HELP! Need an answer quick!

catsforkids

Sorry, but I am booking the Star from Seattle to Vancouver ( 1 day) and the Star from Vancouver to San Francisco (2 day) since I am on the west coast for a family fling.

Will this be allowed? I know there are rules & I want to make sure this is allowed.

Thanks so much!

You may be denied boarding. The US is serious about violations. For you there would be a $300 fine. For Princess, they could be denied the right to call upon US ports if they were deemed to be willfully violating the law.

Why would they offer such a cruise if it was not legal?

It's not one cruise, it's two. Done separately they're fine, it's the combining of the two that isn't legal. The OP essentially booked themselves a Seattle to San Francisco cruise. That violates the PVSA.

Since there is a stop in Vancouver I would not think that this would be a problem. Of course I could be wrong.. There are certainly cruises through the panama canal from FLL to SF and FLL to LA. These have a stop at a foreign country.

From Seattle to SF would not be allowed without a stop in Vancouver, BC.

Since there is a stop in Vancouver I would not think that this would be a problem. Of course I could be wrong.. There are certainly cruises through the panama canal from FLL to SF and FLL to LA. These have a stop at a foreign country.

From Seattle to SF would not be allowed without a stop in Vancouver, BC.

Sorry, that's wrong. Vancouver is not a foreign distant port, it's just a foreign port. Vancouver would only count if it were a Seattle return, or a San Francisco Return sailing, it's not, it's a one way.

There are plenty of posts on the PVSA here.

Sorry, that's wrong. Vancouver is not a foreign distant port, it's just a foreign port. Vancouver would only count if it were a Seattle return, or a San Francisco Return sailing, it's not, it's a one way.

There are plenty of posts on the PVSA here.

Ok, so it has to be not only a foreign port, but a foreign distant port.. How distant? Obviously a stop in Panama or South America is required for the Panama canal cruises, And there is a difference between returning to the same port and sailing between different ports. That explains Ensenada as a stop on a round trip from LA. as it is not very far.

Just trying to figure this out.

Ok, so it has to be not only a foreign port, but a foreign distant port.. How distant? Obviously a stop in Panama or South America is required for the Panama canal cruises, And there is a difference between returning to the same port and sailing between different ports. That explains Ensenada as a stop on a round trip from LA. as it is not very far.

Just trying to figure this out.

Yeah, two sets of rules. On a one way..ie the LA to Ft. Lauderdale Panama canal cruises, it has to be a foreign distant port, Columbia, Aruba, Curacao all count. For return cruises or closed loop cruises, it just has to be a foreign port. That's why Victoria is on a lot of the Seattle Alaska cruises.

Technically, it can't be two ships within the same line. Its the carrier, not the ship. Its just harder to catch if not on the same ship.

Basically, on the same trip, Princess cannot transport you between two US points without a distant foreign port (hence the reason the one way Alaska trips go back and forth from Vancouver). Now, if you overnighted in Vancouver, and got on the next day, you would be OK.

The same rule prevents cruise ships from having passengers on certain repositionings.

Technically, it can't be two ships within the same line. Its the carrier, not the ship. Its just harder to catch if not on the same ship. It can be two ships on the same line.

Basically, on the same trip, Princess cannot transport you between two US points without a distant foreign port (hence the reason the one way Alaska trips go back and forth from Vancouver). Now, if you overnighted in Vancouver, and got on the next day, you would be OK. Or embarked on a different ship (same or different cruise line) the same day.

The same rule prevents cruise ships from having passengers on certain repositionings.

see above in red

The OP is on the same ship. Thats the issue.

2 different ships no problem.

Or the same ship if the next day.

The same rules apply to commercial aviation. A foreign carrier (for example Air Canada) cannot transport passengers between Los Angeles and New York on the same plane. However, one can fly from Los Angeles to Toronto, change to a different Air Canada plane and fly on to New York.

Then, how do they explain the Alaska cruises that are round trip from Seattle with a stop in Victoria? I wouldn't think that is a "distant foreign port."

You aren't being transported between two spots. You get on in Seattle, you get off in Seattle. However, in order to that, since the ship does stop in other US ports, they have to stop somewhere foreign, hence the stop in Victoria.

Thanks for the great information about a somewhat confusing law. The only unanswered question is:

How far is "distant" as apparently Vancouver is "not distant enough"?

There was a post about airlines and it mentioned Toronto.. That is not very "distant" from Detroit. Ok, so that might require a change of planes in Toronto instead of a simple stopover to avoid the rule.

Thanks for the great information about a somewhat confusing law. The only unanswered question is:

How far is "distant" as apparently Vancouver is "not distant enough"?

There was a post about airlines and it mentioned Toronto.. That is not very "distant" from Detroit. Ok, so that might require a change of planes in Toronto instead of a simple stopover to avoid the rule.

How far is distant? nothing in North America qualifies.

Archived