks. There are more locks and night cruising on the Danube and particularly on the Main-Danube Canal, We have never had a significant problem with the noise having cruised the Seine, Rhine, Main, Main-Danube Canal, Danube, Volga, Svir, Yangtze and Nile Rivers, sometimes on the lowest deck.

Yes, you can carry on a conversation at dinner, but there is background noise to contend with. The tables are closer together than on an ocean cruise and there are not alternate restaurants to take people away from the main dining room. The ceilings are also much lower, so there is less room to disipate the conversations. You can easily talk to the person next to or across from you, but beyond that might be difficult.

We have never felt insecure on the ship. Security varies by location. In Egypt, Russia and China, there were secutity personnel. Other than that, the person on the reception desk is the primary security. Some ships secure the gangway doors after a certain time, and passengers have a pin code to open them, otherwise the reception desk can let you in.

You don't have to take your passport when you leave the ship. They usually take and hold them for the duration of the cruise. If you have a border crossing that requires them, they deal with the border guards. You get a boarding pass when you leave the ship, this serves the multiple purposes of identifying you as a passenger, in the event of an accident or dealing with police, identification in boarding the ship before the desk personnel knows you, and most often to identify anyone that is not aboard before sailing. They don't always collect them when you return to the ship mid-day, but if they don't have it back before sailing time, they will page you. These are kept in your cabins mailbox, so it is a very quick and easy process to identify the missing ones.

John99 -

We have cruised with Uniworld, AMA and Scenic. The experiences were much the same on all.

However, we have never had our passports held for the entire cruise. They did take them to review upon boarding, but then returned them.

We have also had quite a bit of sailing at night. Passing through the locks may result in a bit of extra noise - but we have had a number of times where we just woke up to discover we had docked sometime during the night.

The dining rooms can be noisy at dinner time. We have noticed that the noise level seems to ramp up as the cruise goes on - perhaps because people have made friends - and want to share the experiences of the day. We usually "find" people we enjoy, and end up eating dinner with them quite a bit. On our next cruise, we are travelling with friends - so this will be a new experience for us.

We have always felt very safe travelling the rivers. We leave for our 5th river cruise in just over 2 weeks - and look forward to many more.

One word of warning, however - river cruising can be addictive!!

Fran

I really enjoy all the comments. We are looking at a river cruise for the first time after 12 oceans cruises. We seem to be leaning towards Uniworld and Viking (longboats) at the moment. So we are in the information and planning phase.

Can anyone comment on traveling during the night? Is there any vibration coming from the engines that keep you up at night?

During the evening meal, can a person carry on a conversation with others or is there background noise to content with? I’ve read some passengers on Viking have complained about noise levels being to loud in the dinning room.

How about security on board the boat? Do you feel safe?

Do you need to take your passport(s) with you when you leave the boat?

Do they have system to keep track of passengers when off the boat?

John

On our recent Viking cruise, we slept well at night while cruising, and I am a light sleeper.

The tables in the dining room are set up for 6 or 8 so, yes, conversations other than with the person next to or across from you can be difficult.

Our passports were held for 2days at the front desk and then we kept them in the safe in our cabin. When we left the ship we turned in our cabin key card and were given cards similar to a boarding pass. They had our name and a phone number to contact the ship in case of an emergency. When we returned to the ship each day, we turned in those cards and retrieved our key cards.

We took an AMA river cruise from Budapest to Russe. Although we enjoyed the trip, unlike many posters here, we prefer ocean cruising. It may have been the itinerary but we found the cruise to be a little slower paced than we are used to. We normally book our own excursions or set out on our own when we are cruising. Also, the ports we visited were very small towns and there wasn't a whole lot going on. Several of them required a rather long bus ride to the town and back. The food was generally very good, the service was outstanding and we enjoyed most of the people we met.....some were really very interesting. There were a few though that I could have done without as they seemed to want to challenge the guides about politics, thought they could reserve their own tables and were generally contentious. The only reason I mention this, is that on a river cruise, it's harder to avoid these people. Personally, I would rather do land tours in Europe. I would also like to encourage the purchase of cruise insurance.....we were unable to make our original cruise date because we couldn't fly to Europe due to the volcano in Iceland. The AMA people told me themselves that there were many people that lost their entire fares because they didn't have cruise insurance during this time. We actually made out well on the deal because we not only received our money back from the insurance company but the rebooked cruise was less expensive than the original cruise.

I have also written a blog on our cruise, jackthetravelingman-seine.blogspot.com.

Jack

Just want to compliment you, Jack, on the excellent blog. It was well-worth reading as we are going to do the Paris to Normandy cruise on Avalon this summer. We have planned our own post-cruise stay in a small hotel in the Rue Cler area of Paris.

Most helpful to our planning were your MAP links and descriptions of how much you were able to cover in one day. Delightful pictures as well, and thank you for the link to the description of your camera. Happy to learn about good digital cameras before I make my purchase. :-) I do hope you can find the time to caption your photos.

Jacquie

Archived