Crown Princess R750 Portholes or Windows?

pinkkitkat

Hi All,

I've read that the Crown Princess has portholes instead of windows for the oceanview room on the Riviera deck aft cabins (R750 specifically). The sister ship Emerald sounds like it has been updated to windows, but the Crown hasn't.

Can anyone confirm? Thanks so much

I've stayed in R748 which is next door to R750. It has portholes. I'm going to try to add a picture for you. This is the first time I've tried this, so we'll see if it works.

WooHoo, it worked!

DSCF0025.jpg.8cfed99faaba907e45226f2c6325bbc3.jpg

Edited by KruzPrincess

I've stayed in R748 which is next door to R750. It has portholes. I'm going to try to add a picture for you. This is the first time I've tried this, so we'll see if it works.

WooHoo, it worked!

Thanks for the pic,we are in cabin r749 for our med cruise an upgrade from a ov what did you think of it what are the pro,s and con,s of the cabin

any feed back would be good

Edited by justhooked

Thanks for the pic,we are in cabin r749 for our med cruise an upgrade from a ov what did you think of it what are the pro,s and con,s of the cabin

any feed back would be good

The location is wonderful. It's so convenient to everything. It's kind of like the terrace pool area is your balcony. There's the bar up a flight and then the back entrance to the Horizon Court to just grab something if you want. The only drawback, for me, would be for R747 and R748 which are the cabins right next to the doors to the aft area. The doors to go outside can slam really hard especially if people have their balcony doors open. It is kind of like a wind tunnel. Fortunately, there wasn't a lot of traffic there during my cruise, but the door slamming did get a bit annoying by the end of the cruise. I think R749 and R750 would be much better. My neighbors said they could hear the door slam, too, but it didn't bother them as much. Sometimes the doors don't slam at all and sometimes they do. It all depends on the air flow. I like the location enough that I book a balcony there on another ship for a future cruise.

Thanks for the info all!

I was worried that it would be a bad cabin. Thanks for the reassurance. And the portholes don't look as bad as I thought. I thought it would have been only one tiny porthole.

Thanks for the info all!

I was worried that it would be a bad cabin. Thanks for the reassurance. And the portholes don't look as bad as I thought. I thought it would have been only one tiny porthole.

They're "his and hers".:p

I'm in r750 on the Emerald with regular windows, so this question did interest me. I think portholes would be fine even though on the Emerald I am glad I have windows. But knowing how close it is to the pool and the buffet is a big plus, so I'm also looking forward to staying in this cabin.

I have aft pictures of both ships that show the difference. Hopefully this works (I've never tried to attach photos before)

Not sure why they didn't just install the regular windows in the first place on all the Grand Class ships. :(

We stayed in R749 (?) the most on the right on Caribbean Princess.

Portholes are ok, you can only look at the window from your bed anyway. I thought room was a bit smaller, or maybe it just felt this way.

One very serious concern is a movement. Even in relatively calm seas you will feel it. We were awaken every morning rolling from one side to another... yes it was Atlantic coastal cruise, but most of the people in the other locations haven't felt any of it.

Huge plus is location. You basically 1 step from the Terrace pool and buffets. Loved it

Portholes are ok, you can only look at the window from your bed anyway. I thought room was a bit smaller, or maybe it just felt this way.

One very serious concern is a movement. Even in relatively calm seas you will feel it. We were awaken every morning rolling from one side to another... yes it was Atlantic coastal cruise, but most of the people in the other locations haven't felt any of it.

Huge plus is location. You basically 1 step from the Terrace pool and buffets. Loved it

I forgot to mention that there is some motion there. I like rocking, so I was OK. There was some decent jerking, though, that woke me a few times.

• 2 years later...
I'm in r750 on the Emerald with regular windows, so this question did interest me. I think portholes would be fine even though on the Emerald I am glad I have windows. But knowing how close it is to the pool and the buffet is a big plus, so I'm also looking forward to staying in this cabin.

We are booked on the Emerald TA to Barcelona from Houston April 2015 in R 750. This is our first cruise not having a balcony (not a balcony snob so please do not flame me!) as we do enjoy having our own private outside area. We booked this OV due to cost savings. This being our first time in an OV we are a little apprehensive. Thanks to all on this thread for the very good information provided. I am feeling better and better with our decision.....thanks to you CruiseCritic posters! :)

We are booked on the Emerald TA to Barcelona from Houston April 2015 in R 750. This is our first cruise not having a balcony (not a balcony snob so please do not flame me!) as we do enjoy having our own private outside area. We booked this OV due to cost savings. This being our first time in an OV we are a little apprehensive. Thanks to all on this thread for the very good information provided. I am feeling better and better with our decision.....thanks to you CruiseCritic posters! :)

Regardless you have the Terrace pool and the HC right out your back door.

Great location! :D

Regardless you have the Terrace pool and the HC right out your back door.

Great location! :D

......for the reassurance! I was thinking about canceling this cruise or trying to upgrade from this cabin. We have decided to stand pat and give it a go.

Thanks for the info all!

I had that cabin on Grand. The portholes are very recessed.

Imagine that you are looking into a big cardboard box, with

a porthole at the bottom. You can tell if it's day or night,

but it's hard to get your head close enough to see outside.

I would pick an obstructed view window over those cabins.

I had always heard this about any OV room. I was quite surprised on our recent 10 day cruise on Star Princess. We had an OV and the bed wasn't under the window. We had an obstuced OV (E407) but had checked on Renmar's site so we knew the obstruction wasn't horrible - not like having a lifeboat outside the window or anything. The head of the bed was against a different wall and the desk area was between the bed and the window so it was more like the window setup in a regular hotel room.

My wife has expressed a good deal of interest in trying one of these porthole rooms due to the location. Having the pool right there, having the deck above the pool as a "balcony", having the back door of HC right there. It seems to be a very convenient location. We've had an aft cabin before (C752 on Grand - LOVED that cabin!) so we know the motion is fine for us.

Yes, but regular OV has larger windows.

Most of the mornings we were waking up rolling from one side of bed to another. :)

But location is great yes. Terrace pool after hours becames your private backyard. :)