How does dining work in Aqua Class?

JeanfromBNA

My DH and I are in Aqua Class in late seating. I have learned through this board that we are assigned to Blu for all of our meals. We have read good things about Blu, and certainly plan to dine there, but we would also like to try the MDR. Can we do that? If so, how? Do we just show up, or would we make reservations or notify someone?

Blu is not open for lunch, but you will have access there for breakfast and dinner. If you want to try the main dining room for dinner you would check in with the maitre'd at the select dining area; so long as space is available (there almost always is) they will accommodate you. After having a meal or two in Blu though you may very well not want to eat in the main dining room; most (including myself) view Blu as a nice step up in quality and ambiance and would not want to downgrade to the main dining room, even if just for a night.

My DH and I are in Aqua Class in late seating. I have learned through this board that we are assigned to Blu for all of our meals. ...?

just to be clear, you may have booked your cabin with "late seating", but dining in Blu is entirely open seating. it's a quirk of the Celebrity booking system that requires Aqua class guests to select a dining time, but it is actually open seating.

just to be clear, you may have booked your cabin with "late seating", but dining in Blu is entirely open seating. it's a quirk of the Celebrity booking system that requires Aqua class guests to select a dining time, but it is actually open seating.

But my understanding is that, as AQ cruisers, we should show up for our first dinner at the assigned time. After that, we can go whenever we'd like.

Am I right?

But my understanding is that, as AQ cruisers, we should show up for our first dinner at the assigned time. After that, we can go whenever we'd like.

Am I right?

Yes that's what they ask, because they want to be sure that there isn't a crush of diners at one time. But they will accommodate you no matter what time you show up. The old adage fits, "The trouble with the restaurant business is that everyone gets hungry at the same time."

I think that you should try to MDR one night, especially if it's a long cruise. As well as trying a specialty restaurant. They are different experiences and that is what being on vacation is all about...different experiences. I love Blu and have booked my next cruise in Aqua Class simply for that benefit. To me it's like eating in a specialty restaurant every night.

Am I right?

Ignore that first night assignment....go when you want.

We had a group of 12 our first time on the Equinox in AQ, and we went to the maitre'D right when we boarded, and she arranged for us to have a table for all of us for the same time/same waiter each night. It worked great! We did the same thing when we sailed on her again later that year. After eating in Blu, you won't feel the need at all to try the MDR. Blu is like having your own specialty restaurant. We did try Murano and Tuscan Grille on the first sailing - both very good, but I thought that the Tuscan Grille was a bit better. We tried the Asian place on the second trip and found it not to be worth it at all.

When we sailed on the Eclipse on the 4th May, the letter requesting us to attend at our allotted time for the first night in Blu was in the cabin. It was completely ignored, and passengers just turned up when they wanted!

Richard

We just returned from the Equinox Med. cruise. We were originally booked in AQ mainly to eat breakfast and dinner in Blu, but then we upgraded to a suite which we loved! The only problem was, when we upgraded, we were put into select and had to prepay the tips. This was fine for the part that went to our butler and steward (both great and we added tips to them), but the waiter tips went to MDR where we ate only one lunch, no dinners. Some went to other personnel in the buffet where we did eat a couple of lunches. We ate in Blu six nights, specialties twice (part of the suite price) and the other 3 nights, we did not eat dinner as we had huge lunches late in port. After the first 2 nights in Blu, we were asked to pay $5 each which we didn't mind, but we felt that Blu should have been getting our tip money. We also felt that the waiters and others in the specialties expected a tip also which we thought should have been covered by the $60 and $80 upcharges.We did not add any tips except the wine tips which are added automatically. I did speak to the captain's club rep about the problem with the tips and said we did not expect anything to be changed for this cruise, but it should be dealt with by Celebrity. The food and Blu was good to very good and the service was fantastic. We ate at 6 pm every night.

My DH and I are in Aqua Class in late seating. I have learned through this board that we are assigned to Blu for all of our meals. We have read good things about Blu, and certainly plan to dine there, but we would also like to try the MDR. Can we do that? If so, how? Do we just show up, or would we make reservations or notify someone?
We did this twice a few weeks ago on the Solstice. Just showed up and they were able to accomodate us.

Hello,

This is a surprise.. (we are trying Aqua Class for the first time on Solstice this November, a 16-nt cruise).

We are long time fans of traditional dining.. Meeting folks at a large 8-10 person table, etc.; always finding at least one could with whom we get along swimmingly.. now... If I read this part correctly, If I understand correctly, not only is

1)Dinner is in Blu.. but

2) No set time (1st/2nd) seating throughout the sailing? And apparently this letter not even enforced...

We've had one bad experience with a wait listed dining.. and WHETHER 1st or 2nd seating, Strongly wish to have this set up prior to sailing.

3)... Is this then only available onboard through a Maitre d?

Blu looks fantastic... but how to SET a time to show?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hello,

This is a surprise.. (we are trying Aqua Class for the first time on Solstice this November, a 16-nt cruise).

We are long time fans of traditional dining.. Meeting folks at a large 8-10 person table, etc.; always finding at least one could with whom we get along swimmingly.. now... If I read this part correctly, If I understand correctly, not only is

1)Dinner is in Blu.. but

2) No set time (1st/2nd) seating throughout the sailing? And apparently this letter not even enforced...

We've had one bad experience with a wait listed dining.. and WHETHER 1st or 2nd seating, Strongly wish to have this set up prior to sailing.

Aqua Class and Blu are both fantastic. Blu is like having your own specialty dining room. As far as your dining time, you are supposed to get a card in your cabin telling you what time to show up on the first night, although it seems that most go when they want on that first night. There really is no first or second seating in Blu. We've been in AQ twice, and both times we just went to the maitre'd upon boarding and arranged our dining time with her directly. We had several in our party on each trip, so it was nice that she was able to set aside a table that was able to accommodate all of us for the same time every night. Basically, she held that table and we showed up around the same time every night. We never saw anyone waiting in line for Blu and pretty much saw the same people at the other tables each night. It really does work and it's so worth it.

This is a great thread and I has the same question as the OP. We're sailing AQ. Also right on board with bob221b1 - we'd still like to experience the large dining room with a group of strangers once or twice. by the end of the cruise we have some sort of relationship with everyone at the table (and of course nick names for all of them :-) ). We're looking forward to Blu but also planned some specialty dinners and hoping for the MDR once or twice.

Hello,

1)Dinner is in Blu.. but

Just let the staff know you'll be arriving around the same time ..we usually do & always were able to get our favorite wait staff in our fav location..great wine service too!!!..

No big tables unless you are with a group..Same folks show up around the same time--lots of chances to socialize--but a bit more independence which we like..

BLU is much more personal than the MDR so just relax & it will fall into place perfectly .. ...

Blu is an attempt at the snob appeal of Cunard , separate dining for the "elite". Many on our 2 week cruise preferred the MDR after a few dinners in Blu. No problem going to the MDR select if you are Aqua Class, just walk in. The MDR has more spirit and the food is fine not disguised with reductions. In Blu tuna tasted like steak, filet like liver if you could find it in the reduction, strip 3 in one, part gristle, part overcooked and a third just right. Less chance at meeting fellow travelllers at dinner. Too much effort at tables for 2 then put them 1 foot apart. Those who didn't switch to the MDR missed out.

Finally we are seeing less complaints on Cruise Critic about the food on Celebrity. We started cruising in the 80's and thouigh expensive, food was not the discussion, the ship's features and ports were.

Love Celebrity, just cancelled a boooking on another line in favour of a Celebrity cruise. Celebrity closer to classic cruising, not a theme park.

Blu is an attempt at the snob appeal of Cunard , separate dining for the "elite". Many on our 2 week cruise preferred the MDR after a few dinners in Blu. No problem going to the MDR select if you are Aqua Class, just walk in. The MDR has more spirit and the food is fine not disguised with reductions.

While some people do prefer the MDR, the vast majority who have experienced both prefer Blu. Blu is set up more like an actual restaurant with food cooked to order. Plating tends to be more attractive, the food a tad healthier and gourmet, and a nicer ambiance. The MDR is like a banquet hall. They do a great job with the resources they have, but the food is mass produced and much of it preplated. The MDR is also extremely loud and since there have been cutbacks in the staff to passengers ratio in the MDR, service can be slow.

This is a great thread and I has the same question as the OP. We're sailing AQ. Also right on board with bob221b1 - we'd still like to experience the large dining room with a group of strangers once or twice. by the end of the cruise we have some sort of relationship with everyone at the table (and of course nick names for all of them :-) ). We're looking forward to Blu but also planned some specialty dinners and hoping for the MDR once or twice.

This is precisely why we don't book AQ. We really enjoy the large tables and making new friends and look forward to dinners every night. Unless you butt into someone else's conversation in Blu, you are dining by yourselves. I do think the food is a bit better and the service is great, but it's just not for us. As an aside, honestly, I don't think either CC or AQ are worth the money--a regular balcony cabin is the best deal and provides everything you need at a great price. Just my opinion after having sailed S class multiple times now.

My suggestion would be to try Blu the first night; if you enjoy the food and ambiance, you might perhaps be able to satisfy your desire for group dining by having lunches in the MDR? But if you find that the food/ambiance of Blu isn't your cup of tea, you can always revert to the MDR for dinner.

We loved Blu, though it is slightly unsettling not to be guaranteed seating at a specific time, especially if you're trying to schedule dinner around a particular show time. The last night, we arrived at 6:30 pm; since there were no 2-tops available at the time, we were asked to return 30 minutes later, at which point we still had to wait another 10 minutes to be seated. That evening was something of an anomaly, though - usually, our wait was no more than 5 minutes (though most evenings we dined closer to 7 pm, or a bit later) . Not sure why that last dinner was so busy, even into the later dining hours - perhaps there were some non-Aqua guests trying it out on their last night aboard?

This is precisely why we don't book AQ. We really enjoy the large tables and making new friends and look forward to dinners every night. Unless you butt into someone else's conversation in Blu, you are dining by yourselves. I do think the food is a bit better and the service is great, but it's just not for us. As an aside, honestly, I don't think either CC or AQ are worth the money--a regular balcony cabin is the best deal and provides everything you need at a great price. Just my opinion after having sailed S class multiple times now.

Our AQ cabin was less than a balcony cabin. It was a no brainer for us to try the new cabins on the 11th deck, and we like the amenities.

Just off 25 nights on the Equinox in Aqua eating at Blu, I agree with many of the observations here....there are pluses and perhaps some minuses.

We've decided that the over-riding factor for us is that the ambience of Blu overrides any of the negatives...that is, it's a quiet restaurant where you can actually talk, there is far less commotion of waiters, busboys, etc constantly moving around, clanking dishes, rushing by with huge platters of food.

The food in Blu is good, with many sauces that would be good on shoe laces. It's also perhaps a little more healthy...I don't recall seeing a potato during our 25 nights. If something is not to your liking, they will gladly replace it with something else. We generally eat at Murano and Tuscan at least once on every cruise, but we liked Blu enough that on our second cruise (B2B) we skipped the specialty restaurants.

Archived